It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• New and nervous

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
    TLIMS
    (female)

TLIMS HB User
    Unhappy New and nervous

Hi new here..read a bit and you all seem very supportive and full of knowledge.

I have been waiting 3 months with an HSIL pap for a colposcopy
    this May19th.
    I am scared out of my mind to a degree. MOSTY due to the thought of a LEEP and the adrenaline rush. I can't stand it when my heart races..I know how it feels as I have/had panic attacks and I just can't stand the thought of this. Maybe I won't need a Leep, I don't know. In Canada here and it seems like from what I've read they look with the colposcope, biopsy the obvious and ecc if none obvious as it would be opposite the pap results, and leep lesions on site. Ack I'm just a wreck. I just want it over. I think the worst thing I really fear is that rush...
    I had cryosurgery a long time ago to freeze suspicious cells. HPV wasn't known of then I think and as far as I know I have not been tested for it, but I'm sure I carry it as I've had warts too years and years ago, back close to the cryo I would think. 4 children later..here I am.
    Sooo I guess all of the stress I've endured this past year or so has maybe triggered it again, now that I know about HPV and what it does. My daughters will be getting the vaccine!
    I neglected my paps for a few years but up until this one, they were always good, except of course waaay back when I was about 20.
    I'm old and not invinsible now lol.. I read someones post about legs shaking due to the freezing...is it really that bad? How long does it last? Sorry I'm rambling now..Tuesday is close.
    Oh I hope I don't need a leep. I'm sorry I sound like a baby and you all sound so brave, well post anyways
    Wow I'm writing a small novel..nice to meet you all..wish it were under better circumstances and best to everyone else going through this right now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: New and nervous

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TLIMS View Post
    nice to meet you all..wish it were under better circumstances and best to everyone else going through this right now!
    Amen, and I'm glad you have found us!

If you are going for the colposcopy, I don't think the doctor will do a LEEP at that time. You can always call and verify. He/she most likely will take a biopsy (or so) and perhaps do an ECC. I suggest you ask for one, especially since you have a history of previous problems.

If the doctor wants to do a LEEP, ask if he/she will do a cold knife cone biopsy instead. I didn't have a LEEP, I had the CKC. I was under general anesthesia so I didn't have the adrenaline rush.

Good luck at your appointment on Tuesday. I suggest you go in with a written list of questions. Leave room for writing answers.

Let us know how the appointment goes!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
    TLIMS
    (female)

TLIMS HB User

Thank you for the fast reply..I do have questions and will be sure to ask. Yes I think a ECC is a must. I guess they only don't do them if the lesion(s) is clearly away from the cervical canal. Yeah I know I'm jumping the gun somewhat with the leep as I don't even know what they will see with the colposcopy..but what I read here they often do a diagnosis/treatment (leep being a further diagnostic tool as well asoften treatment combined) if needed and they are able to at that time. I know I wouldn't be forced and may very well need other treatments. I'm just really nervous now that's it's finally here..I will update of course and help anyone else here that I can. I'm gladtheree are places like this for women to share and learn!
    Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

I had a LEEP last month and was sooooooo nervous. I was scared about the adrenaline rush as well, but it really wasn't that bad. The adrenaline rush part was over in like 30 seconds and my doctor waited it out before starting anything. And the LEEP itself was over in about 10 minutes. I was absolutely terrified about getting a LEEP but now that I've had one, I would rather just forgo the whole colpo experience and go straight to the LEEP next time. Hopefully there won't be a "next time" but I've read enough about women needing two or more treatments that I am not naive. Anyway, I would say that the LEEP is easier than the colpo (recovery time is longer though) and if you can get through the colpo, you can get through the LEEP. If you are truly nervous, ask your doctor to prescribe an anti-anxiety medication. I was on one and I truly felt like they could have been sawing an arm off and I would have been ok

Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
    TLIMS
    (female)

TLIMS HB User

30 seconds? Ok so as long as I don't fight it, it could be over that quick? Yes! I know when I fight a panic attack it lasts longer and gets stronger...
    I'm glad things went well for you and often times the leep cures the problem. 90-95% I think it is..depends on if they get all the tissue involved. I pray you are done and stay healthy.
    My colpo and cryo were at least 20 years ago and that's not a bad track record IMHO. Only now am I learning about hpv and how it stays there, dormant. So thankful there is a vaccine for young women now. I've been through some real tough times this past couple years and neglected my paps. Stress triggers this darn virus, lesson learned.
    Anyways a reminder to never neglect paps and look after ourselves
    Thanks so much for the reply oldfashiongirl and again my best to you. Stay healthy and be good to yourself.
    <3

Old 05-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

I think you'll do just fine. I've had panic attacks too but the LEEP adrenaline rush seemed a lot different since I knew that it would pass and I knew why it was happening. Panic attacks are much, much more horrible!

I neglected paps too for quite a few years and was so lucky that they found CIN III versus actual cancer. I have vowed NEVER to miss another pap in my life.

You take care too and keep us posted!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
    TLIMS
    (female)

TLIMS HB User

Well I had the colposcopy done today. My doctor was amazing, she truly cared and made me feel so much better. She said she could see a small area, said nothing looked high grade (but that's not uncommon) took a biopsy as well as an ECC. I made sure to ask for the ECC, but here in Calgary at the Women's Health Center it's always done they said. I said woohoo! It hurt, but it needs to be done and she did a good long painful scrape. Okay the pain was more a weird burning I can't describe it. The biopsy was nothing. If I need a LEEP she said she will make sure I have it in the OR but not under, just perhaps some kind of twilight. They really made me feel in good hands and that's important. 4 weeks for results and I will post back. THANK YOU for your support here, I'll be sure to check back and hopefully be able to lend support to other ladies going through this. Be good to yourselves and stay on top of things. <3

Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

I'm so glad everything went well! Please let us know when you find out the results!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am so glad you feel better after meeting with the doctor. A good doctor can really help us get through difficult times! That ECC isn't fun, but like you said, it had to be done!

Now, rest and take care of yourself. Let us know if you have any questions!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
    sb290647
    (female)

sb290647 HB User

Whats the purpose of having colposcopy. what does this determines

Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
    TLIMS
    (female)

TLIMS HB User

The colposcopy views the cervix with a lighted binocular microscope and the doctor uses acetic acid solution and iodine solution to improve visualization of abnormal areas. Then they can take biopsies and send them to the lab to make certain of what they are.
    Sooo today the office called and I'm CIN11/111 which is okay, because she told me they go with the highest and get rid of it. It is a small area on the outside edge of my cervix. It could have been straight cin3 or higher, so I'm nervous but not near as bad. My ECC was CLEAR!! Biggest relief there! The office was going to book me for the LEEP on
    July 21st, but the doc said OR and twilight because I was so nervous and still am with the adrenaline rush and being able to sit still. I just wanted to say ok let's do it and be braver, but I couldn't make the words come out and my mouth got all dry. I wish I was as brave as some of you all are. I'll post when the LEEP will be and how it goes when I find out. Thanks for being here ladies!

Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm glad you are relieved with your results. And please remember, not all of us had LEEPs. I had a CKC and was perfectly content with being put under general anesthesia for it. I don't think I could have abided the adrenaline rush, etc.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TLIMS View Post
    I wish I was as brave as some of you all are.
    I think most of us would agree that the only reason we sound brave is because the procedures have already been done. Trust me, the two weeks prior to my LEEP I was a nervous wreck. The only way I even got through it was with a high dose of anti-anxiety meds plus pain killers the doctor prescribed. But, it turned out that the LEEP wasn't anywhere close to as bad as I had imagined it would be (but that could have also been thanks to the drugs!) - you will do fine!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
    sb290647
    (female)

sb290647 HB User

What are leeps im so confused about everything im going the gyn for first time on thursday. what should i expect?I

Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
    TLIMS
    (female)

TLIMS HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
    I'm glad you are relieved with your results. And please remember, not all of us had LEEPs. I had a CKC and was perfectly content with being put under general anesthesia for it. I don't think I could have abided the adrenaline rush, etc.
    I know, and CKC for me sounds much more frightening. So I guess we all have different fears and look at each thing with our own fears.

Do you think I shouldn't be pleased with the results? I was hsil, no pap for about 6 yrs ( never again!!), so it wasn't a surprise to see CINII/III ..I expected CINIII minimum. Of course I hoped for CIN I/II, but the cells would have to be removed anyways, especially as I had cryosurgery 20 yrs or so back. My ECC being clear was my biggest relief and I KNOW she took a great scraping.

Closed Thread