It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Just diagnosed with cervical Adenocarcinoma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
    Sherri102
    (female)

Sherri102 HB User
    Just diagnosed with cervical Adenocarcinoma

I am new to this site, and was hoping maybe someone who has been through this might have some advice for me. After a abnormal pap and a biopsy my doctor told me I have Cervical Adenocarcimona. I believe he said it was Adenocarcinoma in situ?? I am scheduled for the LEEP procedure tomorrow. He said after this he will be able to see if it has spread into the uteres. He has recomended I have a hyst. regardless of what the LEEP shows. I am 33 and have 2 children one of which is only 4 months old. I am fairly certain that we were done having children anyway, but I am concerned this would be unnessacery if just the bad tissue can be removed? My doctor seemed firm that the hyst. was the way to go. My first instinct was just to have the hyst. so their is no chance of having any future problems, but now I am not sure. I am going to have a second opinion next month. If anyone out there has been throught this, any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
    enp123
    (female)

enp123 HB User
    Re: Just diagnosed with cervical Adenocarcinoma

Hi Sherri,
    I have recently received the same dx. It seems adenocarcinoma is treated w/ a hysterectomy as the cone or leap is not always effective in getting all the cancer. Your doctor may want to do the LEEP to verify that it's only in situ in which case a simple (not radical) hysterectomy may be sufficient. If you are not already, I would strongly recommend you see a gyn/onc. Please let us know result fo LEEP, elyse

Old 11-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

HI there -- welcome, and sorry to hear about your diagnosis. If you have adenocarcinoma in situ, you don't have invasive cancer, and this is often also called Stage 0 cancer (also AIS for short). Generally when AIS is detected through a biopsy the next step is a cold knife cone (CKC) procedure so that the margins can be better assessed. It's very similar to a LEEP procedure, except that it is done under general anesthesia and a scalpel is used instead of the instrument used during the LEEP, which burns the tissue edges, which can be a problem if the margins are close. The scalpel will give nice clean edges to read.

If you are done having children, a lot of gyns will recommend (and even insist!) that a hyst is necessary/recommended even for AIS, which is non-invasive cancer. However, even with invasive cancer, if it's caught early enough, either a CKC with sufficient margins or a trachelectomy (which is a nearly complete cervix removal, but still retains fertility) is an option.

I would strongly suggest seeking an opinion with a gyn oncologist, as they are much more familiar with these issues, and can suggest less radical options. A lot of ob/gyns will jump right to the hyst option. I was diagnosed with AIS after a colpo and biopsy, and my CKC revealed that it was Stage 1a2/1b1 invasive adenocarcinoma. When my gyn told me the AIS diagnosis, he also said I would need a hyst if it turned out to be invasive. He was wrong. I qualified for -- and received -- a trachelectomy instead. In retrospect, I would have just opted for a second, larger CKC procedure, which is what some cancer centers are now recommending for early stage cancers.

I would suggest talking to your doctor about why he is doing a LEEP rather than a CKC with an AIS diagnosis. And definitely try to see a gyn/onc!!

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Last edited by zoe96; 11-19-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: clarity

Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Zoe has given you some wonderful and detailed information.

I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma stage Ia1 in April of 2008. I was 44 at the time and had no plans to have children. I went to a gyn/onc and she recommended a total hyst (uterus and cervix only). I had the hyst in June of 08. In June of 2009 my gyn/onc released me from her care because she said I needed no more follow through and she didn't think I needed care from a gyn/onc any longer.

My gyn/onc said a CKC was a better diagnostic tool for AIS/AdCA (adenocarcinoma) than a LEEP because the CKC preserves the edges of the tissue sample. The LEEP doesn't preserve the edges.

Like Zoe, I strongly suggest you get an appointment with a gyn/onc before you make any further surgical decisions. I know that talking with a gyn/onc gave me a huge relief because I knew I was talking with an expert.

Good luck and let us know how we can help. We'll do what we can.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
    Sherri102
    (female)

Sherri102 HB User

Thank you all so much, it really helps to talk to people who have been throught this. I am definatley going to seek out a gyn/onc. I will keep you posted!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
    Badprop
    (female)

Badprop HB User

All the best with your next examination and remember to take deep calming breaths. I have been diagnosed with carcinoma stage 3b and from my point of view better overkill with the treatment than not. Thinking of you and we here if you need a ear to listen.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

Sherri -- I'm super pressed for time so sorry for the brief response, but in my opinion biopsies are not painful for more than a quick pinch for a second, and require no pain killers. I haven't had a LEEP, but I did have a CKC (cold knife cone, basically the same thing as a LEEP only they use a blade instead, so I was under general anesthesia for the actual procedure). Afterwards I took 800mg motrins for about a day, and then was fine. Uncomfortable? Sure, it is surgery. Unbearable and requiring large amounts of drugs? Not really. Just my experience. I just didn't want you to get scared This is all very scary, but also very manageable.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
    francegirl
    (female)

francegirl HB User

Hi Sherri I too was just recently dx w/AIS. On a roller coaster of emotion over here ;-(

My gyn immediately referred me to a gyn-onc. I had a CKC 10 days after first meeting with the gyn-onc (BTW the CKC can be done under IV sedation and local anesthetic, mine was, and I had no pain - my dr doesn't see the need for general since the procedure takes about 20 mins)... margins were clear, showed nothing but the in situ disease, no invasive cancer. He is recommending a simple hyst if done with childbearing (I am) or if not, watch and wait and test/sample every 3 months. He said it was up to me.

I am totally upset by the prospect of the hyst, but I don't want to watch and wait, only to regret that decision if the AIS progresses. I have thought about watching and waiting for one year, but I'm not sure I even want to - I think if I could watch/wait ten years I might be ok with it mentally. But one year probably won't make things better for me, and in addition, it will be hanging over my head the whole time. So I have a surgery date for Feb.

Not sure what part of the country you are in but perhaps someone in your area has a good gyn-onc recommendation. I really like mine, even tho I wish I never had the need to hear his name! Good luck.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
    Sherri102
    (female)

Sherri102 HB User

I recived my leep results and the margins were clear and it was still in situ. That was a huge relief, but my Dr. is still pushing for the hystorectomy. He acually seemes rather offended when I brought up seeking a second opinion. After the advice I recieved on here I am currently looking for a onc/gyno. I have an appt next week with the doctor my mom goes to, she thought if nothing else maybe she could refer us to a onc/gyno. I prefer not to have the hysto. as we are not 100% sure were are done having kids, but the thought of this comming back is making me think it might be the best.....idk. anyway, just wanted to update everyone, thanks again for all the great advice! I'll let you know!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

If the doctor is offended at you seeking a second opinion, then I say farewell!

Some of my concerns are that he did a LEEP with suspected AIS. Most doctors will do a CKC because the LEEP singes/burns the edges of the tissue sample and makes it more difficult to determine margins. Secondly, with AIS on the LEEP sample, I'm surprised the doctor (gyno, I'm assuming) didn't send you to a gyn/onc for consultation.

Many doctors think a hyst is the best treatment plan for AIS or Stage I AdCA, regardless of the woman's age. Newer research is indicating that more conservative options (repeated CKCs, or a trachelectomy) will preserve fertility. Then, after the woman is finished having her children she can then decide (with the doctor's help) whether to have a hyst or not (assuming AIS or the stage I AdCA doesn't progress).

Let us know how the next appointment goes.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
    If the doctor is offended at you seeking a second opinion, then I say farewell!
    No kidding Pickle Eyes! Before getting any major surgery, you should get a second opinion if it's not an immediate emergency!

Pickle is also right about the CKC. You definitely should have had that instead of LEEP. That alone makes me think that this doctor is not appropriate for you. I don't think having had a LEEP is really worse than having a CKC IF you get clear margins, which you did. But I believe you are less likely to get clear margins with the LEEP.

One doctor I went to explainied the hysterectomy option this way: the hyst is actually the easiest option. You have a hyst (which has a not too bad recovery if they do it laproscopically) and then you are finished with having to think about adenocarcinoma. If you don't have a hyst, you have to come in every 3 months for a colposcopy, eventually less frequently, but you will have to have them at least annually for forever. He said it was up to me what to do, but since I definitely plan on having kids in the future, it was no-brainer to just have follow up colposcopies for now.

So first get to a gyn/onc and then take all the time you want deciding whether you want a hyst.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
    cat1321
    (female)

cat1321 HB User

Thanks for all of your posts on here. I just got home from finding how that I have AIS and I'm scheduled for a LEEP on Monday. Any other info you can share would be great. This was a horrible surprise - had an abnormal pap 2 years ago and then normal every 4 months until July 2009. Dec 09 was abnormal too so the colpo and biopsy were done earlier this week now I have AIS out of nowhere and I'm definitely freaked out. It is so frustrating that there is nothing I can do to cure this.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #13
    cksun
    (female)

cksun HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Badprop View Post
    All the best with your next examination and remember to take deep calming breaths. I have been diagnosed with carcinoma stage 3b and from my point of view better overkill with the treatment than not. Thinking of you and we here if you need a ear to listen.
    If you don't mind me asking, were you diagnosed with Stage 3B before or after a CKC? I am going in for a CKC on the 25th after being diagnosed with AIS and I am worried sick the results will be much worse than the colcoscopy...

Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
    Badprop
    (female)

Badprop HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cksun View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, were you diagnosed with Stage 3B before or after a CKC? I am going in for a CKC on the 25th after being diagnosed with AIS and I am worried sick the results will be much worse than the colcoscopy...

I got final confirmation of the cancer after the colposcopy but at what stage it was came only after I did the MRI, CT and finally the PET scan. Sorry I can't be of more help here, I somehow can't remember a lot of this period in my life.

Closed Thread