It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• fear of ovarian cancer help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
    benmacan
    (female)

benmacan HB User
    fear of ovarian cancer help

I am a 37 year old mum of 3 kids and I have a terrible fear of ovarian cancer so much that I feel like I am beginning to get the symptoms. Every month when I ovulate I get terrible pain on alternating ovary that lasts about 2 days with bloating excessive fertile mucus and a lot of flatulence. This month it changed a bit on ovulation a had slight brown mucus on first day. Now the ovulation pain has past but I am left with excessive trapped wind feeling in lower tummy. I had pap smear and pelvic exam last week which was all fine but I cant help stressing about these wind pains on and after ovulation. Help has anyone else experienced this????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
    ksc1968
    (female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User
    Re: fear of ovarian cancer help

absolutely.....I have had a complex ovarian cyst on my left ovary for years...and pain in rt ovary as well, even with normal follicles. I always have very painful ovulations....I buy those menstrual heat patches and use those for 3 days along with advil if needed.
    Go to your gynecologist and ask for a ultrasound. They are quick and inexpensive and will tell you if you have any cysts. If you dont than its just called mittleschmertz (midcycle pain)
    Dont worry!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
    estria
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Be careful, however, about the ultrasound. Women grow cysts on their ovaries as part of their normal cycle so at any point in time you will have follicular cysts showing on your ovaries (and the ultrasound). Ovulation pain or Mittleschmerz is when one of those cysts bursts and releases its egg into the fallopian tube. Some women, like us, can feel this. I am also one of the "lucky" ones and I use Advil, a heating pad and warm baths. These help alot.

As to your symptoms, the important thing is that they go away and are cyclical. It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that something that comes and goes with your menstrual cycle is something to be worried about. Ovarian cancer gives you PERSISTENT symptoms that do not go away. Pain and severe bloating that remain over a two week period and/or a serious change in bowel habits over the same period is a reason to see your doctor. If you know that these symptoms occur during your ovulation, then this is most likely just the way your body functions. The cervical mucus is also completely normal, unless it has a greenish colour or looks like cottage cheese (then this could be a sign of infection). Thickened cervical mucus occurs prior to and after ovulation and this is how most women who are trying to get pregnant know when they are ovulating (in our case we also know the exact moment we ovulate because we feel it happening !). The spotting that you are experiencing (ie. the little bit of brown blood) is also normal but if it is a new thing for you then perhaps you might want to pass it by your doctor (who will probably do a pregnancy test first and foremost).

If you do decide to go for the ultrasound, go around the time of your period so that you are less likely to see functional follicular cysts (the normal kind of cysts). Also keep in mind that ovarian cancer is not a common illness. There are illnesses that are much more likely to get us ... the most prevalent of which is heart disease (the number one killer of women). I too used to obsess over ovarian cancer after they found a very large cyst on one of my ovaries. Eventually the cyst had to be removed with surgery because it was growing but for the year and a half that I watched it with regular ultrasounds I was worried that I could have cancer (even though ovarian cancer would have buried me in that amount of time if nothing was done .. as time went on and I did more research I realized this). During this time, a friend of mine WAS diagnosed with ovarian cancer and I became familiar with the symptoms first hand. In her case, she was unable to keep any food down and had to resort to energy drinks to survive. She also had horrible bowel problems and her girth increased A LOT with all of the ascites (fluid) that had built up in her abdomen. She was exhausted all of the time and felt horrible. This went on for about a month or more and unfortunately, by the time she went to see a doctor she was already at stage 3. However, with courage and determination, she went through the horrible chemo and surgeries and has now been cancer free for about a year (God bless her and touch wood that it will stay that way).

If you begin to have strange symptoms, of course go and see your doctor, but if you have had ovulation pain regularly and the symptoms come and go with your cycle then this is most likely something normal. If you are still worried, go and get that ultrasound but be aware that they may see ovarian cysts as these are completely normal for women.

Take care of yourself.

Estria

The following user gives a hug of support to estria:
    DIANEMES52 (09-04-2011)
    Old 11-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
    MAKUWA
    (female)

MAKUWA HB User

ATTENTION ALL WOMEN:

Let's get real....If you suspect something is wrong go to your doctor and demand a full blood work up that encludes a C125 blood test! It is one of the better ways to detect Ovarian Cancer..
    If you have off and on bloating, cramps and back pain, stomache bloating and dark spotting, these can be some signs of a problem. Mostly a squeezing feeling in your sides like a tight belt, run don't walk to your doctor!

The Following User Says Thank You to MAKUWA For This Useful Post:
    DIANEMES52 (09-04-2011)
    Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
    Janna125
    (female)

Janna125 HB User

What is meant by tight feeling in side like a belt? I worry about ovarian cancer too, but I really don't have any of the other symptoms. I have had this lower back pain on my left side and a tight feeling around my hip bone on that side. It comes and goes. What does that mean?

Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
    MAKUWA
    (female)

MAKUWA HB User

Oh sweetie, you should just go see your doctor and put your mind at rest. If you fear Ovarian cancer please demand that your doctor does a C125-blood test. The C125 blood test is one of the better ways to detect Ovarian cancer. Also a sonagram is the number one way to see if there are tumors.
    What you are describing could be just a small Ovarian cyst. The pain I was having was mostly in my back by my kidneys and went all around my waist to my naval. It felt like someone had a large belt around my waist and slowly would tighten it until I felt like I couldn't breath.
    Don't fear cancer although it is a terrible disease, just remember that Knowlegde is power.
    God Bless

Closed Thread