It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

I'm having a conization done

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
ny28
(female)

ny28 HB User
I'm having a conization done

hey guys, i'm getting a cone biopsy done on the 18th...i'm very very nervous...any advice from someone who's had one will help...i'm terrified!
these last months have been horrible. i can't seem to think of anything else but that...help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
zoe96
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User
Re: I'm having a conization done

Hi there -- sorry for the circumstances that brought you here, but welcome anyway!! I had a cold knife cone biopsy on Jan 15, and honestly it was not bad AT ALL. Right now (3 1/2 weeks later) I would not know I had anything done from a physical standpoint. I had the procedure on a Thursday afternoon, was home by dinnertime that evening, and was out and about on Sunday (although taking it easy) and returned to work on Tuesday (would have gone on Monday but it was a holiday). Aside from waking up with a wicked cramp which subsided within a day (which I think was from the D&C they did to biopsy the uterus), I had no real pain to speak of. I had one Vicodin in the hospital before I left, then one 800mg motrin the next day....and that was it.

I actually had a Reiki session with a friend of mine to calm me down the night before I went in for the procedure, and I swear it helped. I was a nervous wreck and a basket case, but I tried to remain as positive as possible, and I actually went into the procedure very, very calm.

They will probably tell you the pathology report will take a week or two, but I would ask one of the nurses what realistically is the timing. They told me 5-7 business days, and I actually had my report on the Tuesday following my Thursday procedure. The waiting for the results was the hardest part of the entire process.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing, and feel free to check in and vent any fears, et cetera....maybe we can help a little!!!

((hugs))

Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi ny28! Like zoe said, I'm sorry you are going through this, but I'm glad you've found us! We'll do our best to answer your questions, and listen to your fears and worries, and do our best to help you understand what is happening.

Do you know if you are having a cold knife cone biopsy under general anesthesia or a LEEP (under general or at the doctor's office). They are different ways of getting the cone biopsy. They are performed slightly differently and recovery is slightly different.

I had a cold knife cone biopsy under general anesthesia back in April. I was told the results would be in in 5-7 working days. I called on the 4th day and they were in.

I had my surgery on a Friday morning (6:30) and was home before noon. At that time my doctor did another ECC, the CKC, a D&C, and a uterine biopsy. I slept most of the day Friday, a lot of Saturday, went to the grocery store with hubby on Sunday (he pushed the cart, I just went for the "outing" hahaha), and I was back to work feeling ok on Monday.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
JessicainCanada
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

Hi NY! .....I hear you on the obsessive thinking part. All of us here (Pretty sure all of us anyhow) went/or are going through the same thing and it indeed awful! ****hugs***** I had visions of a bald head and chemotherapy running through my head after JUST the negative pap came back.
A couple of things to think about as you read stuff online is that each one of our situations is different in terms of what will happen,and so is yours. One thing that a very smart lady told me when I get that negative/obsessive thinking, is that I was lucky that they didnt find this years later because I might be dealing with my worst fears as above mentioned.

I was diagnosed with CINIII and have decided that I'm ready for a hysterectomy as I have had problems with my cycles all my life, and had a tubal ligation last year and don't have a fertility future so to speak. We are all here to help and vent if needed to!. Make sure you keep us up to date on what happens and take care ...

~Jess

Old 02-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
ny28
(female)

ny28 HB User

i just want to thank all of you for your advice and loving support...it's here where i can honestly get my questions answered..none of my friends can relate...i feel like my world is cumbling down!....I'm not sure what exactly i'm having..i know so little about this...all i know is the doctor said i needed a conization he explained to me what the procedure was for, he even said i should be alright, he checked me and said my cervix was soft and looked alright but honestly i'm not sure if dr.'s are honest when it comes to these things...Zoe what is a D&C? and pickle eyes, what is a ECC and a CKC? i have so many questions right now it's driving me crazy...
I'm going to register at the hospital on the 17th and see my DR. he'll tell me then what time to go in the next day and hopefully he can explain some more.
any questions you guys think i should ask prior to the surgery?
thanks soooo much ladies!

Last edited by ny28; 02-08-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
zoe96
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

Hi again, NY!!

A D&C is a dilation and curretage; basically the doctor goes in and scrapes the uterus. This is done for a variety of reasons, but in my case was done to see if there were any cancerous cells found in the uterus.

And ECC is an endocervical curretage, and is a sampling of the tissue from farther up the cervix (endocervix, part closer to the uterus), and is done to see what's going on with the cells in the upper, nonvisible part of the cervix.

A CKC is a cold knife cone biopsy. There are a couple of ways to obtain a cone biopsy; sometimes with a LEEP, which uses a hot wire to cut the cone shaped piece; sometimes with a scalpel (cold knife). In my case the doctor did the CKC, and then cauterized the area to kill off any cells that might be on the margin, as well as to stop the bleeding. In case you don't know what they mean by margin, when they take your tissue sample, what the doctor wants to see is how much of the edge is free of diseased tissue (that is the margin, the part between the end of the involved tissue/tumor and the edge of the sample).

A LEEP burns the edges of the biopsy sample (since it's being done with a hot wire), which can make it hard to tell if the margins are clean if the sample goes right to the edge. A cold knife cone gives clean edges, and makes it easier to determine the margins, since the tissue is undamaged on the sample.

If you are going into the hospital for the procedure, you are most likely having a CKC. Like I said before, it honestly wasn't bad at all.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling like nobody "gets" what you are going through. My friends are really supportive, but right now my whole life revolves around figuring out how to best handle my situation, and regular life has come to a virtual standstill. I feel like I am the most boring, obsessed, irrational and hysterical person around. And yes, I also feel like my world has been crumbling down....so you are not alone. I think it's just a normal part of this miserable, scary process. Now let's hope that your cone comes back great, and the worrying and fear for you will be over!!!

If you have any other questions, just feel free to PM me or post them here.

((hugs))

Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zoe answered all of your questions, from what I can tell.

When I had my CKC my doctor did the D&C to sample the cells in the uterus to determine if my adenocarcinoma in situ had spread up there. She also did a uterine biopsy. I think it is kind of like a pinch biopsy, but I'm not positive.

At the time, I didn't understand why she was doing all of those procedures. After I got the results back I was glad she had because it reassured me that my cancer was contained within my cervix and hadn't spread to my uterus.

Let us know if we can help you in any way! ((((hugs)))))

Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
ny28
(female)

ny28 HB User

WOW! Thank you so much for all the info..
so when do you get a ECC, a D&C done? is this all done when they do the cone biopsy?
I feel a million times better now that i'm getting all this info and support from you ladies who know EXACTLY what i'm going through..i can't thank you enough. I will try to set my mind straight and feel confident that everything will turn out alright....I NEED TO. I have a 2yo son that needs me and me feeling like i have been, is in a way being selfish...i dont want him to see me sad no more... I will continue to take any advice you ladies give me and like i said before thank you..((hugs)) to you all aswell.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
ny28
(female)

ny28 HB User

Pickle Eyes, so after you had the CKC results. They told you that you had the cancer in your cervix but not in the uterus? what was done after that? you know to treat it and all...and has it cleared?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
ny28
(female)

ny28 HB User

Hey Jess, Thank you for sharing part of your story with me. I'm also sorry to hear what your going through aswell..((hugs)).

so being diagnosed with CINIII....what does that mean?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
JessicainCanada
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

CINIII means cancer stage 0-----Which means cancer in place but non invasive, its the highest stage of pre cancer without having to call it cancer...offically....Some doctors will say CINIII without using the cancer in place term. I decided that the risk outweighed the positives, and BECAUSE of prior heavy bleeding, and honestly the risk asstd with later uterine issues stemming from this that I wanted a hyst rather than cone/pathology/waiting and fearing cycle and having a uterus that would be much harder to monitor than a cervix....I'm 29 and have a life to life and I want that to be a fear free as possible!.

Here are the early/mid stages of cervical cancer so you can better unserstand where I'm @. I did not include the later stages....Because lets face it none of us are there yet and who needs to read crud like that!

Also called carcinoma in situ, stage 0 means that cancerous cells that have not invaded deeper tissues. The cells are superficial and are only found on the surface.

Stage I

In stage I, cancerous cells have invaded the cervix, and cells are no longer just at the surface. Cancer is still confined to the cervix and has not spread.

Stage IA: This is the earliest form of stage I cervical cancer. The cancer can only be identified under microscopic examination.

Stage IA1: The invasion area is less than 3mm(1/8 inch) deep and less than 7mm (1/4 inch) wide.

Stage IA2: The invasion area is between 3 mm and 5 mm (about 1/5 inch) deep and less than 7 mm (about 1/4 inch) wide.

Stage IB: This stage indicated that cancer can be seen without a microscope. It also include cancers that have invaded the connective tissue of the cervix, deeper than 5mm (1/5 inch).

Stage IB1: Cancer is no more than 4 centimeters large (1 3/4 inches).

Stage IB2: Cancer is larger than 4 centimeters (1 3/4 inches)

Stage II

In stage II, the cancer has spread to nearby tissues, but is still contained within the pelvic area.

Stage IIA: Cancer has spread to the upper part of the vagina. The lower third of the vagina has not been affected.

Stage IIB: In this stage, cancer has spread to tissue near the cervix. This tissue is called parametrial tissue.

Stage III

This stage indicates that cancer has spread to the lower portion of the vagina. It could have also spread to the pelvic wall in this stage.

Stage IIIA: Cancer has spread to the lower part of the vagina and is contained in that area.

I hope you are doing well and relaxing when you can

***Jess***

Last edited by JessicainCanada; 02-08-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
zoe96
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

Hi again -- I'll jump in for Pickle, since I'm here!

An ECC can be done at the time of a colposcopy (and in my opinion, should be, since that's the only way to figure out what's going on up there!!). If you are having a cone, they can/may do the ECC & D&C at the same time, while you are under for the cone. In my case they put me under, did the D&C, then the ECC, then the cone.

I don't think you posted this answer, but if you did my apologies -- but what type of cells are they looking for in you? The reason I ask is because squamous cell problems are different than adenocarcinomas, which generally begin farther up the cervical canal and are generally harder to diagnose. Did your previous diagnostics reveal CIN III or an in situ situation? Was this diagnosed through a colposcopy? You may have already had an ECC and just didn't realize it, although that is a little more painful part if done with the colpo, and you'd probably remember it (since you are totally awake and usually not anesthetized during the colpo -- you will be fine if it's done with the cone!!).

You asked Pickle what is done/how things are treated after you receive your results. It really all depends on what type of problem you have, and how far it has extended (hopefully not at all!!). In my case I have adenocarcinoma, and unfortunately my CKC revealed that it was invasive. The recommended treatment for almost all invasive cervical cancers is hysterectomy -- BUT, there is also a procedure called a trachelectomy which removes the cervix only, which is what I plan to have in order to preserve fertility. Depending on your stage, they also recommend removal of some pelvic lymph nodes. Unfortunately again, I'm Stage Ib1, and they do recommend removing some of the nodes....but for what they consider microinvasive cancers, Stage Ia1 and Ia2, they generally do not take the nodes, since the level of invasion is smaller. Thankfully my uterus is clear, so I do not know for certain what they recommend if there is involvement there, but it's my understanding that that would move you into a classification of a Stage II or higher cervical cancer (since it has spread beyond the cervix), and I believe for Stage II and higher the treatment is radiation and/or chemo rather than surgery. BUT, let's not get ahead of ourselves here....that's something that you will hopefully never have to face, so let's focus on the positive, and a good result from your cone Although this is advice I rarely heed, there's no sense in wasting a good worry....so don't worry yourself unnecessarily (easier said than done, I KNOW!!!).

Hope some of this helps, and hope I haven't scared you!! I certainly didn't mean to...but I did want to answer your questions as best I could.

((hugs))

Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
ny28
(female)

ny28 HB User

Zoe,
hi again i believe the dr. said i had adenocarcinoma insitu and yes it was diagnosed through a colpo.
gosh! i'm like in disbelief...i'm sorry to hear that you ladies are going through this horrible process aswell...i go to bed each night thinking that the longer it takes for my surgery, the more it's progressing...do any of you know how fast this progresses because i was told since like 0ctober that i needed this cone and because of my shity provider it's taking so long to have this procedure done. i fear the worst at this moment...Zoe is right, i'm sure after cone i will feel a lot better (for the most part) this waiting period is DRIVING MY NUTS! i wish the 18th would hurry up!

anyhow thanks again for all the info...you guys seem to be well informed..i'm getting more info here than what i get at the dr. office.. i can't thank you guys enough for sharing your situations with me...XOXO

Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

I started typing and didn't see the second page of this thread until I typed all of this, so I'm just going to leave it.

Normally, if an ECC is done it is done during a colposcopy (or during a cone biopsy). Often, the uterine biopsy and/or D&C will be done with a cone biopsy.

My ECC diagnosed adenocarcinoma in situ. The CKC diagnosed adenocarcinoma Ia1. Two weeks after the CKC I was sitting in a gyn/oncologist's office discussing my treatment options. Because my cancer was caught so early I "only" had to have a total hyst (cervix and uterus). I didn't need chemo or radiation. I am currently 7 months post op and my doctor said I had a "perfectly normal looking pelvis" and all pathology reports are coming back normal. I go back to her in July. She predicts I'll be back at annual exams after that. I am VERY luck and VERY blessed that it was found so early (and that I do not desire children - I'm 44! )

I had 2 lesions. Each one was about 1mm across and 1mm deep (a dime is 1mm thick). They both were removed during CKCs (one in each CKC), so when the doc did the hyst there was "no sign of residual tumor" :happy dance:

So, I am cancer free after having my hyst! I am still anxious from time to time. I've read others call it cancer-head and I think it is a perfect name for it. I worry about lumps, bumps, pains, and general-body-weirdness. But, I try to not worry too much. Easier said than done.

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed!

Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
Schindig
(female)

Schindig HB User

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind if I follow along with this discussion. I feel there is some good knowledge that will help me along in my journey.

Closed Thread