It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• 5 years post-AIS and having issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
    jana83
    (female)

jana83 HB User
    5 years post-AIS and having issues

Hi! I'm back here after 4 years. In 2009 I had adenocarcinoma in situ, which was removed via conization with clear margins. I went on to have two pregnancies, so the ob/gyn only did very lights Pap smears, which came up normal. My last Pap was about a year ago, all clear. 2 and a half years ago I got a copper IUD (Gynefix), which caused no problems (until possibly now).

About three months ago I started having abnormal discharge (bloody mucous) and some spotting in-between periods. I initially thought it could be due to ovulation, so I didn't pay it much mind. Then the spotting started getting more frequent and my last period lasted 12 days instead of 7 (normal period + spotting that just wouldn't stop). Now I'm having bloody discharge and some cramping again. I've made an appointment with my ob/gyn for Jan 20th, although I'm considering going in sooner and paying out-of-pocket.

I'm aware that what I'm experiencing could be the symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease or an infection connected to my IUD or even just my body reacting strangely to the IUD and causing the spotting... but it could also be early signs of cervical cancer. From what I've read on adenocarcinoma in situ, it seems to recur in about 15% of women who have had a cone with clear margins (4 years after treatment).

I guess it's wait and see at this point. I doubt that if it is cancer, 3 weeks are going to make much of a difference. But then again, they might... what do you think?
    I would appreciate any words of wisdom, advice or encouragement.
    I'm also curious whether anyone here has had AIS recur (when and how was it discovered? what was the treatment?).

Wishing you all a Happy New Year's celebration with your loved ones!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
    junipersage
    (female)

junipersage HB Userjunipersage HB Userjunipersage HB User
    Re: 5 years post-AIS and having issues

Hi, Jana. From what I've read, women with continued positive hpv results after cone are at greater risk of AIS recurrence than women with negative hpv results. When you did your paps in the last few years, did they repeat your hpv tests as well?

I was unable to get clear margins from my cone biopsy after being diagnosed with AIS, so it was hysterectomy for me. I think you're probably right about a three week wait, but can't blame you for worrying - it's what we do, right? Sending you lots of positive energy and good thoughts while you wait.

The Following User Says Thank You to junipersage For This Useful Post:
    jana83 (01-05-2015)
    Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
    jana83
    (female)

jana83 HB User
    Re: 5 years post-AIS and having issues

Hi Juniper, thank you for responding and for the well-wishes!

My partner managed to bully me into getting an earlier appointment (this Wednesday) despite my having received reassurance from an ob/gyn that yes, three weeks won't make a difference.

My last hpv was negative, I think - I did a complete STD check over a year ago and I specifically had my anus checked for hpv (that came out negative, whew!).

My fear has subsided along with my symptoms, for now. I'm seriously considering asking about hysterectomy. It feels too much like a time bomb just ticking away inside somewhere and I'm done having (biological) children.

Anyway, I'll let you all know how this turns out.

Closed Thread

Tags
    adenocarcinoma in situ, ais, cervical cancer, spotting