It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

where can i buy a vitamin beta-mannan?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
johow588
(female)

johow588 HB User

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
esker
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: where can i buy a vitamin beta-mannan?

Beta-mannan is not a vitamin. It's a dietary food supplement. You can't buy it in stores. You have to order it from the Alotek Supplement Company or one of their distributors.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
JessicainCanada
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

What type of vitamin is that anyhow?

Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

It's from this doctor and he claims it cures HPV.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
luvbug412
Veteran
(female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

A dietary supplement offered by a specific website. I notice that the HPV claims that have been made about it being a cure have been removed from the website, probably following the FDA warning letter that is posted over on CaseWatch.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbug412 View Post
A dietary supplement offered by a specific website. I notice that the HPV claims that have been made about it being a cure have been removed from the website, probably following the FDA warning letter that is posted over on CaseWatch.
Right. It's probably crap, but let me tell you, first I'm trying this mushroom thing. If that doesn't work, im taking Beta Mannan.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
JessicainCanada
(female)

JessicainCanada HB User

I will stick to my green tea and supplements along with a healthy diet!.

Thanks for the quick reply ladies!...

Jess

Old 03-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicainCanada View Post
I will stick to my green tea and supplements along with a healthy diet!.
Oh, yeah, I'm doing that, too.

I has asparagus for dinner with a side of broccoli and a cup of green tea. lol . . . what's funny is I really did!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
luvbug412
Veteran
(female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

I keep reading about trials based on using extracts of mushrooms. I'd like to know how that works out since mushrooms have been used for medicinal purposes for centuries.

I know I've read that miatake is being focused on but I know there were others and I can't find the references.

I think science is finding out that nature has provided us with some good immune system boosting foods!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
LilyL21
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbug412 View Post
I know I've read that miatake is being focused on but I know there were others and I can't find the references.
I'm taking coriolus versicolor . . . they did this study that was small on women with CIN 1 lesions and HR-HPV. The amazing part I thought was that only 1/12 in the "control group" tested HPV negative in one year while 9/10 in the mushroom group tested negative in a year.

From everything I've read about AIS, it seems like HPV clearance is majorly good sign in preventing it from coming back, so I'm taking it!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-08-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
Elizabeth1975
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

Thanks for the info Lily! I will try to find this supplement. Approximately how much does it cost?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
Elizabeth1975
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

I just did a little digging to see what this supplement can do for high grade changes. There's one study that looked at its effects after a year on women who had conizations done for their HSIL. The group that took Coriolus Versicolor and the control group showed similar rates of virus clearance, emphasizing how good these cone procedures are at eliminating the virus. However, the study does say that people that are still HPV positive after surgery could benefit from the supplement. I will be trying it myself! Anything to tip the scale...

Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
Elizabeth1975
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

I just wonder if the surgery clears the virus out of people who had AIS as well as it does for everyone else? I've never seen any statistics on that.

I'll check to see what my health food store carries for this stuff. It is SO expensive!!!

If you want to stretch your bottles just a tad, I think you only need to take 5 pills a day. The studies showed that 3g were used, so 600mg x 5 = 3000mg. Maybe the bottle will last a couple of days longer!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
zoe96
Veteran
(female)

zoe96 HB User

Eliz -- the gyn/onc at Yale told me that the surgery (cone) usually helps the body build up an immunity to the HPV, and we were specifically talking adenocarcinoma, to which AIS is a precursor....so from what I've been told, that's a yes!

What I'm wondering is if the surgery helps you build an immunity to the HPV, does that mean your entire body is now immune to it, so you are no longer vulnerable to developing HPV related problems elsewhere??

Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
Elizabeth1975
(female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

Hmmm, I would think you would then be immune across your entire body, because wouldn't the antibodies be in your bloodstream? Of course, I think it also depends on if your body recognizes there's a problem in that specific spot. One of my gyn/oncs explained that one of the reasons our bodies don't fight off hpv right off the bat is that the virus is good at hiding and our immune system doesn't even notice that something is wrong; I think that has a lot to do with the fact that there isn't a lot of blood flow through the cervix. Anyway, once surgery alerts your body that there is a problem, it then creates the antibodies to hpv. However, I wonder if -- and let's say you have oral hpv -- even if you have the antibodies to that particular strain, does your body even notice that it's there??? Not sure how that would work.

Closed Thread