It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Getting a 32 cm ovarian tumor removed Thursday ... scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
    Soccermom49
    (female)

Soccermom49 HB User
    Getting a 32 cm ovarian tumor removed Thursday ... scared

Hi, I am new to this board. I guess I am looking for some encouragement or success stories. I am 45 years old and at my annual exam a month ago, my Dr noticed a pelvic mass. I wasn't really having what I would call pain, only a feeling of tightness in my abdomen that I just thought meant that I was gaining weight. He thought it was large uterine fibroid, he said it was the size of a canteloupe. When I went for my ultrasound, it was discovered that it was a large ovarian cyst th at measures 32 cm x some other smaller numbers. Of course, now I feel this thing on my ribs and wonder how I could have been so stupid. Anyways, he referred me to a gyn oncologist and said he was very concerned about OC. He also sent me for a CA 125 test and that result was 18, which the gyn oncologist told me was within normal limits. I have no family history of this, was on the pill for at least 10-15 years. Periods have been somewhat abnormal as far as how long they last. My gyn said there was no ascites, but the report indicated that there was a small amount of free flowing fluid, so that concerns me. My biggest worry is for that of my 9 and 11 year old girls, they truly need me, so I will fight as hard as I have to to get through whatever this may be. I feel very confident in my gyn onc, she made me feel much better than my gyn did. One dilemma I have is whether to just remove the tumor and affected ovary, if the tumor is benign, or she mentioned that there is really only a 5% chance of it recurring in the other ovary..but she did say if I never wanted to see her again, then they could take both ovaries and uterus and omentum now. She mentioned estrogen and it's risks. I was originally thinking she should take everything, but have heard that increases the chance of heart disease and stroke, and may also lessen your life ultimately. The gyn onc did feel like this may be a mucinous tumor. The description of its size scares me. Does the fact that my ca125 number is low mean that if this is malignant, then maybe it is early stage and possibly treatable? Also, I think it has been there for at least one year, because I flew two times in the past year and both times got pulled aside and patted down in that area, specifically. Can anyone make me feel better about this? I am trying hard to stay positive, but I walked by the tv and the Roswell park ovarian cancer commercial was on, and other weird things like that keep happening.

Last edited by Soccermom49; 09-28-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Getting a 32 cm ovarian tumor removed Thursday..scared

Just saw your post - I replied to your other one with details of the effects of surgical "menopause" so I will not repeat those here. Since you do not have a family history of ovarian cancer and should have an even lower than normal risk having been on the pill for so long, chances are this is likely benign. An average woman's lifetime risk for ovarian cancer is less than 2% (1.3% per government statistics).

My 9.5 cm cyst was mucinous. My surgeon should have done a cystectomy only and then closed me up when the frozen section came back benign. Instead he proceeded to gut me (uterus, ovaries, tubes). Had I known about the gross overuse of female organ removal, I would have done things very differently, the main one being revising the surgical consent form and having my surgeon sign off on the revisions. I would have specified what could and could not be removed and under what circumstances. If the surgeon balked, I would have gone elsewhere. I also would have done much more research about the lifelong functions of the female organs versus spending so much time researching ovarian cancer (especially since I had no family history). Like you, I was rushed into having surgery and felt very pressured to move forward. I wish I had slowed down the process and done more research and sought out a surgeon who was forthcoming. I trusted mine too much because he had been my doctor for many years.

76% of hysterectomies do not meet ACOG criteria and up to 73% of women (in some areas) lose healthy ovary(ies) during hysterectomy. Robotics seem to be fueling even more unwarranted surgeries but with no benefits and possibly more risks and at higher costs.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
    Soccermom49 (09-29-2014)
    Old 09-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
    Soccermom49
    (female)

Soccermom49 HB User

Thanks so much. I feel better after reading your message.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I hope your surgery goes well tomorrow! Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
    Soccermom49
    (female)

Soccermom49 HB User

Thanks so much. You were very helpfil. I am told that the surgery went well. I had the tumor removed, the affected , and the appendix, because the tumor was a mucinous one. The biopsy is inconclusive at this time. They took over 60 slides bc it was so big. It will take several days to go through the slides. She said that the other ovary, uterus, and lymph glands all looked healthy upon inspecting them. One concerning thing is that there is some sort of problem with the appendix. She found a small nodule, so that is awaiting a biopsy as well. I'm not sure if this will require more treatment, chemo,or what. I am a little frustrated, as I thought I would have a definitive diagnosis my now, but staying positive and I think i am encouraged by the news so far.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glad to hear all went well. I assume by "affected" you meant "affected ovary" and your surgeon left your other ovary and uterus since they looked healthy. I am sorry to hear about your appendix. Hopefully, that nodule will be nothing serious. And hope the mucinous tumor is benign as most are. Be sure to take it easy during the recovery period to minimize chance of complications and adhesions. Keep us posted on how you are doing as well as the biopsy results. And try not to worry (easier said than done of course).

Old 10-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
    Soccermom49
    (female)

Soccermom49 HB User

Thanks again, u are so helpful!!

Closed Thread