It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Is Leep really necessary??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
    jesstomjorgra
    (female)

jesstomjorgra HB User
    Question Is Leep really necessary??

Well I have had abnormal paps and colposcopies for the last 3 years. My doctor wanted me to have a LEEP 2 years ago. Well I ended up pregnant with my daughter so I did not have the Leep done. I had my daughter in August and at the 6 week post check my pap came back abnormal with high grade cells so I am having a colposcopy done next week (yes I have been putting it off) and I,m pretty sure my doc is going to say to have the LEEP done. I DO NOT want to have the LEEP done at all. I want to have one more baby before I have the LEEP. So my questions are have any of you waited until after completing your family to have the procedure done or have any of you had trouble conceiving after LEEP or had miscarriages after LEEP?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Is Leep really necessary??

To answer this thread's title, I'd say the colposcopy is necessary only if you want to know why you have been having a bad pap for 3 years and why your doctor recommended the LEEP 2 years ago, and want to know if the situation has gotten better or (God forbid) worse.

I would think that if you had bad paps for 3 years and they didn't improve, then there is a very good, medically necessary reason to investigate further.

I think of the colposcopy as a fancy pap. You get in the stirrups, the doctor puts in the speculum, swabs your cervix with a weak acidic solution, then looks at your cervix with the colposcope. If something show as abnormal, then the doctor will take a pinch/punch biopsy. If nothing shows up, then the doctor most likely may not take a biopsy. Mine didn't. At the same time, the doctor may want to do an ECC to swab the cervical canal. It is like a pap, but of the cervix. It is the only nonsurgical way to sample the tissue in the cervical canal.

To address your concern regarding the LEEP, there are women who go on to have babies after a LEEP. If the doctor feels there is a reason that your cervix won't hold the baby, then the doctor can do a procedure to close the cervix.

Personally, I can't believe I was diagnosed with cervical cancer last year. I had NO symptoms and very few "risk factors". I am eternally grateful for my doctor sending me for the colpo and the gyno doing the ECC during my colposcopy. For those reasons, my cancer was detected early, treatment (especially compared to others with CC) was pretty simple, and I am cancer free.

Did you say you've scheduled your colpo? When is it?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

In your case, jesstomjorgra, yes, it really does sound necessary for you to have the LEEP. You've had abnormal Paps for years which means your dysplasia isn't regressing. In fact, it's progressing. You have high grade cells now which means the next step is early stage cancer. You don't want that.

The risk of pregnancy complications after LEEP is very slim. There is only a slightly increased risk of preterm delivery. The risk of putting off the LEEP is invasive cancer that threatens your life. LEEP is such a very quick, safe and easy procedure that I think you ought to have it done, heal for a couple months, and then have your last baby (which you will likely do without any complications).

Last edited by Timber; 05-09-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Just to add my 2 cents . . . LEEP increases your risk of preterm birth from 4% to 6%. So it's really not that big of a difference.

I agree with Timber, if this has been going on for 3 years, you definitely need something to help you fight off the HPV!

Are you anywhere near Baltimore? I'd say your only other option is this clinical trial they have going to test a theraputic vaccine.

Closed Thread