It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Lsil after negative colposcopy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
    IrishNinja702
    (female)

IrishNinja702 HB User
    Lsil after negative colposcopy

Hi all!

I am terrified and confused. In August of 2013, I had my first ever abnormal pap (LSIL HPV+). I was scheduled for a colposcopy the next week. My doctor noticed no abnormalities to biopsy but did take an ECC. The results came back normal to my relief and I went into my 6 month re-check fairly confident. However, I was just told that my new pap also came back LSIL and my doctor wants to re-do the pap in 4 months and if that also comes back LSIL I will have to have another colposcopy.

Why did the ECC and colp. come back negative and my pap is still abnormal? Could this mean I have cancer somewhere else (uterine or ovarian)? I am terrified that something else is going on and I am wondering what I should do for the next 4 months (and 1 week post pap). Please help me understand this. I am 26 and have no children, but would like to have them in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
    junipersage
    (female)

junipersage HB Userjunipersage HB Userjunipersage HB User
    Re: Lsil after negative colposcopy

Hi, IrishNinja. I'm sorry this has been so stressful.

LSIL is generally not an indicator of uterine or ovarian cancer, or even cervical cancer. It does indicate some mildly abnormal cervical cells. For whatever reason, they were not seen on your last colposcopy, but even if they had been, many doctors will take a "wait and see' approach to LSIL, as the body can often resolve it on its own.

Since your pap indicates LSIL again, it makes sense that the next step would be a repeat colposcopy. If your colpo results confirm the LSIL, there are several ways to remove the cells.

When in doubt, you can always get a second opinion, but in general your doctor's approach seems reasonable. Waiting is always hard, but there's no need to worry too much just yet. LSIL is a very common finding. Sending lots of supportive thoughts.

Closed Thread

Tags
    abnormal pap smear, cervical cancer, colposcopy, hpv high risk, lsil