It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Atypical Endocervical Glandular Cells-My stomach is in knots

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
    kosm
    (female)

kosm HB User
    Atypical Endocervical Glandular Cells-My stomach is in knots

I posted a question but didn't get any responses yet. I am so upset about this and cannot relax. I received an abnormal pap last year showing Atypical Endocervical Glandular Cells, pathology unknown but cannot rule out cancer. So, I got an Endocervical Curretage which showed "Mild Dysplasia". I also got an endometrial biopsy which came back totally normal. So, my doc said to just repeat the pap 6 months later. I just got my repeat pap results 2 days ago and what do you know? They show the same thing as before "Atypical Endocervical Glandular Cells-unknown pathology, cannot rule out cancer".

I was so relieved after getting the biopsy results. I thought that I was ok. Well, now they are saying that something HAS to be wrong for 2 paps to come back like this. Maybe I have cancer and the biopsy missed it? I am 33 years old, if that helps. So, we are repeating the biopsies in hopes of finding out the cause, but more than likely a cone biopsy will be needed, or even a D and C.

Just how is it possible to have a normal biopsy and yet still have these results. Please someone respond, I am really not doing well today. Thanks so much.
    kosm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
    karensk
    (female)

karensk HB User
    Re: Atypical Endocervical Glandular Cells-My stomach is in knots

Aww, kosm, I'm so sorry you are upset over this. Believe me, I know the stress of all this...I'm in knots myself due to surgery Monday.

However, please try not to stress too much. The Pap is a screening test, nothing more. Obviously there is an abnormality there (you said the last biopsy showed mild dysplasia), but another biopsy would give you a definitive answer and I hope and pray everything is fine for you. The cone and D & C should give you an answer, and I hope you can that over with ASAP.

I'm doing the stupid cone biopsy and D & C on Monday. My Pap was ASC-H this time, the colposcopic biopsy showed mild dysplasia, but unfortunately my ECC showed CIN2/3. I have been having on-and-off ASCUS Paps for yrs now.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
    kosm
    (female)

kosm HB User

Karne, thanks so much for your reply! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for your surgery tommorrow. Scary stuff. Isn't it pretty much outpatient? Have you ever had glandular abnormalities on your pap? My doc said that mild dysplasia can regress on its own. Is Mild dysplasia specific to squamous cells? I am so confused...lol...I am googling everything I can find and I feel like I'm a detective. I have to get another ECC and uterine biopsy. Not looking forward to it.
    Let us me know how surgery goes! I am hoping the best for you!! I hear that many times, getting a D and C and Cone biopsy for what you have can pretty much cure it. So, you may get to put this all behind you soon!!
    Kosm

Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

My mother in law had the same thing show up on her Pap test results. She is 78. They did a D&C on her and it turned out she didn't have anything wrong with her. Just be sure and do all the follow up they ask you to do, then you will know for sure.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
    kosm
    (female)

kosm HB User

Really? Did they do biopsies before the D and C? wow

Old 01-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I'm not HereKittyKitty, but I can share what my experience was. When I had my cold knife cone biopsy the doctor put me under using a general anesthesia (but not a heavy sedation, the procedure took less than an hour from start to finish). While I was under the general anesthesia the doctor did a second ECC, a uterine biopsy, a D&C, and the CKC.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
    kosm
    (female)

kosm HB User

Pickle Eyes,
    Thank you so much for your responses. You are very helpful and I have learned a lot by reading your posts, on my threads and on others. It helps to hear from others who have been through this and can help clear the medical jargon that looks so scary. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks again!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #8
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kosm View Post
    Really? Did they do biopsies before the D and C? wow
    The doctor decided for several reasons to go straight to a D & C instead of doing a uterine biopsy first. He said the uterine biopsy is painful and he didn't want to stress her out at her age and he wanted more than just a small uterine sample, so he decided to put her under and do the D&C and take the whole lining out and test the whole thing.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
    kosm
    (female)

kosm HB User

Wow, I would think it would be more stressful to go through a D and C rather than a Uterine biopsy. I had a Uterine biopsy and while it is painful, I still don't think the stress compares with going through a D and C! Wow! I am sorry to hear that she had to go through that for nothing.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
    nahi
    (female)

nahi HB User

yes it is possible to have a normal biopsy and abnormal pap smears. Actually I was diagnosed with atypical glandular cells of unknown significance on my pap smear my biopsy came out clear. I am schedule for a leep surgery next week. I am very anxious. as you are I am sorrry nobody has answered u but I know what you are going through.

The Following User Says Thank You to nahi For This Useful Post:
    blon55 (08-12-2012)
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    The doctor decided for several reasons to go straight to a D & C instead of doing a uterine biopsy first. He said the uterine biopsy is painful and he didn't want to stress her out at her age and he wanted more than just a small uterine sample, so he decided to put her under and do the D&C and take the whole lining out and test the whole thing.
    I was also scheduled for an endometrial biopsy/ uterine biopsy last December, and at the last minute my doctor changed her mind and did a D&C instead, under general anesthesia.

Couple of reasons:

1. Transvaginal ultrasound showed that my endometrial lining was 20 mm thick, and so she wanted to get more than just the small sample that a biopsy would provide, and

2. I was already scheduled to be put to sleep and have a large cervical polyp removed, and so I guess she figured she could do both procedures at the same time, which she did.

I was relieved not to have to have the endometrial biopsy, as I read on the internet that it's brutally painful for some women, and at least moderately painful for all women.

All of my results (the D&C and the polyp) came back absolutely fine.

I wish all of you luck.
    A D&C is not something to be afraid of.
    They're basically just scraping off a layer of tissue that would've fallen off on its own anyway, the next time you had a period. It's a simple procedure.
    It doesn't hurt afterward, and you're fine within a few hours of having it.
    You could go back to work the next day, if you wanted.

Last edited by Kali333; 02-19-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
    WINKI
    (female)

WINKI HB User

Hey I'm new to the sight. I was just told today that my pap come back Atypical glandular cells on my cervix. I was not expecting that. I'm so upset. Trying to be positive about it. How are you doing? Do you have more information you can share with me.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
    purseshoes
    (female)

purseshoes HB User

define atypical glandular cells on pap

Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
    sally97
    (female)

sally97 HB Usersally97 HB User

I just received a diagnosis of Atypical Glandular Cells ..... got a colposcopy and endometrial biopsy just yesterday.

I am awaiting the results of the tests, but am very nervous and upset.... can't sleep at night and my appetite is gone.

I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone with experience with this.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
    tmc44
    (female)

tmc44 HB User

I was diagnosed with AGC in Feb. 2012. I was quicky scheduled for an ECC & endometrial biopsy and colposcopy. Two of the three came back benign... Cervix showed mild dysplasia.
    Doctor suggested watchful waiting and after calling an oncologist he agreed. I went back to the doctor with some mild discomfort in April and was scheduled for an ultrasound within a week. They found 5 or 6 fibroid tumors. With the fibroid findings and my recent AGCUS diagnosis the doctor suggested a total hysterectomy (my uterus and cervix). I had a hysterectomy on June 5, 2012. Final pathology showed no cancer in my uterus but moderate dysplasia on my cervix. I am positive for high risk HPV so I will still have to go back every year for paps on my vaginal cuff. HPV is some scary stuff.

Closed Thread