It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Atypical gladular cells and pregnant

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
    egsabau
    (female)

egsabau HB User
    Atypical gladular cells and pregnant

I am 15 weeks pregnant and at my OB appt today I was told that my PAP from 4 weeks ago showed atypical glandular cells. All the research I have found says that more invasive tests need to be done, but I don't think I can have those tests done while pregnant. I am scheduled for a colpo in 3 weeks. Has anyone ever been through this while pregnant? Interested in your course of treatment? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User
    Re: Atypical gladular cells and pregnant

Hi there -- I have not gone through this while pregnant, but through my research I know that there are at least a few docs who are making great strides in treating cervical issues during pregnancy. First see what the colpo says, and then hopefully there will be nothing to worry about....but since you are probably like most of us -- meaning you will worry anyway -- I've read about a few docs who've done cone biopsies on pregnant women and been able to successfully treat the mother without harm to the child. Sorry I don't have more specific info regarding exactly how most gyns approach these issues during pregnancy.

Please keep us posted!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
    egsabau
    (female)

egsabau HB User

Where do you suggest finding one of these doctors? Any reputable websites you recommend? I hate to just google these things. What about the society of gynecologic oncologists website? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
    andreaxjean
    (female)

andreaxjean HB User
    Exclamation Re: Atypical gladular cells and pregnant

I went through the same exact thing. Seriously, don't sweat it. I had the colposcopy done while I was pregnant too but because I was pregnant they didn't take any biopsies... I don't know if that's always the case for pregnant women in that situation. Anyway... the colposcopy is going to be just a few squirts of vinegar (which smells awful) and then they're going to magnify everything to see where the areas of concern are. In my case, there was nothing visibly of concern at the time... I was told that after delivery I'd be monitored every 6 months starting immediately just to make sure everything was going ok.

So I had a pap 6 weeks after delivery during the same appointment to check to see if I was healing. Nothing changed in the pap from when I had one in the beginning of my pregnancy but the cells were still there so they still wanted to monitor me every 6 months. I went back six months later and the cells had gone from low grade to high grade so they redid the colposcopy and this time took two biopsies. Because of my age (21) they told me I was not at high risk for cervical cancer because the HPV infection could clear up on its own. However, until I have two normal pap smears in a row I have to continue to be checked every six months rather than yearly.

There are 5 steps towards cervical cancer and its a 10 year process, so unless you have been sexually active for 10 years or longer, don't worry! And if you have been for more than 10 years, if you've been having regular pap smears, don't sweat it! These are the steps:

Normal
    |
    CIN1 - mild
    |
    CIN2 - moderate
    |
    CIN3 - severe
    |
    Cancer

Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia (CIN) dysplasia of the cervical epithelium, often premalignant, characterized by various degrees of hyperplasia, abnormal keratinization, and the presence of condylomata.

My doctor told me that I'm between CIN1 and CIN2 which are both treated differently so as of now I'm not being treated at all until they see where it goes (better or worse).

Right now, don't fret. Just enjoy your pregnancy. I loved being pregnant and can't wait to do it all over again. =]

Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
    jana83
    (female)

jana83 HB User

I'm also 15 weeks pregnant and I had a cone biopsy for AIS (adenocarcinom in situ) 2 months before I conceived. I'm supposed to have a follow-up appointment with my gyn/onc in a month, but my ob/gyn told me that normally they don't do any procedures when you're pregnant and she was unsure of whether I'll need to reschedule my follow-up (I find out in a couple of weeks).

Colposcopy should be fine, but I would say no to ECC, biopsy or anything more invasive, since with procedures there is always a possibility of infection and fetal death (it's a slim chance, but still). You only have 6 months to go anyway and in those 6 months likely not much will change. Besides, if you did have a cone done, you'd get either full or local anesthesia, probably combined with other drugs, which may not be good for the baby - even though the drugs may be approved for pregnant women. But that's just me, I don't trust any pharmaceuticals beyond Tylenol and antibiotics when absolutely needed.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
    jacmay
    (female)

jacmay HB User

If it is atypical gladular cells it is more aggressive and the 10yr plan generally is not the case. It is definately more worrisome and should be treated. However, with that said as the first person who responded advised you should be able to find a doctor who would either do a leep, which is really no biggie or a cone and still continue with the pregnancy...but since it is gladular it definately needs to be addressed gladular is completely different than 90% of abnormal paps...

Good luck to you. Just be your own doctor & advocate and get checked often and you should be just fine.

Jac

Old 10-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
    jana83
    (female)

jana83 HB User

While I agree that glandular changes are different from squamous and may not take 10 years to develop into cancer, I still wouldn't push for a procedure now unless really necessary - and definitely discuss that with a doctor who does such procedures during pregnancy too.

The risk from such procedures as the leep or cone in pregnancy is not to be underestimated. Both pose a risk for infection which can lead to miscarriage and a cone could cause cervical insufficiency and lead to premature birth.

I hope you find good professional advice and make an informed decision.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
    andreaxjean
    (female)

andreaxjean HB User

Ah, yes. Now I see our problem is different. I found this link and it says basically what everyone else us saying:
    < edited >

I still think that unless your doctor thinks it's absolutely necessary, nothing further will be done until after you deliver (I was told if I had surgery to remove the surface of my cervix I may not be able to carry a pregnancy to term or at all). So wait for the doc's word and just try and enjoy your pregnancy!

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-16-2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy.

Closed Thread