It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• recovery after laser ablation to cervix- who's been there before?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
    weatherwax80
    (female)

weatherwax80 HB User
    recovery after laser ablation to cervix- who's been there before?

Hi all

After reading through the posts I'm clearly not the only one who had a near heart attack when I was told I had an abnormal pap smear late last year. After a colposcopy and, another pap smear and 2 biopsies, CIN 3 cells were confirmed. Fortunately they were localised, easy accessible (aside from being on my cervix!) and only in a smallish area.

I was put on the waiting list for laser ablation- was assured I would be treated within 90 days. Sure enough, day 90, booked in for laser ablation. This was on Friday just gone.

So the worst thing about it was the IV- I've had very little pain associated with the op itself - which should be good news to anyone out there wondering how painful it is- not that I expect I'm the yardstick to measure everyone's experience by, but childless women like me are supposed to have more pain than anyone else with this procedure. I'm surprised at just HOW well I'm doing. No bleeding at all, zero.

Which leads me to question one- if I'm not bleeding by today, Day 3, is it possible I'll escape without any bleeding at all?

And on an unavoidably gross note (sorry) can anyone who's been here before tell me what is with the chunks of skin?! I don't even know if it is skin or some sort of weird tissue healing substance but I am producing a fair bit of it. I wouldn't have thought I had that much in me!!! Ick. I was told to expect discharge but this is solid tissue, I would expect discharge to be liquid.

I have scoured the net and can't really find any info to help me know if I'm recovering normally, so any ladies who've been through the healing process of a laser ablation please let me know what your experience was, and how long you took to recover. I'd ask my gyno but she's in Fiji for another 2 weeks (of course..)

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to weatherwax80 For This Useful Post:
    Blessed8 (09-11-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
    BE 123
    (female)

BE 123 HB User
    Re: recovery after laser ablation to cervix- who's been there before?

Hi! Please look through some of my old posts. I had a "modified" laser ablation. It was a very easy 15-minute office procedure. Per my request, only local anesthesia was used. I did not start bleeding until about days 7-10, and at times, it was like a moderate period. My out-of-town laser doc said that was not normal and I should be fully healed by 2 weeks (he's done laser plenty of times and doesn't LEEP cervices), so I followed up with an ARNP in my hometown, got antibiotics and was fine. I question whether antibiotics were really needed or if I was just a slow healer, but I didn't want to take any chances.

In retrospect, I really wish I'd had a LEEP. Laser is fine and preserves more of your cervix but at the risk of missing and/or not removing all disease; after all my research, excision is still safer.

I don't know about the chunks of skin, but Lily and I and definitely others whose names I can't recall have experienced this. It's unnerving. I don't think I want to know exactly what it is.

Hope your procedure eliminates all hpv problems forever.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

What color are these chunks?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
    weatherwax80
    (female)

weatherwax80 HB User

Hi, the colour is mottleed, skin colour almost translucent in places and dark brown like old blood in others. It looks exactly like I'd expect lasered skin to look.

The mystery of why there's so much has been solved and now I really need some reassurance. I was told last night by my gyno's office that during my 3 month wait the abnormal cells had radically advanced. What was a small area had become quite large. They have raised the possibility of a hysterectomy if at my 4 month check up all the cells haven't gone due to the aggressivenes of the cells spread.

I'm 30- I want children but haven't had any yet. My partner and I have only recently moved in together and we're not ready for a family yet. I feel like my chance to have children may well be taken from me. I'm sure you can imagine my anguish.

It all seems so unfair. I've only been in three sexual relationships, all of them monogamous. I don't smoke, I excercise, I eat well, I drink in moderation, I should be a low risk person but here I am with aggressive CIN 3. I'm so utterly miserable right now.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
    weatherwax80
    (female)

weatherwax80 HB User

Sorry for posting such an emotional and negative reply earlier, hope I haven't scared anyone reading about my experience who was out for information and reassurance like I was when I first joined this (very helpful) site. Note to self- don't post when emotional!

Encouragement and positive stories of beating this hellish affliction would be warmly received. Not that I want to bury my head in the sand, I'm just trying to reduce my sky rocketing stress levels.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weatherwax80 View Post
    Note to self- don't post when emotional!
    ((((hugs))))) We've all done that, I think. Treatment for high risk HPV (and dysplasia and/or cancer) is a highly emotional time. We totally understand the emotions that are tied with this time in your life!

I didn't have the same diagnosis or treatment or you, but I'll share my story as briefly as I can.

I've been with my husband (monogamously) for 18 years. I have had an annual pap, every year for 25 years. I've never had a bad pap. About 2.5 years ago, my GP asked if I wanted the HPV/dna test along with my pap. I said yes. My pap came back fine, as usual. The HPV/dna test came back positive for high risk HPV. I went to a Gyn after a few months who did a colpo and an ECC; everything on my external cervix looked fine so she checked the canal "just to see." Thank God she did! It came back adenocarcinoma in situ. Two weeks later I had a cold knife cone biopsy. It came back adenocarcinoma Ia1. Two weeks later I was at my gyn/onc's office. She told me I'd need a hyst (no children, and at 45 I wasn't looking to start a family) within the next 6 months or so. I had my hyst 2 months later.

I'll be 2 years cancer free in June. I've already been released from my gyn/onc!

Diagnosis and treatment was hell. Two years later, I think of it every day, but now it is more focused on how blessed I was for the cancer to be found so early!

(((((hugs))))))) Early detection and treatment are the key to nipping this in the bud! You are on the right track!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weatherwax80 View Post
    They have raised the possibility of a hysterectomy if at my 4 month check up all the cells haven't gone due to the aggressivenes of the cells spread.

I'm 30- I want children but haven't had any yet. My partner and I have only recently moved in together and we're not ready for a family yet. I feel like my chance to have children may well be taken from me. I'm sure you can imagine my anguish.
    Hi there -- sorry to hear you are going through this.

I had Stage 1a2/1b1 cervical adenocarcinoma (so, invasive cancer) diagnosed in Jan '09, and was luckily able to have a trachelectomy (near complete cervix removal only) instead of a hysterectomy -- meaning I can still have children. So, while I totally understand how you are feeling, hopefully it will make you feel a little better to know that there are other treatment options available to you at this early stage. Hopefully everything will come back clear at your next follow up and you won't have to worry about further treatment, but I figured I'd let you know about this anyway. A lot of docs don't even bring it up as an option, so make sure you mention the desire for retaining fertility before making any decisions!!!

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
    weatherwax80
    (female)

weatherwax80 HB User

Pickle Eyes, thanks so much for your supportive words and your reassurance that you are fine. I'm so sorry to hear it's been a long road for you and really happy you have been cancer free for 2 years! Fingers toes eyes arms and legs crossed it stays that way

Zoe96- if you were here right now I'd bear hug you- your message has given me such hope. A huge cloud has lifted! I'd never heard of a trachelectomy before (clearly) and knowing there's an option out there that can fight this illness AND preserve my ability to have children, well, you're an angel that's all I can say.

Thanks so much for your support and encouragement ladies, thanks goodness for this forum because it seems doctors don't have advice half as good or as well informed as you who have been through your own journeys.

May we all come out the other side whole and stronger for this.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

You are SO welcome!! Even a lot of gyn's won't bring up (or even know about) trachelectomies. When I was first diagnosed I was determined that I was not going to have a hyst. My gyn had done my CKC and diagnosed the cancer, but it was me who found out about the trachs and brought it up first thing with the oncologist I saw. The procedure is still not very common in the US (although it's been done in France since 1994), but there are more and more docs who now perform it. Depending on where you live though, it may take a little research to find a doc, but hang in there, because there are definitely plenty of them out there doing it!

Now, let's hope you never get to the point of needing ANY more surgeries....but I'm glad that I was able to brighten your day a bit. You definitely have options!!!

((hugs))

Old 05-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
    weatherwax80
    (female)

weatherwax80 HB User
    Cool Re: recovery after laser ablation to cervix- who's been there before?

Thanks Zoe96! I have been breathing much easier since your message the other day. I've also switched gyno's- am now seeing a gyn-oncologist who's reputed to be one of the best in my state. Feel like I'm in good hands! He's aware of my history and diagnosis and doesn't want to see me until Oct this year, which he reassures me is a good sign as he'd want to see me earlier if he was concerned.

Now- back to my original topic which was healing after laser ablation. I thought I'd keep posting in as un-gory a manner as possible, although that's a tough call considering the subject. I don't want to offend anyone so if you'd rather not read about bleeding/discharge and scabs don't read further!

It's now day 10 post surgery, and according to my doc I am healing very well. The first few days (as you all know) I shed some tissue/skin. There was a teensy bit of brown spotting, very occasionally, but for the first few days other than that and the tissue loss, I wondered if anything was going to happen.

Around day 4 I started to need to wear panty liners, as I had a yellow coloured almost watery discharge- not heavy at all, but enough I needed to change panty liners every 3-4 hours. This got a little thicker around day 8 and I also noticed some spotting beginning.

Day 9 and Day 10 I have noticed the scab must be falling off, as I've shed some pieces of it and the bleeding has increased to needing to wear pads as opposed to panty liners. It's still very light bleeding though, and I hope it will stay that way! The bleeding has been accompanied by a thicker yellowish discharge also.

There has been no foul smell at any point- foul as in something is wrong or not healing well foul that is. I can always detect a faint odour of blood, but it is not offensive.

By now I'm just a bit tired of it all and over the constant reminder that I'm NQR (not quite right) every time I have to change a pad or notice a new development in the healing process. Looking forward to having a healed lady garden so I can move on psychologically with more ease.

I've also tweaked my lifestyle- eliminated stress as much as possible, eating super healthy, taking immune boosting supplements, cut out alcohol, seeing a Chinese herbologist renowned for helping women like us and exercising every single day. Doing everything I can to get my immune system firing so if this surgery has worked, I'm in brilliant shape to ward off re-occurrences.

If my symptoms change again I'll post another update. So far, so good.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
    weatherwax80
    (female)

weatherwax80 HB User

Day 13 and I think I'm almost healed. Any bleeding I had was confined to day 9 and 10 only, certainly there was no heavy bleeding like I've read about in other posts for LEEP's.

Since day 11 it's just been minimal pale yellow discharge (according to my doctor this is a positive thing and is a sign the body is healing well) and it no longer has any odour.

The laser all in all has been very easy to recover from and a positive experience in terms of healing time and recovery.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:38 AM   #12
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

Yay, glad to hear you are on the mend

Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
    2jailskj88
    (female)

2jailskj88 HB User

.... Wish my recovery was half this good.

Had cervical laser ablation on 11-9-11 as an outpatient., Actual procedure took about 15 minutes. No cramping, no bleeding afterwards. Very next day on Thursday the 10th, I got my period as expected. That lasted until the morning of Wednesday the 16th. For 2 days I had slightly blood tinged watery discharge, and some chunks here and there with the most god awful smell.. Drs. Said this was normal, no need to worry. The evening of Friday the 18th the discharge turned to bright red blood and small clots. Drs said this to was normal. Dealt with it a weekend and decided to call back on Monday the 20th, still telling me it was normal, not to worry. Well, on Tuesday the 21st after showering I was bleeding so heavily that I filled a bath towel, it was everywhere I walked and I had 2 rags between me to go to the ER. My obgyn is out on vaca. Until the 28th and his on call Dr. Said it was okay and my blood count was okay so he didnt care to come see me. I was soaking pads I'm the er and also the bed pad. But they were still sending me home. The RN that was on duty was very upset and suggested I go to another hospital. So I did. Atleast there the Dr gave me a pelvic exam. He opened me up and it was like world war 4 in that room. The blood and clots ran everywhere. He spent 15 minutes cleaning me out and the smell was so horrid. He was very very upset about that hospital sending me away like that. It seems the bleeding has slowed after a night of rest. Hopefully thanks to the Dr for cleaning me out it helps.

Has anyone else experienced this type of recovery?!!

Closed Thread