It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Atypical Glandular Cells at 24yrs old-Totally Scared and Confused

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
    alan26
    (female)

alan26 HB User
    Atypical Glandular Cells at 24yrs old-Totally Scared and Confused

Hello all!
    I am brand new to this website but have been reading some past post and have some some really amazing things! I was hoping I could also get some answers, suggestions, thoughts, experiences, etc!

I just turned 24 and am single but in a long-term committed relationship. About 9 months ago I received an abnormal pap smear that was followed up with Colposcopy. These test results didn't indicate anything alarming. So I was then scheduled for a repeat pap smear 6 months later.

The test results received after the repeat pap indicated I have Atypical Glandular Cells and am HPV positive. I have already been through prior Colposcopy at this point so am now recommended to do the procedure Edometrial Curretage Conization (ECC) or a Cone Biopsy. I am unsure of what this means and am meeting with the obgny oncologist next week to get more information.

I'm hoping to get some tips on questions to be sure to ask and what may be in store for me in the near future with these sort of test results. My OBGYN was extremely alarming and to be honest scared the living daylights out of me!! I am young, never had any children and am seriously worried about my fertility at this point! S.O.S.!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
    Erie0385
    Veteran
    (female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
    Re: Atypical Glandular Cells at 24yrs old-Totally Scared and Confused

Welcome to the boards.
    I know at this point it can be terrifying to get these kinds of results.
    The first time I had an abnormal pap I was 22. I did the colposcopy with biopsy and then proceeded with the LEEP. After going for repeat pap every 4-6 months, I was finally cleared.
    Fast forward to this year, and I'm dealing with the same thing but I'm now 27with no children. We did a second LEEP and ECC, (an ECC just takes a scraping of cells further up into your endocervix) but things keep progressing for me (CIN lll). For me the ECC wasn't too painful. Finally my gyn sent me to a gyn oncologist.
    I was really upset over this, but I have found him to be great.
    He's asked me a lot of questions and I asked a lot myself. He first wants to make sure that I am dealing with everything emotionally. I made sure that he knows my number 1 priority is to have children some day. So he took having a hysterectomy off the table (for now). I'd say that if this is something very important to you, that you convey this to your dr.
    Questions and thoughts that may be helpful:
    1. Having children are important to you. They can very treatment options based on this?
    2. Will the treatment put me in a high risk catagory once I'm pregnant?
    3. What stage is your biopsies reading?
    4. Is this something that can be monitored with repeat visits over 3-6 months? Or is treatment needed quicker?

Sorry this is so long! I hope this helps a little bit. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask! I know how scary this is, but try not to worry so much until you see the gyn onc.
    Erin

Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
    Kthom75
    (female)

Kthom75 HB User
    Re: Atypical Glandular Cells at 24yrs old-Totally Scared and Confused

HI girls I am also new I posted already but I wanted to say I wish I had some helpful information. I actually have 3 kids and am 37 so I would be just fine with a hysterectomy so I def feel for you guys trying to keep things and deal with these possiblities. I have just had the AGC results and had the 3 biopies done I am not HPV positive though and I am doing an ultrasound on Saturday.

Please keep me posted I will let you know how things go with me.
    Karrie

Closed Thread

Tags
    agus, atypical glandular cells, cervical cancer, cervix, ecc