It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Atypical Glandular Cells & Nothing Wrong???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
    mbrooks23
    (female)

mbrooks23 HB User
    Unhappy Atypical Glandular Cells & Nothing Wrong???

I am so confused.... For the first time in over 20 some odd years I had an abnormal pap. I have had no indications that anything has been wrong and was even told last year that I didn't need to come in for yearly paps any more, but decided it was still a good idea. And my pap came back with Atypical Glandular Cells this year. I was sick to my stomach and had to go in for a colposcopy and biopsies. The results came back this morning and now my gyn says that all is fine and to just come back in 6 months for another pap?!?!? After all the reading I have done I can't help but still be concerned. It seems the glandular cells aren't something that I simply want to just be passive about. I don't really want to be unthankful for my biopsies coming back ok, but I am still really worried. Any words of advise/wisdom out there?? I would be most grateful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
    33kat
    (female)

33kat HB User33kat HB User
    Re: Atypical Glandular Cells & Nothing Wrong???

That is pretty much what happened to me. The pathologist was satisfied that the atypical cells were the result of some inflammation and that there was no problem. I had one spot on the cervix biopsied as well as an ECC and an endometrial biopsy, as the glandular cells are found in the endocervix and endometrium. I was completely freaked out before I got the results and it took a while before I was able to let it go at all. Now, I'm just not thinking about it until next time. I know I will be stressing the results of my next pap like I never have before, but I just can't let it bother me before then.

I hope you can feel better about it quickly!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
    mbrooks23
    (female)

mbrooks23 HB User

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. At the recommendation of several, I have asked for a referral for a second opinion just to be on the safe side because of the fact that the problem is with Glandular Cells rather than Squamous (sp?), which from what I have learned can be rather tricky to deal with. At this point, my doctor didn't do an ECC and only did a colposcopy and biopsy. When my pap came back and I met with her about the results she scared me half to death, then when I went for the colp and biopsy she seemed very passive and somewhat contradicted what she said when we met about the results. I don't think she meant too, but I don't think it follows suite to what I've learned that many gynos don't know a lot about the glandular level of abnormal pap results since they don't get them often.

Keeping many positive thoughts for you in my heart!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
    33kat
    (female)

33kat HB User33kat HB User

I'm glad you are getting a second opinion! If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't have been comfortable without having an ECC. I made sure my doc was doing an ECC when I went in for the colposcopy. With just the little research I did, I know I wouldn't have been satisfied not having those cells tested. I'm glad we did the endometrial biopsy too, even though we did it for another problem, knowing that there was no problem there was a relief too.

Closed Thread