It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

Ovarian cancer w/sudden onset of pain... ?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
Bulan
(female)

Bulan HB User
Exclamation Ovarian cancer w/sudden onset of pain... ?

Hello all,

I'm quite fearful and could use other perspectives...

My symptoms began suddenly, 12 days ago.

They began with strong menstrual pains. On the second day I realized I didn't actually have my period.

Instead, I began to feel cramping in my lower back (right side), cramps in my upper right leg, very light nausea (just one or two minutes per day), deep aching and stabbing pain in my back, groin and pelvis, and a pinched nerve feeling from my lower back through my hip and into my upper leg.

All of this on the right side.

I've had no bloating, urgency to urinate (maybe a minuscule feeling of this), weight loss, fever, reduced appetite, or anything else (I think?) associated with ovarian cancer.

And yet I can't get the fear of it out of my mind.

Other info:

- I'm 36, and still nursing my 17-month baby (my first child), and my menstrual cycle hasn't yet returned to my pre-baby routine.

- Ovarian cancer doesn't run in the family, although other cancers do (e.g. Skin, colon, liver, brain tumour).

- I've never been on the pill.

I'm quite afraid... Do you have any tips or a word of encouragement? It would mean the world to me.

I should add, I've had soreness/stabbing/aching pain in one spot (beside my lower spine, also on the right side) for about half a year. My doctor suggested physiotherapy, but I can't stop wondering if it's related to my current symptoms.

I've also had health anxiety for about 10 years now, since I first started showing signs of fibromyalgia. But no matter how many times a symptom turns out to be innocent, I still become deathly afraid of each new symptom that comes along. It's debilitating.

Case in point: I should be sleeping now, as I have to be up early for blood tests in the morning, but reading/posting in this board (and hoping for feedback) is the only thing keeping my fear from getting out of control...

The following user gives a hug of support to Bulan:
sally95 (02-16-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Ovarian cancer w/sudden onset of pain... ?

With no family history of ovarian cancer, this is most likely NOT OC. A woman's lifetime risk is less than 2%. The CA125 test for OC is not accurate.

Ovarian cysts can cause this type of pain. An ultrasound could be done to check for cysts.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
Bulan (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #3
Leepissues
(female)

Leepissues HB User

Please go to the doctor if you have insurance, love !

The Following User Says Thank You to Leepissues For This Useful Post:
Bulan (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Bulan
(female)

Bulan HB User

Thanks so much for the encouragement, STLouisgal and Leepissues!

My situation's changed slightly... tests came back clear, except for a benign cyst on an ovary. So... for someone with health anxiety, this doesn't ease my fears much. lol

More than anything, I'd love to get rid of this anxiety. I can't think of many more depressing ways to live, than being healthy while fixated on illness. <facepalm>

WhistleDixie (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Hey there...I agree with the other ladies...Please schedule an ultrasound to confirm the existence of the cyst. As stated, a cyst can cause much pain and discomfort. I truly don't see a reason for you to continue to fret of the possibility of cancer. You're going to be fine, once you've gotten proper diagnosis/treatment for your pain.

Good luck and keep us posted. We're always here for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to WhistleDixie For This Useful Post:
Bulan (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Bulan
(female)

Bulan HB User

WhistleDixie, your support means a lot! Thank you!

I did have an ultrasound, which detected the 5cm cyst. The doctor isn't worried about it, and wants a follow-up ultrasound one year from now.

And I agree, there's no real reason to be stressed about a remote chance of coming down with this, or any other disease. I've known and heard of many people who faced real threats with much more courage. I'd like to know how they found that kind of focus and peace of mind. If only I could control my emotions as easily as a light switch!

WhistleDixie (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #7
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would be reassured that the cyst looks benign, but I think one year for a repeat ultrasound is too long, and did your Dr. recommend any treatment so the cyst will resolve and quit hurting? Usually, a couple of cycles on a birth control pill will shrink the cyst. Otherwise, without treatment, it could rupture or grow bigger. I would ask Dr for treatment and a follow-up US in 2-3 months. Is your Dr a GYN? I would also get a copy of the US report and make sure it says simple cyst and not complex cyst.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Hey Bulan...I agree with the previous poster. Keep the cyst monitored, because benign cysts can and will grow (and burst). The last thing I want to do is to fuel your anxieties. Just be SURE you have a doctor that is diligent to follow through, because his oversight will result in YOUR suffering=(

Just be vigilant...always...with your female anatomy. Be your own advocate in your healthcare. As for your health anxieties, worry is wasted energy, as we know. Try not to "focus" on what "can happen". You're human, sweetie...no apologies necessary. Be thankful it's benign, as "most" cysts are...but keep an eye on it.

You are amongst people on this forum who understand and care. We're here for you...whether it's to talk or to listen=)

Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

Hey Bulan...I just posted to you, but it doesn't show on your thread. I'm having SO MANY issues with my system or something for almost 2 weeks. I keep getting "Internet not responding", "close and reopen website", yatta yatta. I've asked if issues with HB, but it's not. Something's wrong on my end. I've run scans to clean potential viruses and cleared "cookies"....mmm, cookies sound good right now=)

I digress. I'll get back on point and try to collect my thoughts so that I can post something similar to my thoughts that just blasted into ether space...Who knows? I wanted to say that I agree with ladybud. Even though your cyst "appears benign", it still needs to be monitored. I wouldn't wait a full year either. Cysts can, indeed grow to large sizes and burst, sometimes unnoticed...but sometimes creating an emergency situation. Because of my history I am hyper vigilant with ANYTHING that shows up in my female anatomy that doesn't "belong". I don't put much trust in GYNs or any other doctors.

(IMO) You need not concern yourself with CANCER. I don't think your fears are warranted, though I understand your anxiety. Having a GYN doctor you can trust is essential. If you have that, you're good to go. Stop worrying and focus on your joy...that sweet baby. I can only imagine that having a 17 month old, your body and your emotions are still on edge, so your anxieties are just a part of it.

You have found a great "cyber family of support" here on HB. We are here and happy to help you whenever we can. Keep us posted=)

Closed Thread