It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Ovarian Cancer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
    sally95
    (female)

sally95 HB User
    Ovarian Cancer?

Hello all!
    I'm 18 and have had discomfort and on and off excruciating pain in my lower left pelvic area. A couple of years ago, my doctor ordered an ultra sound because my family is prone to ovarian cysts. They found one small cyst in the left ovary. I've been complaining about this pain to my doctor for months and he finally ordered another ultrasound this week. I have fevers almost everyday and extreme fatigue and bloating. I don't know much about this cancer but I can sense that something definitely isn't right. It's only a few days til the ultrasound but I'm very nervous. Any words of advice? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Ovarian Cancer?

Ovarian cysts can cause pain and if they rupture, that can be more painful. And a rupture can cause an infection which may explain your fever. Even if the women in your family are prone to ovarian cysts, if you don't have a family history or gene mutation for ovarian cancer (OC) then your lifetime risk for OC is VERY low - only 1.4%.

Hope you get some answers from the ultrasound. Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
    sally95
    (female)

sally95 HB User

Thank you very much!! I feel a bit silly now!

Last edited by sally95; 02-10-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

No need to feel silly! Ovarian cancer is scary but for most women there's no need to have this fear. Of course, we should be aware of the symptoms and seek the necessary diagnostics (imaging) if we have them. But unfounded fear only causes anxiety and can lead to bad decisions.

I know from personal experience. I had a large suspicious looking ovarian cyst. My long-time gynecologist kept mentioning cancer. So I needed surgery. They biopsied the cyst while I was under anesthesia (frozen section). Even though it was benign, my gynecologist proceeded to remove the rest of my sex organs (uterus, both ovaries, tubes). Every aspect of my life was turned upside down. I was much older than you (49) but our organs are for much more than reproduction. They are essential our entire lives to every aspect of our health.

I am only telling you this because women's sex organs are treated as if they are useless after childbearing. 1 in 3 women has a hysterectomy by age 60 and 1 in 2 by age 72. Only about 2% are done for cancer. Over half of women lose healthy ovaries (equivalent to a man's testicles) at the time of hysterectomy. I am hoping that with your generation, the gross overuse of female organ removal ends.

Please let us know what the ultrasound shows. I hope you feel better soon!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
    sally95
    (female)

sally95 HB User

Wow! Thank you! I will keep that in mind, for sure.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
    sally95
    (female)

sally95 HB User

Ultrasound came up normal. Even the cyst I had a couple of years ago is gone. Mystery pain, I guess? Definitely doesn't feel like menstrual cramps, though. But has anyone ever had an ultrasound and didn't think the technician really covered the whole area?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glad to hear the cyst went away but sorry the pain persists. There are a number of things that can cause pelvic pain and it's possible it's not even a gynecologic problem. Hope you get some answers soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
    sally95 (02-25-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    cancer, ovarian cancer