It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

first time cone biopsy... scared

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Whos
(female)

Whos HB User
Unhappy first time cone biopsy... scared

Hi, I am 25 yr old. I just started to do annual pap smear since Jan 2008 because I was not sextually active before that. The first one is normal, then this Jan I went for annual test again. To my surprise, I recevied call back from my dr saying the result is abnormal and positive for high risk HPV. I then had a colposcopy & biospy and on this Monday I was told that the result is High Grade SIL. My doctor suggest do cone biopsy and since I do not have child yet, she said she will just do a narrow cut, she assured me that it will be a small surgery to her and should be no problem. So I scheduled for tomorrow coz I want to remove the precancerous cell as soon as possible. However this morning I started to bleeding, it is little bit ealier than my regular period (I am on birth control pill and because I was afraid that hormonal pill will exaggravate precancer cell, I stopped it). I guess I have to reschedule the surgery now but that makes me so scared, cannot eat and sleep, i do not want to wait, anybody can give me more information on this?

Will my severe dysplasia get worse over the waiting? what will happen after the surgery? will that clear my precancerous problem? I asked my dr why I get to high grad so rapidly, she said she really does not know, but she asked whether I've been stressed out and it may happen when my immune system degrade because of stress, is it true? I did have emotional stress and little bit depression over last year, what should I do to keep healty because I am still young for example what to eat? exerice?. Many many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
Re: first time cone biopsy... scared

whos,

Your story sounds so similar to mine. I wasn't sexually active until I was 25; I am now 26. The only difference is that I have adenocarcinoma in situ, which means glandular cells are involved.

I just had the cone biospsy on Tuesday. Honestly, I was FREAKING OUT before it. I waited about 2 weeks from diagnosis to surgery, and it was really awful. It just so emotional knowing that you have that badness inside you!

The surgery was no big deal. I had cramps yesterday, but today I am absolutely fine. I feel SO MUCH better now that it is over. I can finally relax.

Are they putting you under? That really is what it is taking me time to recover from. The anethesia made me sleepy and I'm still a bit tired. Just make sure to take a couple of days off to relax.

As for the waiting, it really won't matter AT ALL physically speaking. It takes a long time for those lesions to grow, and like 10 years before high grade lesions become cancerous. Don't worry about it.

Emotionally speaking, I know that sitting around waiting for this surgery is absolutely awful. Try to keep as good of an attitude as you can. It will be over soon.

There is no "guarantee" that any medical procedure will solve you problem, but ask your doctor. The recurrence rate for SIL is low.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Lily

Old 02-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Whos
(female)

Whos HB User

Thank you so much Lily. Hope you are healing well.

I am freaking out also because I keep asking my dr why things will happen so rapid, but she keep saying do not know. Your case also seems to be very rapid, did you ask why? When my dr was doing the colposcopy, she said everything looks fine, she did see something and took the biospy but she said looks like it's healing.....but then it turned out to be High Grad....

I am so afraid of "cannot explained reasons", because I really want to know what I can do after the sugrey to improve myself and keep away from the risk factor.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

Yes, it happened very fast! It was absolutely shocking! I cried constantly. I thought of it as dark cloud that was just going to follow me aroung for forever! I don't have my pathology results back yet, but I feel like since it has happened so fast, it must have been caught at an early stage. This must be good, right?

Stress can defintely hurt your immune system, which is just one more thing to be stressed about right?

I've started doing things a little differently to help my stress levels out I've had 2 massages and a facial in the last 2 weeks! I figure it's a medical necessity, right? Luckily my mom agrees with me and has agreed to finance it!

Also, I've started doing other things that are good for me like eating vegetables. I've started taking a really good multivitamin along with coriolus versicolor, which has actually been shown to help decrease the size of low grade lesions. It has never been tested on adenocarcinoma in situ, but whatever. Every little bit helps, right?

Also, my boyfriend start me on this whole process of "visualization." I hate possums more than any other creature in the entire world, so I spend 10 minutes a day imagining I am in a cave (my cervix) plucking possums off the floor and hitting them with a tennis racket right out of my cervix. My boyfriend always asks me, "Have you fought your possums today?" He is too cute.

Okay, I am dumb. I know it. But the recurrence rate for AIS is like 5-10%. I feel like it shouldn't be that hard to push me into the 90% that doesn't recur, right? Recurrence is just NOT part of my "Life Plan." It's just not.

Now it took me quite a long time to come to this attitude. I hope you can find a similar one for yourself. I feel so relieved that the naughty cells have been removed. I'm going to be okay for forever! I've decided.

For high grade SIL, I believe the prognosis is even better that for AIS. It takes much longer for SIL to become cancer than for AIS, so even if it does come back, you could get more treatment, ugh, but you will be fine.

You (and me too!) will have to continue to get checked to make sure we are okay. But that's not such a big deal, right? More like an annoyance than anything else.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by LilyL21; 02-04-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Whos
(female)

Whos HB User

wow, Lily, your attitude really impressed me, I am generally not a positive person, that's why I got depression and sleeping problems last year... but I shall fight and start to live and eat healthy. coriolus versicolor is good thing so are those kinds of mushroom, I am from Asia, so I should have known.

I just called my dr, and she said if I am ok, she can still do the cone tomorrow. I am going, wish me luck

Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
ny28
(female)

ny28 HB User

i just want to say that i can relate to WHOS. i am awaiting to have a cone biopsy done but these dr.'s are lame...i've been needing of a cone biopsy since like october i can't even expain what these months have been like to me...HMO'S SUCK. i am terrified that my problem has progressed due to this long wait. the last time i went to my dr.visit was on Jan. 13th and still to this day no surgery...can anyone tell me anything good right about now? just to feel a lil bit more relaxed?????

Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Whos, I'm sorry to hear about this.

The pap is a screening tool. It doesn't sample all of the cervix. It only samples the part of the cervix that is scraped. A doctor attempts to scrape as much as he/she can, but he/she isn't able to scrape all of the exocervix. The exocervix is made up on squamous cells and only the outer 1/3 of the cervix is made up of squamous cells. There is plenty of territory that isn't sampled.

The colposcopy looks more closely at the exocervix and the Transition Zone (TZ). Sometimes a doctor will do an ECC (endocervical curettage) when he/she does a colposcopy. It is the only non-surgical way to sample the tissue in the endocervical canal.

The LEEP (or LLETZ, or cold knife cone, or top hat cone) removes tissue from the endocervical canal, and outward in a conical shape. Sometimes a cone biopsy (any of those procedures I just mentioned) is diagnostic and treatment. Othertimes they are just diagnostic.

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you are doing.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

Oh good luck! I am sure everything will be fine. You will be much better once it's over.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
zoe96
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

I only have a minute right now but wanted to respond quickly. I just had a cold knife cone on 1/15/09, and honestly it was not bad at all. I had it done on a Thursday afternoon, and was back at work on Tuesday (would have gone Monday but it was a holiday). The healing has been fine, I really didn't have any pain, and basically took no pain meds after the first 12 hours.

Keep us posted on the results....Lily, keep us posted as well (sorry if you discussed your results and I missed it)

((hugs))

Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

No, I haven't received my results yet. My doctor said it would take 10 days to 2 weeks. I told her to expect my call sooner than that. She laughed and nodded. I think everyone calls early.

Then she warned me that her busy days are Wed, Thurs, and Fri, and that she might not be able to call me until late in the evening. So I'm thinking that's when she expects to call me.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
Whos
(female)

Whos HB User

hey Ladies, I just got back home, it was not too bad, just a little bit pain. My dr did not tell me to expect any result though...but I will see her after 2 weeks and find out, hope the edge is clean. Lily, keep us updated and thank you for all the replies, I feel much better now.

Closed Thread