It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

First symptoms of ovarian cancer

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
suzyshop1
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Unhappy First symptoms of ovarian cancer

I'll try and not make this too long.Im 57 I have Gerd and IBS,no meds for IBS,been in menopause for bout4-5 yrs now. As I get older i noticed that I urinate a lot more than I used too,i also have lower back pain for few yrs now.For a few yrs now I've had this discomfort in my lower left side, below my belly button, but not quite in my side, the discomfort came and went.Went to family doc he ordered somekinda X-ray, it came back showing nothing, doc said it was probably my IBS. Fast forward too last summer, I noticed discomfort more, one weekend pain was so bad I could hardly stand, then it went away again, still discomfort.Made appt with new doc because he moved practice, sent me too new female doc, I was going thru depression at the time, told her bout the pain, she said let's handel one problem at a time,she gave me pills sent me on my way, she didn't act concerned, so I wasn't.Still discomfort remained,towards end of 2013 I had another episode with left sided pain, went too doc, she mentioned diverticulitis, or something bout my ovary.She put me on high fiber diet,told me too return in 6 wks, then if not better, they'll order blood tests and colonoscopy.I go back after 6 wks she pushes down on my left side I'm almost jumped off the table.She said they'll order blood tests first, then maybe colonoscopy. So they me give a paper with summary of my visit, I thought they were going too send, the paperwork thru the mail, I waited 2 wks nothing. I call them and they told me the lab work was with the papers that they gave me, well they weren't.So they said come pick them up, I had blood tests done Wednesday still no word.I wouldnt be so scared, if I didn't have most of the symptoms of ovarian cancer, can anyone tell me what was one of the first signs or symptoms u had that alerted u, too something was wrong?Thanks for any replies, sorry post was so long.

Last edited by suzyshop1; 04-12-2014 at 09:32 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: suzyshop1
Froodie (04-28-2014),WhistleDixie (04-12-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User
Re: First symptoms of ovarian cancer

Hi Suzy...Don't apologize for the length of your post, as not everything fits into a "character limit". I'm so sorry you're going through this prolonged agony with IMO negligent doctors, who lack compassion and empathy. This should have been aggressively investigated from your first pain. My guess (MY opinion only) is that you've had a cyst(s) that have possibly burst, causing the intense bouts of pain in your left side. The doctor should already have ordered a sonogram, etc. to diagnose. However, cysts can form and burst...here now, gone tomorrow. I know that human instinct is to automatically react in morbid fear of cancer. Try not to, because this pain can be due to many other conditions. I have "anger issues" with most of the white coat community that I have dealt with over half my life. THEY don't take OUR health seriously IMO because it does not affect THEM. I digress. HUGS to you for comfort, as I'm so sorry you've been dragged unnecessarily through this maze of apathy.

Based on my personal experience, we must advocate and push for our healthcare...not allow the doctors a "wait and see" approach. Yes, I'm bitter because doctors didn't take me seriously either. Instead they brushed off my pain and severe cramps/periods for years. By the time I was diagnosed, the endometriosis had consumed my insides. I learned the hard way that most doctors have a God complex and just DO NOT listen. Then it's OOPS...our body, our health, our lives that diminish...not theirs.

Sorry for the rant. I just don't want you to continue to agonize over this. Please find a reputable GYN sooner rather than later and demand these diagnostic tests. I don't think you'll get the diagnosis of cancer, but even if you do...It can be removed and treated so that you can feel better. It's more likely that your issues are benign, but that makes them no less urgent. Please don't let them put this off and delay any longer, okay?

Old 04-13-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Sorry you are going through this. Transvaginal ultrasounds are typically good for seeing ovarian cysts. But I'm not sure about x-rays although it seems they would also show one. Ovarian cysts are common and most are benign but they can be quite painful and cause increased urination due to pressure on the bladder. But the menopause hormonal changes themselves can cause urination changes. Also, as the other poster mentioned, ruptured cysts can cause pain as well as infection.

Another possibility would be interstitial cystitis which is difficult to diagnose. I think it is primarily diagnosed by process of elimination (via urology tests). And of course the aforementioned diverticulitis is a possibility although I have not heard of that affecting urination.

Unfortunately, blood work oftentimes doesn't tell us much unless you have an infection in which case you would tend to have an elevated white blood count but you'd likely also have / had a fever. These are possibilities with "itis" conditions. A ruptured ovarian cyst sometimes causes infection.

I had a large ovarian cyst and it was found right away because I had a day of intense pain. Since I never had pelvic pain (besides occasional mild menstrual cramps), I went and saw my long-time gynecologist 4 days later. I had the opposite problem though. Instead of dragging his feet, he was overzealous and I was over-treated and harmed as a result. Since the cyst was large and looked somewhat suspicious (although was more than likely benign since MOST cysts are), he rushed me into surgery. After removing the one ovary and waiting on the frozen section which came back benign while I was still under anesthesia, he proceeded to remove the rest of my female organs which were all perfectly normal - my other ovary, uterus, and tubes. I have been trying to "get my life back" ever since (8 years now).

It seems so hard to get good care. In gynecology there is so much over-treatment (unnecessary hysterectomies and ovary removals) yet the flip side seems to be doctors dragging their feet and not doing the tests needed for proper diagnosis.

I sure hope you get some answers soon and can get this treated. It seems your blood work should be back tomorrow or Tuesday. Mine is usually turned around in a couple of days although some blood tests can take longer than others. Let us know what you find out.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Froodie
(female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

Hello, sorry you're having such troubles. Please tell your doctor to send you for a transvaginal scan, do not take no for an answer. Unfortunately the signs of ovarian cancer can be vague and doctors struggle to recognise the symptoms. Blood tests for ovarian cancer include a CA125, but these tests aren't good for making a diagnosis. I had a normal blood test result, but I have ovarian cancer. Luckily I was referred to an oncology gynaecologist. As he was suspicious about the mass on my left ovary, I had a complete hysterectomy, including ovaries, tubes, uterus, cervix, omentum and removal of a 9cm x 6cm tumour which was attached to my left ovary. This treatment has no doubt saved my life. Do make sure you get that scan, do not delay.

The following user gives a hug of support to Froodie:
WhistleDixie (04-27-2014)
Closed Thread