It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• biopsy / leep / really really scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
    xandra128
    (female)

xandra128 HB User
    Unhappy biopsy / leep / really really scared

Hi, kids. I'm 24. Just back from my first colposcopy. My pap indicated CINIII, and my doctor said he's pretty sure that's accurate & he didn't see anything worse today. He took two biopsies & an ECC today, and he said he'll most likely recommend a LEEP after we get the results back.

I came back to work and started reading message boards. Productive, right? Y'all's posts are great, but I have a few (lots) of questions/concerns....

Should I look for a new doctor?
    My doctor was 50 minutes late for my coloscopy today. I'm really not especially comfortable with him. I wonder if I should look for someone else to take it from this point or if I should just put my head down, power through & let him do his thing. He has great reviews everywhere online, but I just haven't really enjoyed our interactions. Would it be too much of a pain or delay things at this point if I wanted to find another doctor, and if so, how do I even go about that? Do I schedule my own LEEP with another doctor? That just seems strange to me. I may have asked him some of these other questions if I'd felt up to it. Alas....

What do biopsy test results sound like?
    Today it sounded like they'll call me back & jut say, "Yeah, we're pretty sure this is CINIII, now lets schedule your LEEP." Is that how that phone call will go? Should I ask anything else about the results? Technically, what do I need to know about the results & what happens from here?

How will the procedure go?
    I've read a lot about this, and this is honestly the least of my worries. I have a pretty okay pain threshold. I am a big freaker-outer/worrier. In y'all's experience has any kind of pre-LEEP medication like Valium been worth it? If I'm super freaked out is it worth being put completely under for? If I decide to just go with the local anesthesia, should I have someone there with me? My mom has already said she really wants to go, but I think I'd rather it be my boyfriend if anyone. I feel like I can handle this by myself. The boy hasn't offered yet, but we'll see. Did y'all go alone or not? What should I do?

It's gonna suck afterwords, right?
    I feel like I've read enough about this. I'll be bummed to deal with the bleeding/discharge/cramps & not to be able to have sex, exercise or take a bath for A MONTH. I love all of those things. Any ideas to make myself feel better about it are much appreciated.

What do LEEP results mean?
    I understand that they send whatever cells/tissue they collect to be tested again, but does this really matter if the point of the LEEP is to REMOVE it? What do these results indicate other than what WAS wrong before the LEEP? The only action after that is a post-op visit & regular paps, right?

Is there anything else I'm missing or anything else I should know? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks, ladies.

The following user gives a hug of support to xandra128:
    Jessicat223 (03-30-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
    Re: biopsy / leep / really really scared

My advice is only advice; you'll do whatever feels right to you.
    But since you're asking, my advice is this: stick with the doctor you already have, unless he's grossly offended you in some way. CIN-III is one tiny step away from cervical cancer, and you absolutely do not have time to screw around. Don't let this go another month while you locate a new doctor and then go through the preliminary stuff all over again. Get your LEEP and get that CIN out of there before it progresses to cervical cancer.

Item 2- LEEP results. Well, the object here is to get clear margins. Hopefully, if they remove a large enough chunk of tissue, then when they send it to a lab and look at it under a microscope, they'll be able to tell whether they got all of the bad stuff out by whether the margins of the removed sample are "clear", ie. comprised of healthy tissue.
    A LEEP is a dual purpose procedure: one function of it is to stage your disease by seeing how deep into the cervical tissue it has progressed. The other function, if you're lucky, is to cure the problem by removing all of the diseased tissue. Then you'll be fine; your CIN will be gone, your cervix will be healthy, and you won't have to worry about cancer anymore.
    Unfortunately, in some cases, clear margins are not able to be obtained by LEEP, and so another procedure- perhaps a cone biopsy or a second, more extensive LEEP, will have to be scheduled.
    But they won't really know until they do the first LEEP, see how deeply the CIN has invaded your tissue, and see if they're able to get clear margins (in other words, remove it all).

As for your other questions, I've never had a LEEP but I've heard the procedure itself is really not that bad, and neither is the recovery period.
    Good luck, and I hope you get clear margins. If you don't, it's not the end of the world- it just means you need another procedure, hopefully just one more.
    The main thing I want to stress to you here is that time is of the essence. If your doctor suspected CIN1 or CIN2, I'd say, yeah: go ahead and look for a doctor more to your liking. You've got time.
    But the fact is, if your doctor believes you have CIN3, then your case is already well advanced, and you must arrest its progress as soon as possible. There is no time to waste. That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Best of luck to you. Post and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Kali333; 03-30-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
    xandra128
    (female)

xandra128 HB User

Thanks. I think I'll be searching around for another doctor after this is all "over," for sure. I do trust his skill based on the reviews & what my family practice doctor has said about him. It's just annoying to have to deal with his terrible bedside manner.
    After your reply and more reading, I understand the margins & the LEEP results better now.

Still looking for advice about the actual procedure AND what I should expect to hear/ask when I'm called with biopsy results.

I hate the waiting. =[

The following user gives a hug of support to xandra128:
    Kali333 (03-31-2011)
    Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
    luvbug412
    Veteran
    (female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

I had a LEEP done in Feb of 2009. Some things hopefully to ease your worry:

How will the procedure go?
    I had mine done at the hospital and actually I ended up making myself a nervous wreck and felt more queasy and shaky on my legs AFTER the procedure than before. I had local anesthetic and outside of that I didn't/couldn't feel anything. Yes it felt weird but I had a relatively large piece of my cervix cut away because of multiple points of AIS found during the colpo.

I didn't take valium before (and I am a dentist wimp - I was able to handle this better than going to the dentist office!). If you are super freaked out - it can't hurt, but really if you have an ok pain threshold you will be fine. I was alone for the LEEP but two really awesome nurses who took care of me and my ob/gyn. Seriously 5-10 min its all over.

As for "sucking" afterwords. My bleeding and discharge lasted for about two weeks but had no cramps. You have to make sure that you let the area heal - that is why its no no for baths and sex. I was told that I could exercise lightly if the bleeding wasn't to bad and I felt up to it.

With LEEP results - you want clear margins. With mine I had clear margins but my diagnosis was non-invasive AIS.

As to follow-up. I am at that point now. I changed ob/gyns after my LEEP and first followup pap because while his bedside manner was actually pretty good, I wasn't getting the whole picture when it came to biopsy and pap results. After I started getting copies of all of the labs, I managed to put the big picture together. I understand that medicine is by far an absolute science, and I went from normal paps for 14 yrs to ASCUS/AIS in one year. He didn't give the abnormalities a name, but after I got my med records, that is when I found out the diagnosis. I switched to a highly recommended ob/gyn (older woman) who I now absolutely ADORE. Her bedside manner is amazing and its because I am high risk and have been treated before that she wants to leave nothing left to doubt in case the most recent pap missed anything.

I had paps done every 4 months for the first year and they were all clear. Switched to six months last year (had two) and they were both clearly. Had my yearly two weeks ago and while it came back normal, the HPV test came back positive for the same strain that was found two years ago.

I go back for a followup colpo on the 13th of the month. Am I a bit nervous, you bet... but I'll take it as it comes along.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
    I had paps done every 4 months for the first year and they were all clear. Switched to six months last year (had two) and they were both clearly. Had my yearly two weeks ago and while it came back normal, the HPV test came back positive for the same strain that was found two years ago.

I go back for a followup colpo on the 13th of the month. Am I a bit nervous, you bet... but I'll take it as it comes along.
    I was "a bit nervous" for YEARS after my CIN diagnosis and cryo... but I never had another abnormal PAP, and now, after 22 years, I am no longer "nervous" about getting PAPs. Especially since, at my age (over 35) they now test for HPV also, and I'm negative.

Believe me, a day will come when you will no longer be afraid of it coming back.
    For me, that day was a long time coming, though.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
    luvbug412
    Veteran
    (female)

luvbug412 HB Userluvbug412 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
    I was "a bit nervous" for YEARS after my CIN diagnosis and cryo... but I never had another abnormal PAP, and now, after 22 years, I am no longer "nervous" about getting PAPs. Especially since, at my age (over 35) they now test for HPV also, and I'm negative.

Believe me, a day will come when you will no longer be afraid of it coming back.
    For me, that day was a long time coming, though.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Kali. My ob/gyn didn't bother testing for HPV until I came back with abnormal results at 33, so it is why I'm taking a little aback and slightly shocked that after 3 yrs of having normal paps/negative HPV, it has come back to haunt me. I can only hope that my colpo is clean.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
    xandra128
    (female)

xandra128 HB User

UPDATE on meeeee! I just got my biopsy results. I had to call my doctor's office a MILLION times to get someone to talk to me & tell me what's up, and I'm not good at that, but I was a total BA & got it done.

My biopsy & ecc both only showed MODERATE dysplasia, which sounds so much better than what my doctor initially told me. The nurse I [finally] talked to was amazing & so helpful. I told her about my issues with my doctor, and she offered to do whatever she could & reminded me that I'm never "stuck". Like I said, I'll be switching doctors after this is over FOR SURE...

I'm waiting for the scheduler at the office to hear back from the anesthesiologist so I can schedule my LEEP, but I already feel so much better about it. I feel like things are moving forward, and I know I'm gonna be fine in the end.

Thank you all for your responses. I'll keep in touch & let you know how things go. Hopefully I'll be a good resource to others when this is over as well. =]

Closed Thread