It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• About to have my first LEEP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
    Gigi81
    (female)

Gigi81 HB User
    About to have my first LEEP

Hi,

I had my first abnormal Pap (mild dysplasia) about 5 months ago and had to wait about 4 months to have my first colposcopy. My doctor didn't even explain to me the risks of having high-grade dysplasia from my colposcopy because she assumed that I would only have mild results and that my body would just clear the infection on its own. I just got my results back from the biopsy 2 days ago and it is at its most severe- CIN 3. She told me this does not mean that I have cancer, but most likely, if left untreated, I will have cancer.
    I haven't been able to schedule my LEEP yet because of scheduling issues. And am afraid that they will make me wait another couple of months for the procedure and by then, I will have cancer!!

My question is, how soon should one have a LEEP done if the colposcopy results came back as high-grade? Also, I know that there will be a large part of my cervix taken during the procedure and have read horror stories of not being able to carry a baby, deliver early or worse yet, having to have a full hysterectomy and never even having the option to conceive. I read conflicting accounts of women being able to get pregnant and deliver perfectly healthy babies even after several LEEPs. I am 28 and have not had children, but desperately want to in the future.

Please help....I am scared and really don't know what to expect from all of this.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
    mommyandwifey
    (female)

mommyandwifey HB User
    Re: About to have my first LEEP

A couple of things. First, I just had my 2nd colposcopy today in as many years. Prior to the procedure, my Dr wrote down all the stages, the chances of regression and progression without treatment. Even at CIN 3, she told me that some cases resolve on their own and apx 30% progress to cancer. That means 70% do not progress to cancer. That said, she said given my demographics...39, two children already, she would likely "treat" me. Treat could mean Leep or cone but could also mean a hyst.

Next, you mentioned "a large part" of your cervix would be taken. After the colpo today, my dr drew a picture of my cervix and showed me where and apx how large the abnormalities were. She took biopsies at 12:00 and 5:00. So, did your Dr tell you they were taking "a large part" or are you assuming? I would ask him/ her.

Finally, you ask how quickly should you have Leep with CIN3. For me, and this is just me, time is always of the essence to get things done. 1st- I want anything abnormal OUT ASAP 2nd- I mentally need to get it over with so that it's done and the waiting is over. So, I would push to get in as soon as possible even if it means rearranging some things in my work/ personal life. The BEST advice I can give though is to make sure that you NEVER miss an appointment. If they tell you to come back in 3 mos, be there in 3 mos. Call for results..don't wait for them. If they tell you they will be back in 1 week...don't assume "no news is good news"...call so that you can hear it for yourself.

Hope this helps. Gotta go...I still have crying to do because this situation is so heavy and so very frustrating but I've got to remind myself...It could be worse. Take care.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
    Gigi81
    (female)

Gigi81 HB User

Thanks for your reply. It's been 2 days since I heard my results from the colposcopy and I have called the doctor a few times, but they are the ones putting me on hold. Apparently they are having issues scheduling it themselves. I will call them again tomorrow to see if I can get an appt for the LEEP asap, or will look for another way to get the procedure done.
    The doctor was the one who said she would take a large part of my cervix, but she also said that she wanted to meet me for a consultation before the actual procedure to talk me through everything. Maybe then, she'll tell me exactly what she plans to do. I'm just so nervous and wish I could get this over with.

I appreciate your response to my post. I feel a little less worried than before. I just kept imagining that every minute that was passing, I am closer to having cancer and I'm really freaked out. I'm going to try to take care of this asap.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
    sharibrat
    (female)

sharibrat HB User

I just went through this myself, only I was able to move quite quickly.

A month ago I had my first abnormal pap and the colposcopy within a week of those results. I never had an abnormal one before and have gone every year. My biopsy came back at CIN III as well.

I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. My doctor wanted to do a LEEP/Cone surgery. Because mentally I cannot wait and also wanted it out of me, I scheduled that surgery for one week later. So all of this happened in 3 short weeks for me. I was a wreck that whole time with worry and anticipation - I had never had any surgery before and was scared about being put under too.

I had my surgery a week ago and am now awaiting my results and praying they are nothing worse than CIN III. I hope to hear today......but no call as of yet.

I too, hated the thought that something inside me could keep growing and possibly turn to cancer, so I scheduled things as quickly as I possibly could. They say cervical cancer is the slowest growing form of cancer, yet I was so freaked out by the fact that I went from normal paps to CIN III in one year.

Thinking of you and feeling your worry.....

Old 03-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
    Gigi81
    (female)

Gigi81 HB User

@ sharibrat:

Wow....How do you feel now after the LEEP? are you recovering ok?
    I am really feeling anxious about the procedure and I feel completely helpless at the moment. I finally heard back from the doctor, but she has scheduled me for april 27th!!! I kept asking them if I could have it sooner and they can't seem to find an opening for me. I really like my doctor, but would you recommend that I try to find someone else who can do it sooner? And I'm not sure if my insurance will cover this. The doctor/clinic that I'm with now covers everything, but I don't know how much it will be in the end if I decide to go somewhere else.

I'm so afraid something might really go wrong in the next 1.5 months!

Please let me know what your results are when you get them. I'm thinking of you!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
    sharibrat
    (female)

sharibrat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gigi81 View Post
    @ sharibrat:

Wow....How do you feel now after the LEEP? are you recovering ok?
    I am really feeling anxious about the procedure and I feel completely helpless at the moment. I finally heard back from the doctor, but she has scheduled me for april 27th!!! I kept asking them if I could have it sooner and they can't seem to find an opening for me. I really like my doctor, but would you recommend that I try to find someone else who can do it sooner? And I'm not sure if my insurance will cover this. The doctor/clinic that I'm with now covers everything, but I don't know how much it will be in the end if I decide to go somewhere else.

I'm so afraid something might really go wrong in the next 1.5 months!

Please let me know what your results are when you get them. I'm thinking of you!!!
    Since the LEEP I feel extremely relieved and less worried. I am still worried about getting the pathology report and can't really 'let my guard down' that it's 'all okay' until I hear that they got it all and that there was nothing invasive. But I feel so much calmer and less worried than I did the past 3 weeks with all the anxiety from anticipating the surgery and overall worry.

I never had surgery or general anesthesia in my life before and I was very very worried about that. I guess I didn't realize just how worried I was about it, and I guess that is why I feel so much calmer now. I am quite a worrier so the past few weeks my life just sort of came to a standstill leading up to the surgery.

The surgery itself? Easy. Painless. I got some good anxiety drugs before they wheeled me in and within 20 seconds (yes, that fast) I didn't care about a thing. I was completely under for surgery and was waking up within an hour of going in. I have had absolutely NO pain whatsoever. Not even a tinge of pain. I took it easy for 3-4 days and felt tired, but that's it.

I am having some bleeding off and on, but it could be my period. A week and a half before the surgery I decided to go off the pill for good. I think that sent my body into ovulation because I had cramps even before the surgery and then the day after. So now, two weeks later, this bleeding could very well be a period. Who knows.

Sorry to go on and on here. I will let you know my results and I will keep you in my prayers if that is okay. I know how the waiting game can mess with your mind. As for waiting or finding another doctor, I guess you have to know how you cope. For me, that would have been torture and I would have wasted those weeks of my life because I just don't cope well. If you are able to be distracted and keep busy, then waiting might not be so bad. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
    sharibrat
    (female)

sharibrat HB User

I got my results today! I can't believe the doctor called on a Saturday, but I am sure glad he did!

Well the LEEP biopsy came back BETTER than the colposcopy biopsy! The LEEP showed the entire sample to be Level I, MILD dysplasia, not the CIN III!!!! Margins were clear, he got it all and nothing up the cervical canal!

I am SO relieved today! Best of luck to you also, keep us posted!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
    Gigi81
    (female)

Gigi81 HB User

What a huge relief!!! I'm so happy for you. I really hope that your next Pap comes out normal and that you're done with this mess. I hope the same goes for me.

I don't feel comfortable waiting so long for my surgery. The doctor hasn't even called me yet to go over anything or to offer any support. I just realized that I know a few doctors I trust who might be able to give me names of some OBGYNs they trust. I really hate this waiting game.

Thanks for keeping me posted with your news. I'm thinking of you and praying for you as well.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
    ljs1
    (female)

ljs1 HB User

I had a LEEP in summer of 91. CIN 1. My Doctor did it the same week I was diagnosed on an outpatient basis. It took about 10-20 minutes. I had a second child in 1999, a few months of bedrest. I would not wait until April 27. Your insurance will let you know what to do to go to another Dr.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
    Gigi81
    (female)

Gigi81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljs1 View Post
    I had a LEEP in summer of 91. CIN 1. My Doctor did it the same week I was diagnosed on an outpatient basis. It took about 10-20 minutes. I had a second child in 1999, a few months of bedrest. I would not wait until April 27. Your insurance will let you know what to do to go to another Dr.
    I am currently looking for another doctor! I am less worried than I was last week when I first heard the news, but I think that's only because I have gotten over the initial shock and now I have a close group of friends and family who are very supportive.

Did you have your two children after the LEEP or just the second afterwards? And how was the pregnancy? Any complications? I ask this because I really want to have kids someday and it is my biggest fear that I may not be able to do so. Also, have you had dysplasia again or are you completely clear since your LEEP? I hope all is well and that you are healthy!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
    kmarincik
    (female)

kmarincik HB User

HI . I had a adnormal pap in Jan 2010, a week later I had a Bio (leep). My gyno told me the same thing. My Bio stated a high risk for cancer cells, she referred me to a gyno/oncologist. I had my first cone two weeks ago to remove tissue to find out what stage and how aggressive the cancer or cancer cells are...... my doctor assured me that if I wanted to have kids one day that the cone process might make it diffucult to get prego but many of women he has treated have gone one to have kid(s). He said it all depends on the tissue in or around your cervix and how it heals. He said that there is a stich they can add when women is prego that will support the damaged cervix from these cones surgeries. Other than that normal process for carrying.
    I am 31, no kids, he said it is up to me and my desire to have children. I am not sure if I will or will not have any in the future. I dont have the desire now but you never know what will happen in the future.......He said since I am not sure yet that he would like to go in and do another cone to gather more tissue. My doc did stress that he thinks a hyst would be the best thing since my tissue samples from my cone came back with skip legions, meaning the cancer runs on the top of the tissue at a certian spot but then goes down into the tissue below and then comes back up later on down the tissue. When a test is done on this area the results come back as no cancer in that area but in fact it is below. A Cone will take samples of the tissue to determine if the cancer cells are on top, or in the secondary tissue and how invasive or aggressive the cells are.
    he suggests that a hyst would prevent future spreading since it is a glandular cancer (Adenocarcinoma).........

I think waiting a mth is not going to harm but I would make it a point to maybe have your doc refer you to someone that can see you sooner like a gyno oncologist. Sooner the better?!?!

The Leep process for me was better than expected.... I read stories of pain during and after, camping, bleeding etc....... the doc will go in like a pap exam... they will apply this clear solution to your cervix which will allow the cancerous cells to appear..... now if they put the untencils for the procedure on the table in front of me like they did this will freak you out but believe I got myself all excited for something I thought was going to be so much more than it was.... the "cutting or samples" she took during this process did not hurt as I read, yea I felt something going on but no percing pain etc.... some mild cramping right after but several hrs afterwards I felt fine.
    As for the cone, you go in for day surgery and you are out for that process.... again I didnt have any bleeding or cramps after a day or two

Kelly

Old 03-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
    Gigi81
    (female)

Gigi81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmarincik View Post
    HI . I had a adnormal pap in Jan 2010, a week later I had a Bio (leep). My gyno told me the same thing. My Bio stated a high risk for cancer cells, she referred me to a gyno/oncologist. I had my first cone two weeks ago to remove tissue to find out what stage and how aggressive the cancer or cancer cells are...... my doctor assured me that if I wanted to have kids one day that the cone process might make it diffucult to get prego but many of women he has treated have gone one to have kid(s). He said it all depends on the tissue in or around your cervix and how it heals. He said that there is a stich they can add when women is prego that will support the damaged cervix from these cones surgeries. Other than that normal process for carrying.
    I am 31, no kids, he said it is up to me and my desire to have children. I am not sure if I will or will not have any in the future. I dont have the desire now but you never know what will happen in the future.......He said since I am not sure yet that he would like to go in and do another cone to gather more tissue. My doc did stress that he thinks a hyst would be the best thing since my tissue samples from my cone came back with skip legions, meaning the cancer runs on the top of the tissue at a certian spot but then goes down into the tissue below and then comes back up later on down the tissue. When a test is done on this area the results come back as no cancer in that area but in fact it is below. A Cone will take samples of the tissue to determine if the cancer cells are on top, or in the secondary tissue and how invasive or aggressive the cells are.
    he suggests that a hyst would prevent future spreading since it is a glandular cancer (Adenocarcinoma).........

I think waiting a mth is not going to harm but I would make it a point to maybe have your doc refer you to someone that can see you sooner like a gyno oncologist. Sooner the better?!?!

The Leep process for me was better than expected.... I read stories of pain during and after, camping, bleeding etc....... the doc will go in like a pap exam... they will apply this clear solution to your cervix which will allow the cancerous cells to appear..... now if they put the untencils for the procedure on the table in front of me like they did this will freak you out but believe I got myself all excited for something I thought was going to be so much more than it was.... the "cutting or samples" she took during this process did not hurt as I read, yea I felt something going on but no percing pain etc.... some mild cramping right after but several hrs afterwards I felt fine.
    As for the cone, you go in for day surgery and you are out for that process.... again I didnt have any bleeding or cramps after a day or two

Kelly
    So, you've gotten the results back from the cone and now you have to go back for more? Are you considering a hyst? I really don't want it to come to that because I wants kids so badly. I'm only 28 and it's been my dream to have a family of my own.

I just got in touch with my PCP and she is pretty upset that the doctor she referred to me was so lax on the surgery. She's checking up on some other gyno-oncologists to see if there is anyone who can see me sooner. I am really hoping to get this done this month!! Or even a week sooner than what was originally scheduled. I also believe the sooner the better! This has completely consumed my life and I just need to know one way or the other what is happening in my body.

I'm glad that you're recovering ok from the LEEP/cone...Please let me know what you decide to do. I'm thinking of you.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

Even though you've already gotten some good advice, I thought I would chime in with my experience. I had my LEEP almost a year ago to the day. I was EXTREMELY nervous about the procedure. I had been going through abnormal paps and colposcopies for almost two years at that point and after the last colpo confirmed CIN III (the paps had ranged from ASCUS to ASC-H and the first colpo was only CIN I) she scheduled me for a LEEP two weeks later.

Well, I was pretty much hysterical during those two weeks, crying every night, not eating, etc. The doctor gave me some wonderful anti anxiety meds for the big day since I was going to be awake during the procudure (no general). I must echo the other posters here that the procedure was 100% better than I had anticipated. The anti anxiety meds had really relaxed me, which made the procedure easier on me and the doctor. I found the LEEP much easier and less painful than my prior colpos. I would say that most people would be able to tolerate this procedure without going under a general (if I could, ANYONE can!)

My advice on when you should go in, I would recommend the sooner the better only for your own mental state. Cervical cancer rarely progresses quickly and a month is nothing for a cancer that generally takes 10 years or more to progress from CIN III to cancer (something my doctor told me). That is why most women who are diagnosed with cervical cancer are in their 40's-50's - because they most likely contracted HPV in their younger days (20's-30's) and it takes that long to progress to cancer. ANYWHO, if your doctor is helping you find a new gyno, then it sounds like you're already headed in the right direction. Best of luck to you!

p.s. Since my LEEP, both of my follow up paps since have come back normal, knock on wood.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
    Gigi81
    (female)

Gigi81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oldfashiongirl View Post
    Even though you've already gotten some good advice, I thought I would chime in with my experience. I had my LEEP almost a year ago to the day. I was EXTREMELY nervous about the procedure. I had been going through abnormal paps and colposcopies for almost two years at that point and after the last colpo confirmed CIN III (the paps had ranged from ASCUS to ASC-H and the first colpo was only CIN I) she scheduled me for a LEEP two weeks later.

Well, I was pretty much hysterical during those two weeks, crying every night, not eating, etc. The doctor gave me some wonderful anti anxiety meds for the big day since I was going to be awake during the procudure (no general). I must echo the other posters here that the procedure was 100% better than I had anticipated. The anti anxiety meds had really relaxed me, which made the procedure easier on me and the doctor. I found the LEEP much easier and less painful than my prior colpos. I would say that most people would be able to tolerate this procedure without going under a general (if I could, ANYONE can!)

My advice on when you should go in, I would recommend the sooner the better only for your own mental state. Cervical cancer rarely progresses quickly and a month is nothing for a cancer that generally takes 10 years or more to progress from CIN III to cancer (something my doctor told me). That is why most women who are diagnosed with cervical cancer are in their 40's-50's - because they most likely contracted HPV in their younger days (20's-30's) and it takes that long to progress to cancer. ANYWHO, if your doctor is helping you find a new gyno, then it sounds like you're already headed in the right direction. Best of luck to you!

p.s. Since my LEEP, both of my follow up paps since have come back normal, knock on wood.
    Thanks so much. I actually feel a lot better reading yours and the others' posts. I'm so relieved to have this support!

It was really nice to talk to my PCP and have her voice the same concerns as I had about waiting so long. The only trouble is that I have to check with my insurance to see which providers I can go to. That makes it more complicated, but at least now I feel like I have someone on my side.
    I'm going to wait a couple more days to see if my PCP can speed things up and if not, I will start to call doctors on my own.

Now that I have read all of the posts, I feel less anxious about the actual procedure. I just to get it done and find out what's really going on in my body!

Oldfashiongirl, if I may ask, do you have kids? Do you plan to now that you're in the clear? That's my main concern.

Thanks! And I hope you continue to be healthy!!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #15
    Gigi81
    (female)

Gigi81 HB User

I just got a call from my Dr....my surgery has been moved up to next Tuesday!! This is a full 5 weeks ahead of the orig. surgery date. I am so relieved! I just hope all goes well now.

Closed Thread