It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Ovarian Cysts/Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
    browc
    (female)

browc HB User
    Ovarian Cysts/Pain

I have never posted to anything like this before, so I apologize if this gets lengthy. Around November I started having pelvic pain and couldn't really eat very much. I was also nauseous off and on. Over the next couple of months, it seemed as though I kept getting some sort of stomach bug-tired, nauseous, pain. As time has gone on, I don't feel nauseous, but I do have many other symptoms that are always there...pelvic pain, abdominal pain and fullness, fatigue, can't eat-get full quickly and stomach hurts if I eat too much, gas, constipation, irregular periods (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer, sometimes 2x/month-they vary), weight loss. My newest symptom is back pain and occasional pain in upper legs. The pain is always there to some degree. Sometimes it is minimal, other times it is barely tolerable. At times it hurts to walk because of the pain or pressure in the pelvic and abdominal area. It also hurts to lift anything heavy. It is also very hard to get comfortable laying down in bed and sometimes even to sit.

I went to the Dr a couple of weeks ago. She did a complete work up on me. (I should have gone sooner, but just recently got health ins. Plus, I'm not one to run to the Dr over much). She did a pelvic exam, CBC, Ct scan, chest X-ray. The blood work came back fine, as did the chest x-ray. The Ct scan showed that I have a couple of cysts on right ovary. I don't recall the size.

She has referred me to a GI Dr and also a gynecologist. They got me in quickly, both of those appts are next week. I know that cysts are normal for women and can come and go. What concerns me is the length of time I've been feeling bad. It doesn't seem "normal" to me to be in pain for this long, to be this tired or to keep getting worse/getting more symptoms as time goes on. It takes all I have to get through the work day. The more I'm up and around, the worse I hurt and can't do much in the evenings. This is the opposite of how I typically am. I am a very active, busy 39 year old mom of 3. I go, go, go. That's what I do-always! SO, this to me is very troubling and I really don't know what to think. I just feel like there is something more wrong that just a couple of simple, normal cysts.

So sorry this is long, but I don't really know how to sum it up shorter...and just really need to vent! Does anyone have any similar symptoms, stories or suggestions. Words of advice? Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Ovarian Cysts/Pain

It's good you are having this checked out. I had a 9.5cm ovarian cyst but I saw my doctor within a week of experiencing symptoms. I only had one day of pelvic pain but it was constant and intense which was very out of character for me. Due to the size and somewhat suspicious characteristics, I needed surgery. However, my doctor over-treated me causing more harm than good. Even though the cyst was found to be benign while I was still under anesthesia, my gynecologist proceeded to remove the rest of my sex organs (my other ovary, uterus, and tubes). I have been suffering the health and quality of life effects ever since.

So just be aware that female organ removal is grossly overused here in the U.S. If you need surgery, your health is best served by keeping as many organs as possible. Removing parts or performing procedures that disrupt the normal function of our sex organ (reproductive) system can wreak havoc on health and quality of life. The reason I say "sex organ system" is because the uterus, ovaries, and tubes have lifelong non-reproductive functions.

There are surgeons who have cystectomy skills if you need ovarian cyst(s) removed. Of course, if you would have confirmed cancer, then organs may have to be removed. However, only about 2% of sex organ removal surgeries (hysterectomy and oophorectomy) are done for a cancer diagnosis.

I hope your symptoms aren't caused by anything serious. Please let us know what you find out.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
    browc
    (female)

browc HB User
    Re: Ovarian Cysts/Pain

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you had a bad experience. I hope you are doing better now. Hopefully, I find something out soon. I see the GI doctor tomorrow. We'll see how that goes and then find out what the gyno has to say!

Closed Thread

Tags
    ovarian cancer, ovarian cyst, ovarian pain