It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

One year on ... ovarian cancer diagnosis

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
Froodie
(female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User
One year on ... ovarian cancer diagnosis

One year ago I saw a doctor because I was having abnormal vaginal discharge and some slight bleeding. I had a scan and they found a 9cm x 6xm cyst on my left ovary. I subsequently had surgery to remove the cyst and I had a full hysterectomy and removal of omentum.

The cyst was cancer. I owe my life to the doctors who found it and the operation I had, undoubtedly saved me. I'm cancer free now and things are looking good for me.

Sadly ovarian cancer is not uncommon yet there is no screening test.

Ladies, don't ignore your body. If you have bloating, disturbed periods, abnormal bleeding/discharge, changes in bladder or bowel go and see your doctor. Be guided by them as to the best treatment for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: One year on ... ovarian cancer diagnosis

I am sorry you had ovarian cancer and glad to hear you have been cured! I guess I misunderstood one of your posts or else your prognosis changed since then. Not long after your surgery, you said they only gave you three years and I felt so badly for you. Was that before the pathology report came back? Of did you since have chemo that cured it?

I have also had all my sex organs removed for an ovarian cyst even though I did not have ovarian cancer. So I was obviously over-treated as my gyn should have removed just the cyst or, worst case, the one ovary. Unfortunately, this happens FAR more than it should.

Ovarian cancer is scary but is also RARE with the average woman's lifetime risk being less than 2%. The symptoms can be caused by many other things which does make it difficult to diagnose. Ovarian cysts are one condition that can cause the same symptoms. Thankfully, almost all ovarian cysts are benign (non-cancerous) and most even go away on their own, no surgery needed. Despite this fact, too many women lose their vital healthy organs (ovary/ovaries and/or uterus) when it is unnecessary. And then they are left with the medically documented increased health risks associated with female organ removal.

Women definitely need to see their doctors if they have symptoms. However, they also need to understand that ovarian cancer is RARE and that there are many increased health risks associated with removal of the uterus and/or ovary(ies). In a number of countries, hysterectomy and oophorectomy are grossly overused. For example, in the U.S. only 2% of these surgeries are done for a cancer diagnosis. And about 75% of women lose healthy ovaries (the equivalent of a man's testicles) at the time of hysterectomy. Many women lose an ovary(ies) for benign cysts when all they should need to lose is the cyst.

Just wanted to give a balanced view of this very important health issue. Hope you are doing well!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Froodie
(female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

The only refererence to three years that I can find is this
Quote:
The monitoring is every three months for three years.
As it is I'm to be monitored every six months for now, but this will be for the rest of my life.

I understand that you're bitter about the treatment you had. However it would be far worse if you'd had cancer and they hadn't taken everything. I know someone who this happened to. She's only in her 30s and they just removed the cyst because they thought it wasn't cancer. The trouble is it was. She's had to go back for a hysterectomy but the cancer has spread.

The cancer I had is difficult to diagnose until a sample goes to pathology. I am very happy indeed that they took all my organs as a precautionary measure.

The other thing to remember is that ovarian cancer is known as the “Silent Killer,” too often the cancer goes undiagnosed until the disease is far advanced and has spread throughout the abdomen or to distant organs. It is generally found in women over 50. In many cases, symptoms are very mild or nonexistent.

It's not considered a rare cancer, it's fifth in the ten most common cancers in women.

Last edited by Froodie; 01-08-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I now see my misinterpretation on the "three years." You said you were "offered three years." But that is in regard to monitoring (not life expectancy)!

I agree that an ovarian cancer diagnosis is devastating and it is a travesty especially when under-treated. It so important that women are treated by a gynecologic oncologist (starting with surgery) if there is any chance of ovarian cancer since they are the experts.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-09-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Closed Thread