It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Please I need advice from people who are going through this...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
klc23mom
(female)

klc23mom HB User
Red face Please I need advice from people who are going through this...

I am 27 years old married for 6 years with 2 kids and have had normal periods all my life, nothing out of the ordinary. The last two years my cycles have gotten heavier but I attributed that to having kids. I have had pain in my legs,pelvic area, and lower back for about two years and again didn't think anything of it. I just dealt with it and rested when I needed to and took pain medicine if necessary at the time. I all of a sudden out of nowhere developed a symptom of bleeding 2 weeks before I was due for my period. I didn't freak out at first because I thought maybe it was my period coming two weeks early for some reason and that would not have worried me but it was not my period. It was light blood and accompanied with blood stained mucus discharge along with my cramps in my stomach and back. Thiis initially lasted two days, not enough to come off in my underwear but there when I wiped. I went to the doctor and they did blood work, ultrasound and a pap test. The results of the blood and ultrasound were normal, I haven't gotten the results of the pap yet. I feel like it is going to be negative but I have this really bad feeling that something is going on, this is not normal. The doctor said it was an infection and gave me an antibiotic but it has been almost 2 weeks and I have started bleeding again about 4 days ago and then stopped and then again yesterday. My cycle is due to start tomorrow but this is the same bleeding from before and with the really dark mucus. I just wanted advice to see if you agreed that I should push for a biopsy just to clearly rule out the possibility of cervical cancer even if the pap comes back normal. I just feel like I will not be at ease until it is done but I do want some outside advice. Thanks ladies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
Re: Please I need advice from people who are going through this...

That totally sucks. Not knowing what's going on is aweful!!

Honestly, I have no idea what's going on with you either. The only thing I can suggest it that if the pap comes back negative, along with a biopsy, you might want to ask for an ECC to sample the cells inside you cervical canal.

Please let us know your results!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

How long ago did your doctor do the pap? If it has been over 4 or 5 days, call for those results. Don't wait for them to call you. I agere with Lily, if they order a colposcopy, ask them to do an ECC at the same time.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
klc23mom
(female)

klc23mom HB User

well I went in to the doctor today and he said that I had a clean pap which he says completely rules out cervical cancer. I have to take his word for it. He is going to check for uterine cancer although he said it will probably be fine because of my age. He said there is definately something going on and he will keep up with everything until we figure out what this is. Thanks for the responses and I will update you once I get my results.

Kristen

Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad your doctor is going to keep looking until he can find out what is going on. What did your doctor say the next step was?

This comment concerns me a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc23mom View Post
he said that I had a clean pap which he says completely rules out cervical cancer.
A clear pap doesn't guarantee there is no cancer. A woman can have cervical cancer (of the glandular cells) and have clear paps - I am living (thank God) proof*.

Please discuss, with your doctor, having a colposcopy and ECC (endocervical curettage). The ECC is the only nonsurgical say to sample the cells that are in the upper 2/3 of the cervix and are made of glandular cells. The pap only samples the cells on the exocervix (squamous cells) and in the TZ (transition zone). Even a colposcopy looks only at the exocervix (squamous cells) and the TZ. Rarely can the colpo sample where the glandular cells are.

I don't want to scare you with this, but I just want you to be armed with some questions to ask your doctor so that certain bases are covered.

* I was 44 when my cancer was diagnosed. I had had my paps every year since I was 19 and I'd never had a bad pap. My regular doctor ran the HPV/dna test when she did my pap. The pap was normal, the HPV/dna test was positive for high risk HPV. I went to a gyn and she did a colpo, but she didn't need to take any sample because the exocervix looked so good. "Just to check" she did an ECC (to scrape the cervical canal). It came back adenocarcinoma in situ. Two weeks later I had a cold knife cone which diagnosed my cancer (adenocarcinoma stage Ia1). They found my cancer so early that I had no symptoms, I don't need any chemo or radiation. I had 2 lesions, each 1.2mm across (or less) and 1mm deep (a dime is 1mm thick). I was VERY luck that my cancer was found and that my doctors didn't put complete faith in the paps. Paps detect many cervical cancers, but not all.

Anyway, since you just had an appointment today, you might want to call the doctor's office back and ask about a colpo with an ECC.

I hope I didn't drop a big ol' stink bomb into your day! : biting nails:

Old 02-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
JessicainCanada
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

Any abnormal bleeding from the vagina that is NOT your monthly cycle should be investigated by an obgyn rather than a family doctor. I had post coital bleeding that was strangely from a BV infection, but was the catalyst in determining an end result of CINIII ....Also with clear paps like Pickle mentioned......

I hope everything works out for you in the end. Listen to your body not your doctor....If you feel something is not quite right, I'd go with that...

Jess~

Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
klc23mom
(female)

klc23mom HB User

See, that's what I told him, I told him I didn't want to be one of the horror stories you hear about that everything comes back normal and then 5 years later.. boom... stage 4 ... over... I asked for an ecc and he said that is what the pap is.... my husband was in the room and I tried to push for something with it but he would consider any more tests for cervical cancer. I don't know how to change his mind. I'm scared because I have every early symptom and one of the late ones.... I know that doesn't mean I have it but still.... I don't really know what to do at this point and now I'm really scared with your comment... I was hoping I would get a ... yeah your okay since the pap was clear... shoot, what do I do now? Thanks for the comment though. I just wish there was a way of doing all this without involving my family I don't want to worry them over what could be nothing... but I am definately scared and confused and our insurance will be stoping soon.... so I don't know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
I'm glad your doctor is going to keep looking until he can find out what is going on. What did your doctor say the next step was?

This comment concerns me a little bit.

A clear pap doesn't guarantee there is no cancer. A woman can have cervical cancer (of the glandular cells) and have clear paps - I am living (thank God) proof*.

Please discuss, with your doctor, having a colposcopy and ECC (endocervical curettage). The ECC is the only nonsurgical say to sample the cells that are in the upper 2/3 of the cervix and are made of glandular cells. The pap only samples the cells on the exocervix (squamous cells) and in the TZ (transition zone). Even a colposcopy looks only at the exocervix (squamous cells) and the TZ. Rarely can the colpo sample where the glandular cells are.

I don't want to scare you with this, but I just want you to be armed with some questions to ask your doctor so that certain bases are covered.

* I was 44 when my cancer was diagnosed. I had had my paps every year since I was 19 and I'd never had a bad pap. My regular doctor ran the HPV/dna test when she did my pap. The pap was normal, the HPV/dna test was positive for high risk HPV. I went to a gyn and she did a colpo, but she didn't need to take any sample because the exocervix looked so good. "Just to check" she did an ECC (to scrape the cervical canal). It came back adenocarcinoma in situ. Two weeks later I had a cold knife cone which diagnosed my cancer (adenocarcinoma stage Ia1). They found my cancer so early that I had no symptoms, I don't need any chemo or radiation. I had 2 lesions, each 1.2mm across (or less) and 1mm deep (a dime is 1mm thick). I was VERY luck that my cancer was found and that my doctors didn't put complete faith in the paps. Paps detect many cervical cancers, but not all.

Anyway, since you just had an appointment today, you might want to call the doctor's office back and ask about a colpo with an ECC.

I hope I didn't drop a big ol' stink bomb into your day! : biting nails:

Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

I think it's time for SECOND OPINION.

Paps detect the vast majority of cervical cancer and pre-cancer. So a normal pap is an excellent sign.

A pap is not an ECC. Get a new gyno. This probably isn't cancer, but it's ridiculous for him to refuse to test you when you are having these symptoms.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

I totally agree, with Lily. I'd get another opinion.

The pap scrapes the exocervix (outer cervix) which is made up of squamous cells. Something like 80-90% of cervical cancer is of the squamous cells. It is easy to detect (location, location, location) and it is frequently the problem with dysplasia results on paps and colpos. The ECC scrapes the endocervical canal (think of the hole in a frosted bagel (do they make those?) - I use to say donut, but the bagel's hole is smaller). The pap scrapes the frosting. The ECC scrapes the hole, where the frosting didn't go.

The cervical canal is made up of glandular/columnar cells. They cannot be scraped during a pap.

The squamous cells make up 1/3 of the cervix. Glandular cells make up the upper 2/3 of the cervix. Between the two is an area called the Transition Zone (TZ). Paps can sometimes sample the TZ. Colpos can usually show the TZ, but not much above that.

I highly suggest you seek a second opinion.

I am sorry that what I have said has upset you. It is HIGHLY likely that you won't have the same thing happen that I did. I just can't keep silent about the need to push to have the doctor seek until something is resolved.

Take care and write back! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
fifistoosh
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

Have just had word to go for a colpopscopy with gyn oncologists after a check up. Your comments have been really helpful, and amusing too Pickle eyes (when I am lying with my legs in the air guess i will be thinking of frosted bagels now - LOL!).

I went to docs after post coital bleeding, my cervix was really inflammed. The swabs they took were clear and my last pap was clear too.
Thanks for those comments you posted.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
dpedro
(female)

dpedro HB User

thank you so much for your bagel analogy. that was a much clearer description than all of the diagrams i have studied. i have had CIN 1 for 15 years with a couple of colpos under my belt (pun not intended). however, after yet another abnormal pap just recently, the doc decided to do the colpos with 4 biopsies (at 3, 6, 9 &12) and the ECC. this time it all came back CIN 2, even in the upper cervix. i will have a LEEP later this month and i am hoping they won't have to remove too much since i hope to have another child someday. i asked the nurse if the tissue removed can be sent to a lab and further tested, and she said yes. yet, everything i have read online says that the LEEP destroys the tissue by burning it and is not used for diagnosis. has anyone had a similar experience?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
zoe96
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

Hi there --

Just stopping by to add my two cents! First, what you read about the LEEP destroying tissue is true and not true...the tissue can still be analyzed, but it is the edges that are "destroyed," as the hot wire used for the procedure cauterizes (burns) the edges. So, if your margins are close, they can't always tell how much margin, if any, there is as a result of the damage to the tissue because of the process used to remove it. But, aside from the edges, the rest of the tissue is fine and can be examined.

Pickle is a big advocate of the ECC, and I have to definitely jump on that band wagon as well!! Although a lot of the info you can easily find regarding cervical cancer still puts adenocarcinoma at around 10-20% of all cervical cancers, that number is rising very quickly, and most recent medical literature (as well as my doc at Yale, and the ones I've consulted at Sloan and UConn) put that number higher, closer to 30% and rising. As screening has gotten better for squamous cell cancers, the number of cases attributed to adenocarcinoma is rising (not that there are actually more cases, but since more squamous cell cancers are caught before they can actually develop, the adenos are therefore accounting for a greater portion of total cervical cancer cases). However, it seems that most gynos are not as up on their cervical cancer stats as they should be (hello, they deliver babies primarily, and in my experience don't know a whole lot about cervical cancer other than to look for the obvious -- and remember, adenocarcinoma cannot usually be seen until it is well on its way to doing damage). I think since many gynos consider adeno a rarity, they aren't as vigilant as they should be in trying to find it in those of us with HPV.

Anyway, I hope someone finds some of this info useful!!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
Drafly
Inactive
(female)

Drafly HB User

This may be uterine related and not cervical at all. If the ultrasound was neg. then apparently you do not have fibroids which can cause abnormal bleeding. Has your doc suggested an endometrial biopsy? When I was having abnormal bleeding (post menopausal when I shouldn't have had any) an endometrial biopsy needed to be done to rule out endometrial cancer. I'm alarmed as are others who have responded to you that your doc refuses any further tests. Apparently he has his own opinions and despite the patient's fears and concerns is not willing to budge. That wouldn't be a doc in whom I would be placing MY confidence. An ECC is not a big deal to perform, no more difficult than a PAP, so if you cant get your doc to even do that, I'd be finding someone new.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
klc23mom
(female)

klc23mom HB User

Well I am actually going in on friday for a endometrial biopsy... he did not tell me the first day I went to see him but he told me the other day that I had one fibroid that was small in size and he said that is why he didn't mention it, this information concerns me.... why wouldn't he have told me this? He said that my uterus was inflamed when he did my exam and that it bled as soon as he touched it and that's why he originally thought it was an infection.... I'm just taking this one day at a time and trying to deal with all this the best I can and I thank all of you for your comments and support it is truly truly appreciated.....

Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly23 View Post
This may be uterine related and not cervical at all. If the ultrasound was neg. then apparently you do not have fibroids which can cause abnormal bleeding. Has your doc suggested an endometrial biopsy? When I was having abnormal bleeding (post menopausal when I shouldn't have had any) an endometrial biopsy needed to be done to rule out endometrial cancer. I'm alarmed as are others who have responded to you that your doc refuses any further tests. Apparently he has his own opinions and despite the patient's fears and concerns is not willing to budge. That wouldn't be a doc in whom I would be placing MY confidence. An ECC is not a big deal to perform, no more difficult than a PAP, so if you cant get your doc to even do that, I'd be finding someone new.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #15
klc23mom
(female)

klc23mom HB User

My endometrial byopsy was negative. I am still having the irregular bleeding and cramps but I don't have insurance.

Just wanted to give an update.

Closed Thread