It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

enlarged uterus - very worried

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
NolCol
(female)

NolCol HB User
enlarged uterus - very worried

If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. My history is this: I am 40 years old, just went in for my pap with a new gyn. She said I have an enlarged uterus. I had some heavy bleeding two years ago. They did and US, and said I have fibroids and ovarian cysts. About eight years ago I also had and US with the same results. So I wasn't worried. Neither was the doc at that time. After my last US I got the Mirena IUD because my periods were always real heavy. That seemed to help, although I still have periods and occasional spotting. When I went in last week for my pap, she said with the IUD you can have spotting anytime. She didn't seem concered about my uterus, but wanted to get a copy of the last US report. She said we would go from there. Of course, I asked about cancer, and she said that could be a possibility, but I would have a lot of bleeding that would break through the IUD. Also, two weeks ago, I had lap band surgery for weight loss. That also threw my cycle out of whack. I'm wondering since I still have some abdominal swelling from that surgery if it could have anything to do with what my gyn felt during her exam. I don't have any other problems. I'm just very nervous. Can anyone help?

Last edited by NolCol; 02-22-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Pickle Eyes
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: enlarged uterus - very worried

I'm glad your new doctor seems on top of things. I'm a little lost on the time-line. Did you have the lapband first and then the more recent pap? If so, then it is possible your body is just going through some changes because of the surgery.

I wish I could be of more help.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
JessicainCanada
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

I dont know how much this helps but an enlarged uterus can be directly related to the presence of fibroid thickening the lining of the uterus.
I also agree with Pickle regarding any recent surgeries and swelling in the abdomen. If you do not menstruate regularly in conjunction with the fibrosis's (endimitrosis) the lining of your uterus can become very thick because the fibroid inhibit the regular shedding of the lining that normally is able to right itself via a normal cycle.

That's why when you have endometriosis/fibrosis you very often have heavy bleeding, because the lining never fully sheds.

Hope that helps

Jess

Old 02-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
NolCol
(female)

NolCol HB User

Thank you for your responses. Pickle, I had my lapband surgery two weeks before my pap. I had my period the week before my surgery, then again about four days after surgery. The surgeon said because of the anesthesia and blood thinner they gave me for the surgery, that it can mess up your cycle pretty good. That's why I was wondering about the recent surgery and any swelling. I have never had anyone tell me I had an enlarged uterus, so I was pretty surprised. The first thing my mind jumps to is cancer. I hate it that I do that! I keep thinking about all of this, and I know when I had my IUD put in by another doctor, she did an internal exam and never mentioned it. I'm also wondering if the hormones in the IUD could cause the enlargement. I've never had one before, so I don't know. Any thoughts on this? Also, could the fibroids have just started growing faster than they have in the past? I will try to remain calm. Thanks.

Closed Thread