It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• positve for atypical glandular cells

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
    pumkin2
    (female)

pumkin2 HB User
    positve for atypical glandular cells

I am a 40yr. old married mother of two girls, had a pap done in sept., came back positive for hpv, then two biospys done, came back ok. Wen to doctor this past week and wants to do cold knife cone on 12/4/2009 due to positve for atypical glandular cells , i am so scared because there is a strong history of cancer in my family. Everything i have read about these cells is not good and dec is a long time off, please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
    Re: positve for atypical glandular cells

Pumkin:

That totally sucks you have to wait! I'm sure you probably asked, but can't your doctor do it sooner? Try not to worry too much . . . in general, cervical abnormalities and are caught quite early. That fact that this is glandular cells is more concerning, but don't jump to the conclusion that this is cancer.

When your doctor did the biopsies, did she also do an ECC? That's the way they usually sample glandular cells which are higher up in the cervical canal.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
    pumkin2
    (female)

pumkin2 HB User

Hello, and thank you for responding to my post. No she didnt do an ecc, the cells came up with the pap. I have a good doctor i do trust, but i am scared and i dont want have my husband and family worry more than they already are,so i keep most of it inside. I have the most loving and great parents that i am really close to. My mother lost one sister to brain cancer and one to breast cancer(19 and 47). My mom is already worried and has gone with me to every appt but the last, my husband went with me. Icant tell you the last time i slept thru the night.If there is cancer, i just want it out. Thank you again for responding, you brought a smile to my face.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi Pumkin,

I am glad you have so many loving people around you. Please allow them to comfort you and help you as best they can. It is one way for them to show their love and concer, and it helps you! This was a very difficult lesson for me to learn when I was going through diagnosis and treatment. People want to help, they just need us to reach out for their offered hand!

I don't know if you read my story or not, but I was diagnosed with AIS from an ECC during a colpo. I had a CKC and it diagnosed adenocarcinoma Ia1. My gyn/onc recommended treatment as a total hyst (cervix and uterus, I got to decide whether to keep my ovaries or not - so I kept them) and that was it. No chemo and no radiation. She said my cancer was caught so early and it was so small that the hyst was my only needed treatment! That was 1.5 years ago. I was released from my gyn/onc at my 1 year anniversary!

So, AIS and/or atypical glandular cells is (comparatively) easily treatable in early stages.

Oh, one more thing. Cervical cancer is not genetic. It is caused (in greater than 99.9% of the time) by HPV.

Let us know how you are doing!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
    tmc44
    (female)

tmc44 HB User

I just had a bad pap result of atypical glandular cells of unknown sign. 3 biopsies - Endocervical and Endometrial came back normal but the cervical came back mild. We are at the watchful waiting stage. Repeat pap in 4 months. How has your story played out?

I am very scared!

God Bless

Last edited by tmc44; 03-26-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
    Prissypoo81
    (female)

Prissypoo81 HB User
    Wink Re: positve for atypical glandular cells

Hello all! I wanted to come in and tell you my story, KNOWING it will help all others with my same diagnosis. I have HPV (high risk) Atypical GLANDULAR cells of unknown significance (endocervical...*inside the cervix) I was terrified! I dont really see any comforting stuff about this issue. Ive read it basically means pre-CANCER or worse=( Well, let me tell you, it doesnt! I had not had a pap in YEARS..had reoccuring bacterial vaginosis for over a year, and I was insuranceless (thank you Planned Parenthood for helping me get this all figured out!!) After I got the abnormal pap with news of having AGU I did a lot of my own online reasearch..(which I DONT recommend until you know for sure whats happening!) I basically diagnosed MYSELF with cancer. Every pain in my tummy or lower abs felt like cancer. Every issue I had going on, I was contributing it to cancer..It was scary and horrible! With my mom having died of breast cancer and my gramdma having had cervical cancer I felt the odds were totally against me. After a few very difficult, sleepless, tear filled weeks I went in for a biopsy and polposcopy of the innner, and outer cervical areas to see what I was dealing with. Much to my surprise, everything was normal..NO MORE HPV, NO MORE ATYPICAL CELLS. Gone *POOF*..as for my tummy issues?? They said I had benign cysts (PCOS) and stomach ulcers (too much stress!) Considering Im only 30 years old, Im guessing this whole issue made my ulcers worse! So please, ladies, dont freak out..it is possible this matter can disappear on its own..please remember you will need follow up paps every 6 months to make sure this issue stays away, start taking all your vitamins and supplements and eating healthy! Exercise is also great for keeping cancers away! FYI..for my friends out there with the reoccuring BV..what worked for me (they do not recommend this at the Dr.s office..but it worked well for me..) I douched with a small amount of water and apple cider vinegar every few days (3 parts water, 1 part vinegar) and used Metro gel (rx) when needed. Yes, the gel causes some strange issues, but its better than haveing an infection in your girly bits!

Closed Thread