It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• high grade biopsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
    heath18
    (female)

heath18 HB User
    high grade biopsy

what does it mean to have high grade biopsy?
    i just got my results back from my biopsy, and they said it was high grade. they told me it was to complicated to explain, and that scares me!
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
    thanks

Last edited by heath18; 01-20-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: high grade biopsy

I'm sorry to hear you have this results on your pap. If you haven't received a copy of your lab report(s), I highly suggest you ask for them.

High risk is also called CIN III (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia) it is also called cervical dysplasia. You might search for information on those topics. That ought to help explain things.

What has your doctor said is the next step?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
    heath18
    (female)

heath18 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you have this results on your pap. If you haven't received a copy of your lab report(s), I highly suggest you ask for them.

High risk is also called CIN III (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia) it is also called cervical dysplasia. You might search for information on those topics. That ought to help explain things.

What has your doctor said is the next step?
    Well I talked to my doctor today and had her better explain my results. She said
    that basically my cells are just not that healthy, but not so bad that have to remove them yet. They want me to come in every 4 months to keep an eye on them and if it gets worse the next step will be to remove them.

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Do you know what type of dysplasia you have? squamous cell or glandular/columnar cell?

I still think with a CIN III (severe/high grade dysplasi) results it is prudent to seek the advice of a gyn/onc. They are the experts in precancerous and cancer care. Ob/gyns deal with fertility, pregnancy, and delivery on a daily basis, not cancer. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
    heath18
    (female)

heath18 HB User

Quote:
    Do you know what type of dysplasia you have? squamous cell or glandular/columnar cell?

I still think with a CIN III (severe/high grade dysplasi) results it is prudent to seek the advice of a gyn/onc. They are the experts in precancerous and cancer care. Ob/gyns deal with fertility, pregnancy, and delivery on a daily basis, not cancer. Just my 2 cents.
    She said it is squamous which means unhealthy cells. She also said that sometimes your immune system can take care of the bad cells. She doesn't feel that the cells are severe but they do need to be looked at every 4 months, and if the cells change or get worse that's when the next step will take place.

Do you think that my cells are precancerous?

I do agree with you though, a second opinion never hurts!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dysplasia means atypical cell growth. Squamous is the type of cells that are on the outer cervix (where paps usually scrap and the colpo views). Glandular/columnar are the types of cells that are in the upper part of the cervix (that can't be seen or scraped by a pap - it requires an ECC (endocervica curettage) to sample those cells.

CIN I, II, and III are all precancerous. Carcinoma/adenocarcinoma in situ is sometimes considered precancerous and other times it is called stage 0 cancer. Then you have cancers. So if you have CIN III you are on the upper edge of precancerous cells. I'm sorry to tell you that, but that is how it lies.

I have read of women who have had CIN I (mild dypslasia) and CIN II (moderate dysplasia) improve over time. I don't recall reading of CIN III regressing.

Of course, some of that depends on your age. If you are under 30 you have better chances of your body improving the situation (though it may not complete improve CIN III to no dysplasia). If you are over 30, the body just isn't as likely to fight the HPV (the virus which causes cervical dysplasia).

CIN I and CIN II are usually watched- and rechecked after several months. If, after several rechecks it doesn't progress, then the doctor usually moves to the next step (whatever that might be). With CIN III, I've never heard of a doctor waiting and rechecking, regardless of the woman's age.

What did the doctor say would be the next step? A colposcopy? a LEEP or cold knife cone biopsy? When is your next appointment with your doctor?

You need to do what is best for yourself.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
    heath18
    (female)

heath18 HB User

Quote:
    Dysplasia means atypical cell growth. Squamous is the type of cells that are on the outer cervix (where paps usually scrap and the colpo views). Glandular/columnar are the types of cells that are in the upper part of the cervix (that can't be seen or scraped by a pap - it requires an ECC (endocervica curettage) to sample those cells.

CIN I, II, and III are all precancerous. Carcinoma/adenocarcinoma in situ is sometimes considered precancerous and other times it is called stage 0 cancer. Then you have cancers. So if you have CIN III you are on the upper edge of precancerous cells. I'm sorry to tell you that, but that is how it lies.

I have read of women who have had CIN I (mild dypslasia) and CIN II (moderate dysplasia) improve over time. I don't recall reading of CIN III regressing.

Of course, some of that depends on your age. If you are under 30 you have better chances of your body improving the situation (though it may not complete improve CIN III to no dysplasia). If you are over 30, the body just isn't as likely to fight the HPV (the virus which causes cervical dysplasia).

CIN I and CIN II are usually watched- and rechecked after several months. If, after several rechecks it doesn't progress, then the doctor usually moves to the next step (whatever that might be). With CIN III, I've never heard of a doctor waiting and rechecking, regardless of the woman's age.

What did the doctor say would be the next step? A colposcopy? a LEEP or cold knife cone biopsy? When is your next appointment with your doctor?

You need to do what is best for yourself.
    I am 23. The way the doctor explained it to me was you have ascus ( not sure on the spelling) cells, high grade, then it branches off from high grade levels 1, 2 & 3 and then cancer. She said I do not have HPV. She said that I am in the middle of that scale, just high grade. She said my cells are unhealthy but not to the point they need to be removed yet.

I started out with an abnormal pap so they re-papped me. That one came back abnormal as well so they did a colposcopy. The colposcopy came back that I had unhealthy cells, no mention of high grade. They made me wait 4 months and re-papped me again, that came back abnormal. So they just did another biopsy and that's when she told me the biopsy was high grade.

I posted on here b/c she said it was too complicated to explain, but i called her a yesterday after i did some research and that's when she went gave me more information.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

With a history of repeated abnormal paps and colpos with biopsies, I'd be pushing my doctor to do something other than wait and watch. Wait and watch doesn't mean indefinately.

Do you have copies of your pathology reports from the paps, colpos and biopsies? If not, I highly recommend you request them. They will give you more information.

I disagree with your doctor, it isn't "too complicated to explain." It might be too complicated to explain in the time period she had to give to you, but I firmly believe you should know what is going on with your body. You have a right to that knowledge. I encourage you to seek understanding. Understanding, afterall helps empower us.\

Eta: I'd likely seek a second opinion if doctor ever told me it was "too complicated to explain." I'd expect him/her to give me some literature or send me to a website to seek information. But that is me.

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 01-22-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: eta the ETA stuff

Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
    Drafly
    Inactive
    (female)

Drafly HB User

I totally agree Pickle. If my doctor would not make the choice to provide the time necessary to answer my questions I would be off to someone else as well. This type of condescending response is just inexcusable. We are not idiots, and you do not need to be a rocket scientist to understand what can be a simple yet encompassing explanation. Simple does not necessarily mean short. To tell a patient they have "high grade" cells and not be doing HPV testing is just reprehensible in my opinion. Then again, it may be that this doctor doesn't have enough significant information to answer these questions which is still inexcusable. If you don't have the answer as a doctor, then go get it, call a colleague, do some research but don't just flippantly dismiss your patient's concerns.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
    heath18
    (female)

heath18 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dragonfly23 View Post
    I totally agree Pickle. If my doctor would not make the choice to provide the time necessary to answer my questions I would be off to someone else as well. This type of condescending response is just inexcusable. We are not idiots, and you do not need to be a rocket scientist to understand what can be a simple yet encompassing explanation. Simple does not necessarily mean short. To tell a patient they have "high grade" cells and not be doing HPV testing is just reprehensible in my opinion. Then again, it may be that this doctor doesn't have enough significant information to answer these questions which is still inexcusable. If you don't have the answer as a doctor, then go get it, call a colleague, do some research but don't just flippantly dismiss your patient's concerns.
    I thank you Pickle for all your advice! You are right Dragonfly it is inexcusable!! I just wish I was more knowledgeable about this whole thing! I feel left in the dark about it! It's scary especially when it has to do with your body! I am going to get a second opinion from another doctor this coming week!!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I also suggest you do some research online. Be sure you stick with reputable sites. Start with the .gov sites (like Center for Disease Control). Try to avoid all of the horror stories that can appear on discussion boards! I learned that lesson the hard way!

Closed Thread