It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• To leep or not?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
    Jaxx
    (female)

Jaxx HB User
    To leep or not?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this message board and NEED to vent I think!

I am 34 yrs old and the last 2 months have been tough. I went from being pregnant with baby #3 - in December to having a miscarriage mid Jan and told that my pap was abnormal with CIN3/HGSIL. I have my colposcopy a couple of weeks ago and the results came back High Grade...I was scheduled for a LEEP/Cone Biopsy tomorrow but my period started today (which I had told the staff but they told me that I would be irregular after the miscarriage) so I had to reschedule but the receptionist says the earliest date is a month from today (which of course is when my period should show up again.) I thought I was doing well- but today I felt like I was going to LOOSE it.

I'm so angry with the staff at my doctor's office- they are totally dismissive and honestly I didn't care UNTIL today. I haven't had the time to even think about my miscarriage because I've been focused on thee CIN3 Diagnosis--

All I want to do is get it over with so that I can move on...but it seems like I'm going to have to wait a month (actually a bit longer because of my cycle) at this point I feel like by the time I have the LEEP it will have been 3 months since my pap results. It doesn't seem very urgent and had it not been for the miscarriage I would have had to wait until August for a colposcopy.

So I'm contemplating NOT getting the LEEP at all and just getting another pap in 3 months. Has anyone heard of alternative treatments to the LEEP? Or of anyone refusing to get a LEEP?

Normally I'm all about following the orders BUT seriously it can't be that URGENT... I know it sounds stupid/ignorant and I should just schedule the LEEP but I can't help but think maybe I shouldn't do it and just move on and whatever have with the next pap deal with it then?? Any thoughts?

Again I know it sounds bad but it's so frustrating to not be able to move forward...

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaxx For This Useful Post:
    lrc2012 (11-27-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
    Re: To leep or not?

It is that urgent.
    It's one step down from invasive cancer, and it's highly unlikely to regress without treatment.
    You absolutely must get this dealt with as soon as possible.
    I'm sorry to sound abrupt, but you mustn't even consider "waiting" when it's CIN3.
    Very important to get this treated immediately.
    I'm sorry about your miscarriage. But your life is the most important thing.
    You must ensure that you're alive to take care of your other children.

Please take care of this as soon as possible.
    Watching and waiting is not appropriate in this situation. You have to treat this aggressively to ensure that it doesn't progress.

Best wishes.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
    Jaxx
    (female)

Jaxx HB User

Thanks Kali333-- I know you are right---and yes I need a swift kick in butt.....and I know I was being irrational yesterday....

So... the LEEP has been postponed until the 2nd week in March due to scheduling and my cycle... This is so frustrating.

In one year I went from a normal pap to abnormal to CIN3 results from a colposcopy by the time they do the LEEP it will have been 3 months since the pap... what are the chances that waiting another 6 weeks to get the LEEP done will put me at bad LEEP results??

I asked to get 2 appts one week apart just in case I get my period again but they won't do that- so if I get my period again they said they will post-pone for 2-3 weeks out per their scheduling... I guess I'm just wondering WHY they don't seem to think pushing back dates is a problem?

This is where I become irrational and start to think fine then I'll move forward with my original plan with baby#3 and they can have my uterus with a bow on top.... I know I know.... I won't do that I'll just wait and hope for the best..

Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
    curly fry
    Veteran
    (female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

I would suggest getting a copy of your records (if you don't already have it), talk to some of your girlfriends about a good OBGYN (don't have to get specific if you don't want to), and just switch practices. That is so insensitive of them to not work with your schedule. I know it's easy to just say 'screw this'. But you can't! It's your life and your body.

I switched OBGYNs just because the nurse gave me wrong results after reading someone elses file!!! I was like, WHAT?! Then she's like 'oh sorry, wrong chart'. I already had enough mental stress and I can't deal with a slip like that with a situation that is so delicate to me!

Good luck with everything.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

^ I had a strange experience about a month ago, after my latest PAP.
    A nurse called me on a Thursday and left a message that my results were normal.
    I was surprised they'd gotten my results so fast- it had been less than a week since my PAP.
    The following Tuesday, a different nurse called and left another message that my PAP results were normal.
    I was confused, so I called the office and asked them why they were calling me again to tell me this, when they already told me the previous Thursday.
    The nurse said, "That's not possible. We just got your results in today."

I never did figure it out, but can only assume the first call was in error, and that they'd meant to call someone else.
    Very strange. It made me a little distrustful of my gyno's office. I get the feeling they're not very organized!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
    Jaxx
    (female)

Jaxx HB User

So turns out the doc didn't want to postpone and had them reshedule me for sooner.. Looks like I'll be going in a week and half. Thanks for the support!

-BTW- My husband think I should switch docs after this.... but I love the doc it's the staff..although I did get 2 apology calls.. who knows... either way I'm less stressed now.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jaxx:
    Kali333 (02-12-2011)
    Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
    curly fry
    Veteran
    (female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

Happy it all worked out!!! If you like your doctor and feel comfortable, then you should stay. This is such a touchy and personal matter (i know at least it is for me!) that it may not be worth to try and find a new doctor who you will feel comfortable with. And now you know how to deal with the staff so don't let them get to you!!!

I just found out I need a LEEP and my head is spinning!!! I went from 4 years of normal paps to an abnormal pap, to a colposcopy, to grade 2 (CIN2) in less than a month! Well, it didn't all progress in a month, but the information came (is still) pouring in faster than I can keep up with! Not to mention, my doctor's office has gotten more 'lucky' than some of my past boyfriends if you know what I mean! And it seems like they are going to keep getting 'lucky'... getting tired of all the probing!! But this is our next step so we just have to be brave and do it. And at least you have some family support. That always helps I'm sure. Good luck to all of us.

Closed Thread