It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• complex ovarian cyst

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
    Twixt
    (female)

Twixt HB UserTwixt HB User
    complex ovarian cyst

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum. I recently woke up with really bad abdominal pain, and shortly after I suddenly felt nauseous and threw up a few times. I started to feel better, but went to the ER anyway, just in case.

Anyway, it looks like I've got two ovarian cysts (both on the same side). The first is "simple thin walled anechoic", and the second is "complex with internal echoes and thin avascular septations". There's apparently also "trace free fluid" seen in Rt adnexa. The complex cyst is apparently around 3.5cm.

They want me to go back in a couple of months for a repeat US to see if it's still there. The description of that second cyst has me a little worried, and I was wondering if anyone out there knows how worrisome this description is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
    Twixt
    (female)

Re: complex ovarian cyst

...anyone?

And I know, the worst thing to do is start looking things up online, but of course it's impossible to resist the urge. And this of course has me feeling more nervous, and I hate that I have to wait two months for the follow-up ultrasound. I know that with time, I'll get more used to the waiting part, but it's still early days and this is still very much on my mind.

A little more info: I'm not in a high-risk age group for ovarian cancer (I'm young - in my early thirties), but I've never been on the pill, have never taken fertility drugs/treatments, and have never had any children. I've also had really low ferritin - not sure if there's any connection there at all. I'd been taking iron supplements for about 3 months and stopped taking them about a week before my trip to the ER. I had just had a blood test to recheck my iron and am still waiting to hear back about that.

Also, apparently my RDW is low. I don't really know what this means, or if it's related at all to these other things.

I've also had some GI issues that others have posted about in this forum (ie: gas, bloating, etc).

I've also been losing weight for some time now. Part of that could be because I've become pretty active over the past while, and I also started eating healthier a few months ago. The thing is, though, that I hit my "ideal weight" about a month ago, and I still seem to be losing weight (nothing drastic, but it does seem to be continuing).

I also do get full pretty quickly, and this has seemed more pronounced lately, but I hadn't thought much of that till I started reading up symptoms on the internet (I know, I know, not the best thing to do).

Ok, well I guess that's about it for now.

I'm grateful that I can put on my running shoes and hit the pavement. Running is great for stress relief.

I think I might also take some yoga classes this week, for distraction and relaxation.

Last edited by Twixt; 09-17-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
    Twixt
    (female)

Sorry for a repeat reply - I was working on the first reply to my original post to add some more info, and it seems to have ended up getting posted twice (I've now deleted this repeat reply of mine).

Last edited by Twixt; 09-17-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
    skylady1990
    (female)

skylady1990 HB User

Hi Twixt,
    First of all I hope your feeling somewhat better. I'm going through a similar situation. Was it the ER that told you to have a follow up US or did you visit your gyno too? If it was the ER i'd suggest going to see your gyno as soon as possible.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
    Twixt
    (female)

Yup, it was the ER that wanted me to go back in 2 months (ie: November) for a follow-up ultrasound. They gave me a copy of the notes from the bloodwork, X-ray, and Ultrasounds, to give to my family doctor (which I've done). My family doctor's office is going to requisition the follow-up ultrasound, and I'll be going back to the same hospital where I had the ER visit, since they'll have the original ultrasound info, etc, to compare to.

Luckily, I haven't had any acute pain since the incident that prompted me to go the ER in the first place. And even when it happened, it didn't last very long. I woke up in agony, then a short while later suddenly felt nauseous and threw up a few times, but shortly after that I started to feel better. The really acute pain only lasted about a half-hour. I still went to the ER, since I was pretty sure that you should get medical attention right away with that combination of symptoms.

I was feeling ok by the time I got to the hospital, and I almost felt silly for going there. And I'm the kind of person who would normally avoid the ER like the plague, but I just felt like something was wrong, even if I'd started feeling better, so I felt like I should still go.

When all the tests were done, etc, (8 hours later - yup, it was a verrrrry long and tedious day), the doctor told me about the cysts that they'd found, and he asked me if any of the pain or nausea had returned.

When I said that no, that acute pain hadn't come back, he actually seemed very surprised.

For about a week after that, I kept feeling like my period was about to start (that familiar heaviness and ever-so-slight cramping that comes before the one bad day of cramping on day 1 of my period). But I'd also been having the feeling off and on for a couple of weeks before my ER visit.

That's another unusual symptom of mine. By the time of my ER visit, I'd skipped a period, which isn't normal for me. And my period finally started about a week after the ER visit, but things were still off. I had no cramping at all on the first day (which is when I normally always do - it's when I always need to take an Advil), but instead I had cramping on day 2, which never happens. The flow was also quite heavy, and mine is normally moderate to light. And this time around, it only seems to have lasted about 2 1/2 days, which is extremely short.

Anyway, from what I've read, period irregularities sometimes happen with ovarian cysts. I don't know how worrisome this should be, though.

I also had some more GI issues that started exactly at the same time that my period started (hopefully they'll resolve soon).

I know that the majority of cysts are benign - even the complex ones, but I still can't help but worry. Also, I'd be curious to know what percentage of complex cysts end up needing to be removed, even if they're benign?

Does anyone have any stats on that?

Anyway, sorry for such a very long reply. I tend to get extra wordy when I'm tired and when I'm worried about something.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
    Twixt
    (female)

I'm thinking of doing some yoga to help with relaxation and stress relief.

Does anyone out there know if this is a bad idea? If I have two ovarian cysts, one of which is complex and is (possibly) collapsing, would yoga possibly cause more issues?

I should add that I'm not in any acute pain at the moment. I'm still experiencing some mild symptoms (mainly GI stuff and some bloating).

In other news, I'm slowly getting used to the idea of waiting. Although I still don't like that I have to wait till November sometime for the repeat ultrasound.

Last edited by Twixt; 09-21-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: adding more info

Old 10-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
    jogirl423
    (female)

jogirl423 HB User

I have to go on this coming Wednesday for a repeat sono - not looking forward to it. I hope you are doing ok - I wish someone would reply to my post, but I am guessing folks are too busy, so just wanted you to know I read yours and you are not alone. My post is under my handle in the same forum.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
    Twixt
    (female)

Thanks! And I'll take a look at your post, too

Old 11-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
    Queenslander83
    (female)

Queenslander83 HB User

How did you end up going?

I am noticing that a lot of women here who are worried about ovarian cysts do not follow up with how they went (this isn't a dig just an observation) so I'm assuming, most of the time, this means everyone is OK and that these cysts are not worrisome?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
    IandPsMommy
    (female)

IandPsMommy HB User

I too am interested to know how the follow up went. I had a similar situation. But my cyst was found during a CT scan for complications from my gall bladder removal. When they told me they found one I was terrified because I didn't know anything about ovarian cysts at the time. I didn't know that they are pretty normal. All I knew was that I had one, it was 6 cm and I was in the hospital and NPO for over 24 hours. It took that long before I could finally get any information from anyone at the hospital.

That's when they told me not to worry about the cyst but to follow up with an ultrasound a couple months later to see if it had grown. I won't go into any more details because I don't want to scare anyone because most of the time ovarian cysts are not an overly big deal. Mine wasn't cancer, but it was more than just a cyst. Please let us know how the follow up went. I hope it went well and you are doing okay.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:04 AM   #11
    Leegh
    (female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

Ovarian cysts are very common, please don't worry. Stress can definitely cause a delayed or missed period. I think practicing yoga as you mentioned can help. I have had ovarian cysts over the years and they come and go; sometimes even leaning against a counter can cause mild pain on my right side. Also, I've even had pain in my right leg, I think a cyst may be pressing on a nerve which affects my leg.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
    jogirl423
    (female)

jogirl423 HB User

Hi!

I ended up going back for the sono and basically no cysts - thank goodness - but then they found an area of interest in the endometrium that they called a "possible polyp". It was day seven after the start of period and I've sent report to two doctors (in addition to my own doc) and they all said it was normal because blood and polyps can look the same on sono. I've had numerous sono's prior to this one and my doc called me at home at 8pm to tell me that it was normal, no cysts and I do not need a repeat sono.

I am SO tired of worrying. But, yes cysts are normal in premenopuasal women and mine was "thick walled" and when I went 6 weeks later it was completely gone.

Anyhoo...I hope you ladies do are ok and have a great holiday season ahead!

Thanks for asking!

Last edited by moderator2; 11-19-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
    Penny465
    (female)

Penny465 HB User

I am so happy to hear this! I go in Tuesday for my follow-up ultrasound and I would be lying if I said I was not nervous. I pray that they are either gone or have shrunk. I have two complex cysts measuring 4.2cm and 3.2cm. I will be sure to post my results.

Last edited by mod85; 11-22-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
    jogirl423
    (female)

jogirl423 HB User

I will be sending good thoughts your way!!!

Last edited by mod85; 11-22-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
    Twixt
    (female)

Hi all,

I very recently had my 2-month followup U/S. The complex cyst that they were following seems to have resolved, but they found a new small mass that they can't identify. Apparently, it doesn't resemble either a corpus luteum or a hemorraghic cyst, and from what I can tell on the report, it looks like they don't know what it is.

I'll have to go back again for another followup U/S in 6 weeks, and if it hasn't resolved, they're suggesting an MRI. The fact that they're already suggesting a possible MRI makes me a little nervous (ie: how suspicious does this possibly-solid mass look?) One good thing is that the mass is avascular - if it were vascular, I'd be even more worried.

On the off-chance that this might end up being something serious, I'm scrambling to put some money aside in case I might end up having to take time off work (no one has mentioned surgery yet or anything like that, and this mystery ovarian mass might still resolve on its own, but I'm trying to be as prepared as I can be). My finances are not great though, and I only work part-time, so if my health does head south this will be really, really bad for my finances.

So I'm currently trying my best to figure out where I can cut expenses and where I can find some extra dollars in my budget (even a little bit) for an emergency fund.

In terms of fitness, I've continued to run, and I've done one yoga class (and have signed up to do more), so that's good. I'm very grateful for Groupon, lol.

So yeah, the waiting continues. I'm guessing they're going to schedule me in for my (2nd) follow-up U/S sometime in the week before Christmas.

Thanks everyone for checking in to see how I'm doing.

Twixt

Closed Thread