It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• HELP! Diagnosed with CIN III & need a LEEP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User
    HELP! Diagnosed with CIN III & need a LEEP!

Yesterday I was diagnosed with CIN III / Severe Dysplasia and I really need some comforting words right now. I am scheduled for a LEEP on March 30 and I am terrified of the procedure. The biopsy wasn't terribly pleasant, that's for sure, and the LEEP sounds so much worse based on the description posted on my doctor's website.

How painful is a LEEP? Any tips on how to make it easier to get through?

Has anyone else here been diagnosed with CIN III? If so, how have things gone for you?

I'm so scared I'm going to develop cervical cancer. My understanding is that CIN III is just one level away from actual cancer, which truly terrifies me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
    Elizabeth1975
    (female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User
    Re: HELP! Diagnosed with CIN III & need a LEEP!

I can assure you that it isn't a horrible experience at all. The shaking is a little strange, but other than that, not bad at all. I didn't feel a thing myself.

Even with CINIII, the LEEP is effective in clearing the dysplasia and typically the virus itself most of the time. I'll ask first -- did you doctor do an ECC to check the cervical canal during the colpo?

The only thing I can think of to make it better is maybe take a few painkillers beforehand. I did that for both my colpos and my LEEP. Can someone else jump in on this one???

Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
    luvbug412
    Veteran
    (female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oldfashiongirl View Post
    Yesterday I was diagnosed with CIN III / Severe Dysplasia and I really need some comforting words right now. I am scheduled for a LEEP on March 30 and I am terrified of the procedure. The biopsy wasn't terribly pleasant, that's for sure, and the LEEP sounds so much worse based on the description posted on my doctor's website.

How painful is a LEEP? Any tips on how to make it easier to get through?

Has anyone else here been diagnosed with CIN III? If so, how have things gone for you?

I'm so scared I'm going to develop cervical cancer. My understanding is that CIN III is just one level away from actual cancer, which truly terrifies me.
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis! .. While technically speaking CIN III is "one step away from actual cancer" very few cases of CIN develop into invasive cancer, seeing that in most cases they are caught early enough and treated. SO be glad for the pap and the colpo - it CAUGHT it before it got any worse

On how painful the LEEP is - alot of us think that the colpo was worse than the LEEP. While we all get nerve wracked waiting for the procedure to be done and over with, its (and I hate to put it this way) a quickie? I was out and back in about an hr (including 10 min both ways to and from the hospital). Mild discomfort, no pain thanks to the local. Some minor cramping for a few days (bless advil!), and three weeks later the Dr. is telling me that he wouldn't be able to tell I HAD a LEEP if he didn't do it himself. (Healed up right as rain!)

Do yourself a favor and request copies of ALL of the pathology reports. It will save you some grief (trust me!)

Elizabeth is right on multiple accounts...LEEP is very effective at clearing dysplasia. It just requires followup to make sure everything is taken care of and no further dysplasia is present.

Also - you want to check up on the ECC (like Elizabeth said), this is how they can test the health of the cells within the cervical canal. Very important!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi Oldfashionedgirl, I know the diagnosis is scary. These ladies have given you some really good advice. I don't have anything to add, but wanted to poke my head in and say Hi and good luck on your LEEP!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

I totally agree with everything said here. I was freaked out about having a LEEP, but I was completely surprised to see how not a big deal it was. It was nothing. I wasn't in pain. It was quick and easy.

And yes CIN 3 is one step from cancer, but it's one enormous step. It takes usually about 10 years to become cancer. Or as my gyn/onc put it, left untreated for a year, there is about a 3% chance that CIN 3 will be come cancer.

The LEEP is all that is needed for the vast majority of women. Some women require a second LEEP, but it is extremely rare for this to become a recurring problem.

So most likely, you'll get the LEEP and then be fine for FOREVER!

Good luck!

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

Thanks guys, I am comforted by your stories. I truly hope and pray that mine goes as smoothly.

At my first biopsy last May, the biopsy taker thing got stuck on my cervix! I was screaming from pain. The doctor kept repeating "I can't get it loose" and something about there being a lot of blood. So, when I had to go in for another biopsy last week (with a different doctor!) it almost took a horse tranquilizer to get me back up on the bench. But I did it and it went a lot better. I was proud of myself.

So back in May, the biopsy came back as CIN I. And here it is, less than a year later, and now it's CIN III. I truly believe that I probably had at least CIN II during my first biopsy but my inept doctor didn't get the correct sample. I am really angry about this - if she only would have done things right, I could be past this point by now. But, water under the bridge. And yes, at least it has been caught.

I did get an ECC on Thursday along with the Colpo and my doctor said that there were some "detached fragmented CIN III particles" that came back but that she wasn't too concerned since it could just been that some particles from my biopsies floated up there and showed up on that test. It does worry me though. Have any of you guys ever heard of this?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

OUCH! I can't fathom that happening! I'm impressed you ever went back to another doctor. I'm glad you let your health take priority over your fear and the doctor's inept-ness! YIKES!

I'm so glad you appear to like this doctor better! I'm also glad to hear she did an ECC. I am not familiar with the "detatched fragments", though. Maybe someone else will know!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

I had the "detached fragments" thing on my ECC taken during my cone biopsy. It was just contamination from having taken the sample and pulled it out through my infected cervix. During my surgery I had a D&C to check the uterus, an ECC, and then cone. My doc did them in that order -- so the endometrial sample from the D&C was pulled through the infected cervix, and there was one minute strand in that sample; then the ECC passed through again, and picked up a few fragments; and then finally he removed the darned infected portion of the cervix, and well, that showed where the problem came from.

Hope this helps!!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

Zoe,
    Thanks, that does ease my mind a little - that makes a little bit of sense how that could happen. Can I ask - why did you need a D&C?
    OFG

Old 03-19-2009, 02:35 AM   #10
    jill60
    (female)

jill60 HB User

When I had my laser surgery my insurance would't pay for me to go to the hospital & have it done. My Dr. had to rent the machine & I had to go to his office & have it done. No local, nothing! After I had the 1st one within 3 or 6 months I had to have it done again. The Dr. ask me doesn't this hurt. I said what am I suppose to do.

Jill

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvbug412 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis! .. While technically speaking CIN III is "one step away from actual cancer" very few cases of CIN develop into invasive cancer, seeing that in most cases they are caught early enough and treated. SO be glad for the pap and the colpo - it CAUGHT it before it got any worse

On how painful the LEEP is - alot of us think that the colpo was worse than the LEEP. While we all get nerve wracked waiting for the procedure to be done and over with, its (and I hate to put it this way) a quickie? I was out and back in about an hr (including 10 min both ways to and from the hospital). Mild discomfort, no pain thanks to the local. Some minor cramping for a few days (bless advil!), and three weeks later the Dr. is telling me that he wouldn't be able to tell I HAD a LEEP if he didn't do it himself. (Healed up right as rain!)

Do yourself a favor and request copies of ALL of the pathology reports. It will save you some grief (trust me!)

Elizabeth is right on multiple accounts...LEEP is very effective at clearing dysplasia. It just requires followup to make sure everything is taken care of and no further dysplasia is present.

Also - you want to check up on the ECC (like Elizabeth said), this is how they can test the health of the cells within the cervical canal. Very important!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oldfashiongirl View Post
    I did get an ECC on Thursday along with the Colpo and my doctor said that there were some "detached fragmented CIN III particles" that came back but that she wasn't too concerned since it could just been that some particles from my biopsies floated up there and showed up on that test. It does worry me though. Have any of you guys ever heard of this?
    Actually, I have heard of this. I spoke to my gyno about it. There is actually a huge false positive rate for ECCs if there is dysplasia on the outside of the cervix. If you have CIN on the outside of the cervix, some gets on the little scraper thing as they insert it. So the ECC contains abnormal cells, but it's not an indication that there is any dysplasia in the canal.

When they do the pathology after the LEEP, they will definitely be able to tell if anything is going on in the canal. So no worries.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Not Zoe, but I had a D&C when I had my cold knife cone. It was taken (along with an endometrial biopsy and another ECC) to determine if the adenocarcinoma (in situ, at the time) would be found further up in the uterus. Mine was clear though.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

Like Pickle, my D&C was just a precautionary check as well, to make sure nothing was going on in the uterus. Luckily, I was all clear (although I had that one strand of contamination, but that wasn't a real finding).

What really bothers me though is I had a uterine biopsy in May, and that supposedly came back perfectly normal -- which I can't understand why there was no contamination then, since six months later I was diagnosed with minimally invasive cancer, so the chances that there was nothing going on in May are pretty small. I am waiting to get my actual path report from that May biopsy, since my info only comes from what my crummy old gyn told me.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LilyL21 View Post
    Actually, I have heard of this. I spoke to my gyno about it. There is actually a huge false positive rate for ECCs if there is dysplasia on the outside of the cervix. If you have CIN on the outside of the cervix, some gets on the little scraper thing as they insert it. So the ECC contains abnormal cells, but it's not an indication that there is any dysplasia in the canal.

When they do the pathology after the LEEP, they will definitely be able to tell if anything is going on in the canal. So no worries.
    Thank you Lily. That does make me feel better. And makes sense too. I am just so shocked to have gone from CIN I to CIN III in a matter of months. I really don't want the results from the LEEP to be holding any additional surprises.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoe96 View Post
    Like Pickle, my D&C was just a precautionary check as well, to make sure nothing was going on in the uterus. Luckily, I was all clear (although I had that one strand of contamination, but that wasn't a real finding).

What really bothers me though is I had a uterine biopsy in May, and that supposedly came back perfectly normal -- which I can't understand why there was no contamination then, since six months later I was diagnosed with minimally invasive cancer, so the chances that there was nothing going on in May are pretty small. I am waiting to get my actual path report from that May biopsy, since my info only comes from what my crummy old gyn told me.
    Wow - minimally invasive cancer. I'm so sorry. Can I ask - what were the circumstances that lead up to that diagnosis? Did you happen to miss a few years of paps (like I regretfully did) or did it just come shooting out of nowhere? I am just so worried that my outcome will be similar since I have apparently progressed from CIN I to CIN III in less than a year, unless the CIN III was sitting there all along and was missed, which makes me nervous as well that it has been in there all along, simmering.

Does anyone know what the chances are of treated CIN III turning into cancer or invasive cancer anyway?

My gyno said that in over 20 years of practice, she personally has only seen one case of invasive cervical cancer, which made me feel a little better. I can't become her second case, I just can't!

Closed Thread