It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Pregnancy after LEEP AND Cone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
    Exemptgirl
    (female)

Exemptgirl HB User
    Pregnancy after LEEP AND Cone?

First of all, I'm a newbie but this forum has been super helpful to me.

I had a LEEP in March as my ob/gyn could not rule out adenocarcinoma in situ (also I had moderate dysplasia). It turns out I did have AIS on the bottom of my cervix and also in the canal.

After the LEEP, she originally said that all was clear until she showed my pathology report to the oncologist who recommended a cone 6 weeks after my LEEP. I just had the cone last Friday and all they found was CIN I so I'm in the clear for now!

I'm wondering if anyone has had BOTH a LEEP AND a cone biopsy and had any issues getting pregnant and how long they waited after their procedure to get pregnant. I'm 26 and getting married in a few months and want a baby fairly quickly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
    Elizabeth1975
    (female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User
    Re: Pregnancy after LEEP AND Cone?

Exemptgirl,

I'm not at the point yet of trying to get pregnant after AIS, but the general consensus I've gotten from doctors is that you should wait until you've had 12-18 months of clear followups after AIS before conceiving. I'm sure this is to try to insure that a recurrence might not happen during pregnancy.

I'm curious -- did you ask your doctors about if they will test for AIS during pregnancy? What did they say?

Old 05-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Hey Exemptgirl,

We sound very similar. I am 26, and I too had a LEEP and a cone for adenocarcinoma in situ. I know at least for me, my gyno wrote notes that my cervix looked good. She said I should be monitored closely which you should be, too.

If it looks like your cervix isn't going to hold up, they stitch it shut through a procedure called cerclage. It's simple and effective!

My gyn/onc said to wait at least 6 months before getting pregnant, and then I would be good to go! (Not that I plan on getting pregnant anytime soon!)

Old 05-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
    Elizabeth1975
    (female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

One thing I forgot to add is that they can do ultrasounds during your pregnancy to make sure that your cervix is holding up.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
    Exemptgirl
    (female)

Exemptgirl HB User

Thanks Lily and Elizabeth! I had not thought of asking my ob/gyn to test during pregnancy (probably because I just convinced it won't come back) but since I will be seeing her every 3 months for a while, so I have plenty of opportunities to ask.

I have heard of the cerclage and since only 6mm was taken from the bottom of my cervix, the cone is what concerns me. My ob/gyn said that my cervix looked great after the LEEP but as I just had the cone last week, I have not yet been back to my oncologist. So it sounds like I need to wait and see how it healed.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

Hi there --

This question has come up quite often, about pregnancy after cervical procedures. I had a trachelectomy in February 2009 for early invasive adenocarcinoma. A trachelectomy basically takes the entire cervix (I only have about 5-10mm of cervix left), and is a fertility saving alternative to a hysterectomy. At the time of my surgery, they also placed a McDonald cerclage, which is sometimes called a purse string cerclage, which basically ties around the top of the remaining cervix (and is often the type used when there are cervical issues during pregnancy, regardless of whether there were previous issues). Mine is permanent, and is what will help provide support during pregnancy. The rate of premature birth/late term loss for me is 25% -- and that's with such little cervix. For those who have had a LEEP and/or cone, you all still have MUCH more cervix than I do, which is of course better.

Elizabeth is right, and when there are "cervical issues" due to prior surgery, you may be monitored as frequently as every two weeks (often less though) to check the length of the cervix as the pregnancy progresses. It all depends on how much was taken during your surgery(s), how much is left, and your general state of health and physical stature.

Closed Thread