It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Atypical Glandular Cells, Negative HPV & Biopsies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
    NYCMom
    (female)

NYCMom HB User
    Atypical Glandular Cells, Negative HPV & Biopsies

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situaiton and can provide some words of wisdom? I had a Leep 2.5 years ago for AIS. At the time, my gyn said the margins came back clear. Since then, I've had normals paps. Until this past November. I had an abnormal pap with atypical glandular cells. The ECC was normal and HPV negative. And I went back for another ECC and endometrial biopsy. Both of which were fine/benign, but they did discover that I have endometriosis. I had a funny feeling something wasn't quite right because I've had abnormally heavy periods in the last 6 months. Finally, I went in for an transvaginal ultrasound and the ultrasound doc said my endometrium looked very thick and hard to see through some bleeding still happening but he claimed that the benign biopsy is encouraging and that it could very well be that the biopsy threw off my cycle. Now I have to wait another month and go back for another ultrasound. Planted a seed in my head that something could be wrong after all.

I followed up with an gyn oncologist who then started talking about invasive cancer since I had a history of AIS. And of course, this is when I started to panic and freak out. I have a 4 year old and my mom had another type of cancer and I was her primary caretaker and saw all that she went through. Call me hypochondriac, but the idea of cancer and having been there with her really has me breaking down at times.

The greatest part about all of this is that my gyn oncol said that it was odd that the pap said atypical glandular cells, but no hpv. He's worried that the cancer may be hiding out furhter somewhere since as you all know, glandular cells are tricky. And with the thickened endometrium, he said they noted that there's a feeding vessel which usually indicates a polyp, but not definitive since they couldn't do a good reading. Yet, my regular gyn never made the connection of the atypical glandular cells with anything beyond the endometriosis.

I guess my question is has anyone ever experienced a benign biopsy (I know there's a false negative of up to 10%), good ECC results, negative HPV and still discovered invasive cancer?

The extra monkey wrench in all this is that I may be offered a new job, but not sure if the new company's insurance will see this as a pre-existing condition.

So scared as I have a wonderful little family, had wanted to potentially have another child (but may have hysterectomy either way), and wanted a more secure job but all of this might no longer be viable.

I'm sorry for just a long post. Would love to hear anyone's experience. I want to be prepared for anything negative as well as positive. I just want to be realistic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
    junipersage
    (female)

junipersage HB Userjunipersage HB Userjunipersage HB User
    Re: Atypical Glandular Cells, Negative HPV & Biopsies

So sorry this is all happening at once, particularly with the potential job/insurance change.

My history was different, so I don't have anything to offer that might shed light on your situation. After my diagnosis of AIS, I was not able to get clear margins with a LEEP or a cone biopsy, so eventually I had a hysterectomy.

I'm glad you thought to follow up with your gyn oncologist. Between your two docs, you should be able to get to the bottom of this, even though the period of waiting for tests and results can be so stressful. I'm keeping you in my thoughts for good results at your next visits. Sending hugs your way.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
    NYCMom
    (female)

NYCMom HB User

Thanks Juniper!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
    Flohio
    (female)

Flohio HB User

I don't know if you still have questions re this post, but I had AGUS pap results last year. Negative for HPV. Had endometrial biopsy, colposcopy, d&c with hysteroscopy, and cone biopsy. They were all normal. Then had my colonoscopy. Precancerous polyp at the base of my appendix prompted an appendectomy. Appendectomy revealed Adenocarcinoma of the appendix. Ob/oncologist stated that this cancer could have been the source of the atypical glandular cells. My latest pap was normal.

Closed Thread

Tags
    atypical glandular cells