It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Biopsy Results came in today.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
    aprice
    (female)

aprice HB User
    Biopsy Results came in today.

So the nurse called me today with my biopsy results. I am CIN1... And they said their not going to do anything right now and that I will have a pap in 6 months. Is this good? Or should I have something done? My mind is a little more eased since I do not have cancer stage 1-4. But I just don't want it to progress into anything more than it already is. And it has been abnormal for 2 years. Any ideas guys? Thanks for any suggestions and your time in advance.

Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Biopsy Results came in today.

I would think CIN I/ mild dysplasia is a pretty good diagnosis. It can be monitored easily, the body might be able to reverse it, and it is very early stage.

My concern is that if you've had abnormal paps for 2+ years, then what are they doing besides watch and wait? That doesn't seem quite right to me. Have you had a cone biopsy? I can't remember from your other thread.

Have you received copies of all of the pathology reports from your bad paps?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
    aprice
    (female)

aprice HB User

Yes Pickle Eyes, I could see where that might sound different... What happened was, I've had 3 maybe 4 I don't remember paps come up abnormal I believe when I had my first one come up abnormal was when I went into see the doctor while I was pregnant with my daughter. So they did a colposcopy but he said he wasn't going to do a biopsy unless he had to since I was pregnant. So we had the colposcopy and he didn't do a biopsy. So once I had my daughter 4 weeks after I had a pap to see how it was and it came back abnormal so the following week I had my 2nd colposcopy and he didn't biopsy then either. So then a year past and I went in for my yearly pap and it came back abnormal. So last Friday I just had my 3rd colposcopy and he did a biopsy this last time. With the results of mild dysplasia/ CINI.... And they said that I needed to come in in 6 months for another pap to see if it has gone away or if it needs further treatment(LEEP)...So my feelings are if it is still abnormal after 2 years then I really don't think it's going to get better in 6 months... What do you think about all of this?? Thanks so much for responding.

Amanda

Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
    aprice
    (female)

aprice HB User

Oh and to answer your last 2 questions, no I haven't had any other tests or biopsies. just 3 paps and 3 colposcopies and 1 biopsy during my last colpo.. Oh and to answer your other question no I haven't gotton the pathology reports. Should I since it's mild? I don't want to make a big deal about it, I know I'm lucky for it to only be CIN I I just wanted to stay on top of everything...

Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
    EekaM765
    (female)

EekaM765 HB User

I think what my doctor told me is that they are operating on only 3 levels of cancer now. 1 is pretty much nothing, 2 means you need to have a LEEP or something similar, and 3 is cancer. I had a pretty terrible gynie, but that is what she told me.

I wouldn't worry since it's mild. Mine was moderate to severe and the LEEP cleared it right up Worse come to worse you will have to have the LEEP (which sux), but it clears up the issue 95% of the time. It's pretty effective. Glad to hear that the results weren't awful Good luck!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Aprice, you said that you want to stay on top of things. For that reason I suggest you get the copies. If for no other reason than to know exactly what tests were taken, what tissue was taken, and what the exact words from the pathologist are. It shouldn't be a problem for the doctor's office to get a copy of the results for you. All they have to do is pull your chart and copy the page(s) or pull up your records and hit print.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EekaM765 View Post
    I think what my doctor told me is that they are operating on only 3 levels of cancer now. 1 is pretty much nothing, 2 means you need to have a LEEP or something similar, and 3 is cancer. I had a pretty terrible gynie, but that is what she told me.
    I think what you are describing is levels of precancer: CIN I/ mild dysplasia, CIN II/ moderate dysplasia, CIN III/ severe dysplasia. Somewhere between the CIN/dysplasias and levels of cancer is "in situ" (carcinoma in situ/ squamous cell precancerous cells or adenocarcinoma in situ/ glandular cell precancers). Some doctors/pathologists refer to insitu as precancerous and others refer to insitu as Stage 0 cancer. Literally, though, "in situ" means in place. That means the cancer has not gone below the outer layer/beyond the cell wall.

There are 4 stages of cancer. Stage 1 the cancer is still within the cervix. Stage 2 has spread to other tissue but is contained within the pelvic area. Stage 3 cancer has spread to the lower part of the vagina and/or into the pelvic wall. Stage 4 cancer has metastisized or spread to distant organs (like the lungs). Each one of those 4 stages is divided into substages/levels.

I hope that helps.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
    slpRose
    (female)

slpRose HB User

Well in my anxieties of waiting for my results... I find myself "wondering the web" and now I'm here and it just seems like it's all moving so fast...

First, my advice, stick with the paps, hon! You'll be thankful later.

My quick history... I've had abnormal paps for a while. Always squamous. They took biopsies with the first colp but all was clear. I continued to have abnormal paps but after a year, I finally went back to normal again - it resolved itself. After 4 normal paps (each spaced 3-4 mo. apart), I was able to go back to my annual exam. I scheduled my annual, so happy to not have to face the stirrups so often, and thoroughly enjoyed my year "off". A year went by and sure enough, it was abnormal again. I had another colp, no biopsies taken since nothing was seen on the exocervix, and was told to come back in 6 months for another pap. Watch and wait again.

12/21/09, I went in for that 6-mo checkup and it came back abnormal glandular cells. It had always been squamous abnormalities until this point.. I went in for my third colposcopy, and he also did the ECC. I was diagnosed with AIS and just had my CKC done Monday (1/25). I'm awaiting results.

To make matters worse, I'm a nursing student and I tutor students in biology classes like Anatomy and Physiology and Pathophysiology. Typically I'd dive into work and get away from the stress but in this case I can't get away from it. So I find myself here... not exactly "away" from it but I guess at the moment I feel like I'm misery in search of company.

Second - my queries.
    I feel in my gut that it's not more than AIS or stage I cancer. Partially because I had only had a pap 6-mo prior. I feel as though we caught this as quickly as possible. My problem is that I'm not ready to have kids for at least another 7-10 years. My husband and I have set those as our plans and neither of us will budge on that. Does anyone know how risky it is to wait that long given my AIS diagnosis now? It just seems to me that waiting that long is like playing russian roulette given the glandular cell peculiarities. It would make more sense to me to have the hysterectomy now and be 100% cured.

I don't have strong convictions about having children. My hubby and I WANT to have kids, and we certainly want them to be our own biology, but if it puts me at greater risk, especially with the 7-10 year wait being non-negotiable, It would seem smarter to have a hysterectomy now and adopt later if we feel the need to have children. Thoughts?

I understand this is rather "black and white" thinking, and I know there are other options out there to help preserve fertility, and I'm all for it, if it's 100% safe for me to wait. If it's "just" AIS right now, and this comes back with clear margins, GREAT! But then what if it comes back as cancer? Why put myself in the position to even POSSIBLY get that diagnosis? I would rather have already had a hysterectomy and be cured. I'm sure many women wouldn't think like this because most of us want to have kids one day. I think I would have some "sad moments" but in general, I can be VERY content without kids. I know I'll have all the answers I seek when I talk to my doctor, but until then, these thoughts won't leave me alone!

Closed Thread