It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• HGSIL 7 months after a 100% normal pap

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
    nadia73
    (female)

nadia73 HB User
    HGSIL 7 months after a 100% normal pap

I just wanted to get some additional experiences/advice. I'm 27 and have had regular pap smears since I was 15. I have never had an abnormal pap, not even a LGSIL. I decided to switch to a new OB (from a NP) this past year. In doing so, I had to get a pap to get established. The most recent pap I had prior to this was June 08 - which was normal; just like the past 11. I went in this January for my first appointment and pap smear and have been told I have HGSIL. I go in for a colposcopy and biopsy next Friday.

I'm mostly baffled at how I could go from normal to HGSIL in 6 months. Anyone else ever have this happen? It just seems really odd to me. I guess depending on the results, it's a blessing I went in 6 months before I usually would have.

I asked if they tested for HPV (which I had been tested for before, and that was negative) and she told me they didn't even test for it due to the results being HGSIL. She had told me to use condoms - which I was confused on. I've been w/ my husband for 7 years (no, not married that long ) so I wasn't sure if either she did not know I was in a monogamous relationship, or whether I should use them anyway? I should have clarified, but was a bit preoccupied w/ the HGSIL information.

I'm a healthy weight, get regular physical activity, eat well, no longer am a smoker, etc. I've been flaky w/ taking my multivitamin and fish oil supplements regularly.. but have been better since this.

A friend of mine who is a MD said that it is not common to go from normal to HGSIL in such a short amount of time. She said it would be more likely the abnormal test was read incorrectly... less likely that June's test was read incorrectly.. or possible that is it a really aggressive strain of HPV. Still leaves me wondering, W*T*F?

I'm fairly prepared for whatever comes, tx, etc.. The thing that will be the most bothersome is that I do want to have children (currently childless).

Any suggestions, advice, etc?

Last edited by nadia73; 03-12-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
    luvbug412
    Veteran
    (female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User
    Re: HGSIL 7 months after a 100% normal pap

Continue to ask away nadia - but those are questions unfortunately none of us ever find the answers for. I know I was 10+ yrs clear then ASCUS showed up in Jan. From there it was to a diagnosis of CIS, then to AIS.

I am having a hard time believing that it developed "that fast" in my own personal case, but then the only explanation becomes that "how long was it missed".

Good luck with your colpo!

Get copies of ALL your pathology reports. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

Hi there --

Luvbug already gave you a good answer, and if you hang around here long enough you'll see that most of us have similar stories. I don't want to scare you with any of our particulars, but unfortunately it does happen that you can have many many years of clean paps, and suddenly have something show up. It's also entirely possible (and even probable) that something was misread, was a false positive, or that any changes seen need to be addressed but are still a long way from cancer. Having the colpo is no big deal, although I would also ask for an ECC at the same time, since that's the only way to find out what's going on further up the canal and make sure nothing is missed. It pinches a little for just a second or two, but is well worth it.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
    nadia73
    (female)

nadia73 HB User

Thanks!! They're already planning on doing a biopsy, so I'll definitely ask about an ECC

Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi Nadia, I'm sorry you had to find us, but I'm glad you did.

I'm one of the ladies who said "where'd THAT come from" (and so did my doctors!). Anyway, yes. Ask for the ECC (endocervical curettage).

When it comes to condom use, you are in a monogamous relationship so whatever you have, your husband has and vice versa.

There was something else I was going to say, but it has totally lift my mind. Sorry! Maybe I'll remember it later.

Take care and write back.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
    nadia73
    (female)

nadia73 HB User

Well, I have my results. I'm lucky to have a Dr. who always does an ECC, no asking needed.

She took a biopsy of 3 places along with the ECC. My ECC was normal (thank god).. one biopsy area was benign (i guess inflamed) and the other two were CIS II and CIS III.

I'm scheduled for a LEEP in May. She talked about the potential risks w/ pregnancy.. which worries me. However, i'd rather be sure that everything is removed - and that what is removed can be sent to a lab for further testing.. which I guess is not possible with a cryo. So that's the result so far. She said it was a small area that is concerning.. so I'm hoping that the LEEP removes a minimal amount and takes care of the problem so any future risk to pregnancies is low.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm glad you checked back with us. I'm glad your doctor did the ECC and that it came back clear. WHEW!

It is good that your doctor is keeping on top of the CIS. For many women the LEEP is diagnostic and treatment (which will only require follow up visits to verify that nothing comes back). That is my hope for you!

Good luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm glad you checked back with us. I'm glad your doctor did the ECC and that it came back clear. WHEW!

It is good that your doctor is keeping on top of the CIS. For many women the LEEP is diagnostic and treatment (which will only require follow up visits to verify that nothing comes back). That is my hope for you!

Good luck!

Closed Thread