It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Colposcopy aftercare..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
    L28
    (female)

L28 HB User
    Colposcopy aftercare..

Hi there, never posted anything online before, but don't really know who to ask about this one on a Sunday!

I had a colposcopy last week (5 days ago now) and they took 3 punch biopsies. Afterwards the doctor put some gauze in there and something that looked like a scrunched up bandage. He told me to remove the 'bandage' that night, and the gauze would come out on its own...

I probably should have asked more questions at the time, but I am living abroad at the moment and the doc didn't speak very good English... and honestly, I just wanted to get out of there!

Anyway, I took the bandage out fine, but the gauze hasn't shown any signs of coming out. Everything I seem to read online suggests that there is no need for a dressing after a colposcopy...

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight? ...please..!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
    VPK
    (female)

VPK HB User
    Re: Colposcopy aftercare..

Hey There.....
    Well, I cannot fully answer your question because I am not a Doctor or medical professional....all I can tell you is what my experience was and maybe that can help you. I had a colposcopy done a few weeks ago and they took 4 biopsy samples from my cervix. I do not know what a "punch" biopsy is so I don't know if that is different from what I had. After my doctor took the biopsy samples she put some sort of paste and what felt like a liquid rinse or something over my cervix to stop the bleeding. The rinse quickly came out and she gave me a panty liner for my underwear. She did not put gauze or anything like that inside me. She told me that over the next few days I would have brown discharge and a plasticy-like scab would come off and that was normal. I was not to stick anything in my vagina (no sex, no tampons, no douche, and I also assumed no swimming, hottubs, or bath tubs for 3 days). Also, if I had a lot of bleeding I would need to call her immediately. Uh, my suggestion would be to call a dr. in your home country to ask questions....but I would think that like with tampons you do not want to leave anything like gauze in your vagina for fear of infection.....especially after having a biopsy. I hope this helps you a little bit and that everything works out well for you.

-Also, if your Dr. did not communicate this to you...he would have put vinegar and iodine on your cervix to highlight the mutated cells to see where to take the biopsy. If you have a dark-reddish-brown discharge that would be from the iodine.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread