It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Help with LEEP and understanding odds of cervical cancer coming on within a year??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
    lynne7893
    (female)

lynne7893 HB User
    Help with LEEP and understanding odds of cervical cancer coming on within a year??

I am 34, a mother of 6 children. I used to smoke, quit in February 2012. Heres my history. Normal paps all my life until 2010 during my last pregnancy. Diagnosed with HPV. They did a colo/biopsy. Everything came back normal. YAY! After baby was born, had the essure implant (no more babies for me lol)Then 2011, no HPV and normal Pap. YAY again! 3 months after normal pap, started having brownish discharge between periods and my periods would be really late. Went for a trasvag ultrasound. They diagnosed me with PCOS. Cysts on my ovaries. Kinda shocking for me. Went for a follow up, they were gone. YAY once again! Went for another follow up, they were back. And then another one, they were gone. Then I stared the brownish discharge again, late periods or skipped periods, bad right leg cramps with swelling more visible on that leg. But leg cramps would go away after period. Chalked it up to getting older. In September, I had a significant amount of fluid discharge two weeks prior to my period. It was one incident. Watery with blood tinged. I went for a wet smear, the results were possible infection/irritation. I asked for a pap smear and had a little earlier than my 1 year. Came back with abnormal and HPV again. Did a colo/biopsy. Results given to me over the phone as CIN11 Moderate dysplasia. Asked me to come in to have a LEEP. Had the LEEP. They asked me then to set an appointment a week from that day to get results. During the LEEP it took longer than she said it would. Is that bad? Did they see more dysplasia? Can cervical cancer come on this quick? I am SOOOO confused and scared. I just called my doctors office to see if the results were in early. The nurse got on the phone and said, they cannot give me the results over the phone due to the sensitivity of the results and a doctor needs to be the one to discuss with me in person in case there is a need for other procedures. Okay, so does this mean they have my results and its bad, and they dont want to tell me over the phone, or is this just standard and how they handle it with all patients? I know I get my results tomorrow, but I am so scared and sweating bullets. Any help would be great!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
    Erie0385
    Veteran
    (female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
    Re: Help with LEEP and understanding odds of cervical cancer coming on within a year?

Welcome to the boards!
    From previous experience, leeps typically get all the abnormal cells. The doctor will go over the pathology with you. Hopefully you will hear that the "margins are all clear". That means they got all abnormal stuff. From my experience my regular gynos MA will give results over the phone or they send me a letter. My gyno oncologist only gives results. He gave me biopsy results over the phone, but I had to go in today to get my leep results.
    Every dr has a different way they handle things, such as results, and it doesn't always mean that it's bad news.
    Good luck tomorrow, and let us know how your doing!

The Following User Says Thank You to Erie0385 For This Useful Post:
    lynne7893 (10-30-2012)
    Old 10-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
    lynne7893
    (female)

lynne7893 HB User
    Re: Help with LEEP and understanding odds of cervical cancer coming on within a year?

Thank you very much! Just having someone listen helps me a lot! I appreciate your time to reply. I means so much to me!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
    Erie0385
    Veteran
    (female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

No problem! I know how stressful this is. Im 27 and no kids yet. Unfortunately I've now had 3 leep procedures. I feel like an old pro at this! It definitely helps having someone to talk to or vent to. Family is great, but not as objective!
    If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
    lynne7893
    (female)

lynne7893 HB User

So.. I went in for my results. The nurse came in and said, "sorry to give you the bad news, but your results are not in"
    UGH!! I go back Thursday at 3:30. I HATE waiting!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
    Erie0385
    Veteran
    (female)

And they couldnt have called to tell you that in the first place!? That's so frustrating!!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
    lynne7893
    (female)

lynne7893 HB User

I know, right? Well, they saw the results from my 1st biopsy and thought it was the results from my LEEP since they were back to back. I kinda freaked out when the nurse said she had bad news...my heart stopped. Once I knew it was not having the results that was the bad news, I felt a little better. LOL! But I am back to square one. Waiting. Do you get worried when you have to wait for results? My husband tries to tell me not to work myself up, but I cant help it. He tells me the odds are in my favor to get good results, but you just never know.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
    lynne7893
    (female)

lynne7893 HB User

I have another question. Being that you have had the LEEP done. Since I have had it, I have had a lot of brownish discharge and passing of "tissue" like stuff. Its been 9 days since I have had the LEEP and i still have the brownish discharge but its more liquidy. Is that normal? Where are you at with your condition? Since this came on so quick for me, I almost want to tell them, (even if the results are good) that I want a hyst, just so that I dont have to worry about the probability of this happening again. I do have heart issues too, which my friend told me a hyst would throw my body into pre menopause and is stressful on my heart. But at this point, I think THIS is stressful on my heart. Catch 22. I am sorry I am asking so many questions.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
    lynne7893
    (female)

lynne7893 HB User

Okay so my result... Margins clear! Said I had CIN3 and I need paps every 3 months. If Abnormal pap, then I need Cone Biopsy and to discuss hyst. I told the doc just take it out of me. She said its not possible to do so unless a cone is done first. I just dont like this wait and see thing. But for now, I am good! And I am SO thankful of that! Thank you so much for your helpfulness! And words of encouragement! Please let me know how you are doing!

Old 10-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
    Erie0385
    Veteran
    (female)

You'd think doctors offices would be more careful with getting their facts straight!
    Don't worry about the questions, I'll answer what I can from my experience.
    I'd like to think that I don't get too worked up over waiting, but in all honesty, I turn into a crazy, mean, hormonal person. I don't realize it until my employees at work (I'm a manager in a well known pharmacy) tell me that I'm losing it. Then again, I always kind of expect the worst, so when the results come back, I'm not as shocked.
    I will be 3 weeks out from my LEEP as of tomorrow. I'd say the first 2 weeks I had a lot of discharge. Everyday it changed. Sometimes it was brown, yellow, pink, and it was all pretty "thin" The last few days mine has been "lighter" but it's thicker. I saw my oncologist Monday, and he said everything is healing up very nicely and that the discharge is still normal. I forgot to ask for how long though. My last 2 LEEPs, I would freak out, because it would look like a huge chunk of tissue came out. I've been told it's normal.
    My story is so long! Starting in 2005 I had an abnormal pap, had the colpo/biopsy and then a LEEP. After that I have had clear pap's since then. Then in Feb 2012 I had another abnormal pap at my yearly. She did the colpo/biopsy and then a LEEP in April. After doing the waiting, and another pap 3 months later, she decided to send me to a gynocoloist oncologist. For me, from Feb to Sept I have gone from "mildly" abnormal to CIN lll. I saw the oncologist and he did a colpo/biopy, the results didn't come back too bad but he assumed he sampled an area that wasn't as bad. His first recommendation was to do a hysterectomy. But I still really want to have kids, so he said that's fine, we will do what we can to preseve the tiny bit of cervix I have left. So he recommended that we do the LEEP under sedation in the hospital so he could be more selective. I had that done on Oct 11. The results from that came back carcinoma in situ. BUT I have clear margins, so that means he got everything! So I will go back in another 3 months and do a repeat pap/ecc.
    Mine has been a difficult case, and I'm in that rare percentage that these things progress this far. I think that if I already had a few babies, I'd tell him to take everything out! I think it's too stressful to deal with this!
    I think I'd talk to your gyn about a hysterectomy and see what they think about how that would affect your heart condition.
    Sorry this got so long!
    Erin

Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
    lynne7893
    (female)

lynne7893 HB User

Thank you for your response. It helps me gauge what I should expect. Wow! Thats crazy! So because you had CIN 111 they send you to a gyn/onc? I started really early in life having kids. Waited 10 years and had three more. I have a history of cancer with grandparents. One breast cancer and the other skin cancer. My best friend is 34 and they believe she has lung cancer. She has a mass in her lymph node by her lung. Its in a hard to get to spot. They did a biopsy on it, no cancer, but they said they didnt get to the "meat" of it. So yesterday she had a PET scan. She will have the results today. Her Mom died at 47 with lung cancer and her granfmother at 65 with it also. So, her and I have been kinda in the same boat for the last 6 weeks. Waiting.
    I wish I could ask my gyno to so monthly paps lol! I just want to "catch" something before its gone too far. Thank God for these tests though. I am blessed also to have your support too! Its so nice to be able to talk and hear about your situation.
    Btw, my best friend was a manager at CVS for a few years. i dont know if IL has CVS pharmacys there or not.
    i wish you the best of luck with having babies! I know you will and youre going to be a great Mom! I'll let you borrow a few of mine..lol! My oldest is about to turn 18 in two weeks, and my youngest is 2. I was an only child.
    I will keep you in my prayers! Im am here if you need to vent. I know I did my fair share.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
    Erie0385
    Veteran
    (female)

I think my gyn sent me to a gyn/onc because this was my second time, it kept getting worse every time I saw her, because it was Cinlll, and to preserve fertility.
    I wish I would have started early with kids. But I was more focused on getting college done and my career started. Now I'm just waiting for the right guy to come along lol. And yes we have CVS around here. But I work for the major competitor of them . CVS is just now starting to hit the St Louis market.
    I think I'd steal your 2 year old. I love that age!
    Your definitely in my prayers too. I believe the more you get the quicker it's answered. Have you heard about your results yet?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
    lynne7893
    (female)

lynne7893 HB User

Yes maam! My results found CIN 3 however my margins were clear! I go back this week to follow up with the healing of my cervix and then Feb to have a PAP. I admire you for wanting to get your career before having kids. I was not very mature when I was young. I was 17 with 3 kids. I dont regret them at all though, but I encourage my older kids to get through highschool and college. If my oldest followed my foot steps, I would have been a grandma at 30 lol! I do pray for you and for the desire of your heart of having children to come true. You have been so wonderful to talk to! I plan to stay on here so I can get updates from you and let you know about me as well. It helps SO much!!

Closed Thread

Tags
    cervical cancer, cin111