It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• My CIN III Story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
    37momof3
    (female)

37momof3 HB User
    My CIN III Story

Sixteen days ago I went for my annual exam. I was shocked to receive a call eight days later that my pap had come back ASC-H and HPV positive. I have been married for over 10 years (together 14 years) in what I truly believe has been a 100% monogamous relationship. I had had normal Pap smears annually for twenty years, with the exception of one year that I missed several years back. My doctor's nurse explained on the phone that HPV and abnormal paps can appear years after exposure. Fortunately, she was able to schedule me for a colposcopy the next day.

The colposcopy was not too bad. My doctor took three biopsies and an ECC. He said that it would be unusual for an abnormal pap and HPV to appear out of nowhere but that it was not unheard of. He said that I had likely never been tested previously for HPV. My doctor called the next day with the results (my husband knows the pathologist and we thankfully were able to get some excellent rush service). All three samples and the ECC were CIN III.

I read through these boards nonstop about to lose my mind prior to the LEEP, which was scheduled in his office five days after I received the results (yesterday). I freaked myself out! I took two Alleve before I went to my appointment. The LEEP really was not too bad, and he took a pretty big cone-shaped piece (he even showed me afterwards). The worst part was the anticipation. The shots made my heart rate increase a little (which was already racing). He had a little difficulty getting the bleeding to stop, but finally he did. I went by myself and drove there and back.

On the way home, I started getting cramps as the numbing medication wore off. A few hours later I had BAD cramps and was counting down the hours until I could take more Alleve, and I had already taken Tylenol, too. I would ask for a pain med script in case you need it. And I would plan to take the rest of the day off work.

Today, I feel normal, except for wearing a pad waiting for something to come out. My doctor called earlier and already had the results from my LEEP. He even sounded surprised that he had them so quickly with the rush request. They were CIN III in both parts of the cervix (inside and out), but there were clear margins everywhere. Yippee! I go back in 6 months.

I am taking this as a wake up call to improve my nutrition, which has been pretty bad the last couple of years. I've started taking vitamins again. Eating more fruits and veggies (and juicing them, too). Drinking green tea and ordered some green tea extract capsules. I am going to do everything that I can to prevent this virus from doing this to me again.

The following user gives a hug of support to 37momof3:
    jstbhappy (06-08-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
    jstbhappy
    (female)

jstbhappy HB User
    Re: My CIN III Story

Good luck with your six month check...sounds like all will be well!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
    bluenoel
    (female)

bluenoel HB User

congrats! This gives me some hope. I'm awaiting my Colpo results, paps have all been normal, been having spotting after intercourse.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
    hrr830
    (female)

hrr830 HB User

My story is almost exactly like yours.

With my hubby for 14 years married 10 of those years. (in a completely monogamous relationship)

I have normal paps except I missed mine last year.
    Went in for my pap in August thisyear and got a call it was abnormal AND HPV!

I had a colpo and it came back CIN3
    Then onto a cone biopsy and the results were CIN3/CIS with clear margins.

Now that we are done having kids the dr.is recommending a hysterectomy
    I'm getting a second opinion tomorrow from a gyno/onc.

Did you get that recommendation? Or did your dr want to just follow up with you?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
    hrr830
    (female)

hrr830 HB User

My story is almost exactly like yours.

With my hubby for 14 years married 10 of those years. (in a completely monogamous relationship)

I have normal paps except I missed mine last year.
    Went in for my pap in August thisyear and got a call it was abnormal AND HPV!

I had a colpo and it came back CIN3
    Then onto a cone biopsy and the results were CIN3/CIS with clear margins.

Now that we are done having kids the dr.is recommending a hysterectomy
    I'm getting a second opinion tomorrow from a gyno/onc.

Did you get that recommendation? Or did your dr want to just follow up with you?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
    junipersage
    (female)

junipersage HB Userjunipersage HB Userjunipersage HB User

Hi hrr830, how did your second opinion go?
    My case was somewhat similar to yours, but my diagnosis was AIS rather than CIS. If it had been CIS, my doc would have recommended watch-and-wait after the cone with clear margins, but since it was AIS and the chance for other lesions being present was greater, she recommended the hysterectomy, which I had this June.

Hope your second opinion provided you some clarity and confidence in your plan going forward. Sending you supportive thoughts.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
    hrr830
    (female)

hrr830 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junipersage View Post
    Hi hrr830, how did your second opinion go?
    My case was somewhat similar to yours, but my diagnosis was AIS rather than CIS. If it had been CIS, my doc would have recommended watch-and-wait after the cone with clear margins, but since it was AIS and the chance for other lesions being present was greater, she recommended the hysterectomy, which I had this June.

Hope your second opinion provided you some clarity and confidence in your plan going forward. Sending you supportive thoughts.
    Yes, i had my second opinion and she said she thought a hyster. wasn't appropriate at this time.

She said since i had clear margins and this was my first abnormal pap that repeating paps every 4 months for 2 years and getting ECC done would be her recommendation.

I'm very pleased with her recommendations

How are you healing after your hyster? I recognize the potential for this to come back so I'm aware that a hysterectomy might be in my future.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
    junipersage
    (female)

junipersage HB Userjunipersage HB Userjunipersage HB User

I'm healing well, thanks. It was hard to remember to rest and not overdo - even when you look pretty healed on the outside, there is still a lot of healing happening on the inside. A few weeks ago I overdid it lifting some heavy boxes of tile (I thought after 4 months I wouldn't have to worry...) and had some mild cramping for a few days.

In general I think I am back to normal, but my libido is definitely not where it was before. I'm not sure if that is hormonal or what...I kept my ovaries but sometimes after surgery they go into a bit of decline. Our sex life is still okay but it used to be really awesome and I do miss it. But it had to be done and I'm glad that I'm otherwise okay.

Great to hear that you got a better recommendation and hope you stay healthy and happy!

Closed Thread

Tags
    asc-h, cin iii, colposcopy, hpv, leep