It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Bleeding for 10 weeks after LEEP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
    RachW
    (female)

RachW HB User
    Question Bleeding for 10 weeks after LEEP!

I have HSIL. I had a LEEP done on the 12th of March. Besides the fact that the hospital didn't inform me of long term dangers such as stenosis or cervical incomptenance, I haven't gotten ANY information back concerning the lesions that were removed (quadrants, size, etc).

After my LEEP I had no bleeding for 10 days. Then I bled for 10 days straight (heavy bleeding like a period). Then I didn't bleed for 2 days, then I bled for 2 days, then nothing for a week, then I bled again (still heavy, not spotting), then nothing, then bleeding.
    You get the general idea.

I keep bleeding on and off.
    I have woken up covered in blood from the waist down, bright red, and I haven't done any of the things that I was told not to do (no heavy lifting, no sex, no excercise).

I called the hospital after the first 10 days of bleeding and I was brushed off, I was told that it's normal to bleed.

But I have pain in my sides, above my hips.
    She (doctor, nurse?) laughed it off and told me it's fine and it could last up to 6 weeks.

I went to see my gyno, but she was in and out, said that my scabs were way too soft for her to properly examine me and that I should continue my "pelvic rest" for another 3 weeks.
    She was gone so quickly that I forgot to speak to her about the bleeding ( I know, I should have written my questions down, feel really stupid on that one).

That was a month ago.

I have been to the hospital, and was given coagulants for the bleeding, which helped for a week, but didn't stop the problem.

I have another appointment with my hospital next week wtih a different doctor, at which time I will get a copy of my file.

The fact that when I asked the doctors about stenosis and not being able to carry a future pregnancy to term, and they had NO IDEA as to what I was talking about worries me, and doesn't make me feel encouraged to go back to either.

I have been taking my birthcontrol non stop since my LEEP, so I am not having my period. When I spoke with the colposcopy department two weeks ago, they said that it is most likely the pill that is making me bleed, however this is not spotting, and I have previously taken my pill for 2-3 months at a time due to a trip and did not have this bleeding then.

Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Bleeding for 10 weeks after LEEP!

Oh goodness, I can't imagine that bleeding this long is normal. I'm really glad to know that you are going to a new doctor. You might see if you can get a copy of your reports before that appointment so you are somewhat informed before the appointment so you can have your questions in order.

I don't know what to tell you besides learn all you can, write out those questions (I know you will ), and go to the next appointment armed with all the info you can. I hope your new doctor will be able to answer all of your questions (from what was taken and what was the pathology report all the way to why you are bleeding so much so long after the LEEP).

((((hugs))))

Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Wow, 10 weeks is definitely too long! I agree with Pickle and I think it's definitely a good thing that you are going to the doctor and getting copies of your reports. If you can't get them ahead of time, stay in your doctor's office until you read them over and then you will be there and can ask/demand to see the doctor again if you have any questions. I've done that before . . . tee hee

It's definitely time to demand that the doctors do something . . . there must be something. Maybe even using the LEEP wire to recauterize the area. I really don't know, but please don't take no for an answer!

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

That's not normal. I personally had no bleeding after my LEEP, but I know some is normal. But not that much. Sounds like the wound needs to be re-cauterized.

Closed Thread