It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• AGUS pap, Colpo done but worried!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
    Irongal14
    (female)

Irongal14 HB User
    Unhappy AGUS pap, Colpo done but worried!

Hi everyone! I am a 36 year old mom of 4 and last month my normal pap came back showing atypical glandular cells so my doc performed a colposcopy last week. During my normal visit last month I mentioned to her severe hot flashes and painful intercourse but she sort of brushed it under the rug and said she could offer me a low dose birth control to help with the flashes. I had bleeding after my pelvic exam for about 3 days which was a first for me. I mentioned this to her last week during my colpo and she said she felt the lab "over read" my pap and that she thinks I just have an inflamed cervix.
    The acid didn't turn any cells white and my doc performed the ECC and endometrial biopsy. The nurse just called to tell me that the endometrial biopsy was normal but there weren't enough cervical cells to get a clear "picture" so the plan is simply to repeat my pap in 6 months. Am I just being a worry-wart by sitting here feeling like that isn't good enough? I have a family history of various cancers including brain, lung, thyroid, and colon and I really don't feel like she's giving the proper attention to my care! I am really considering getting a second opinion from a gynecological oncologist but I don't know if maybe I am just letting my emotions get the best of me.

Any insight or suggestions are so greatly appreciated, I'm just want some peace of mind with my health and I don't think my doctor is giving that to me. Thanks for reading!

The following user gives a hug of support to Irongal14:
    Froodie (01-13-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: AGUS pap, Colpo done but worried!

Abnormal pap smears are not always an indication of something serious. But of course, sometimes they are. If you are not comfortable with your care, seek another opinion.

I wish I had sought out more opinions when I developed an ovarian cyst. But my 20 years of history with my gynecologist clouded my judgment. I also mistakenly trusted the oncologist to whom he sent me for consultation. As a result, I ended up being over-treated and lost all my sex organs (uterus and ovaries - castration) for a benign ovarian cyst.

Do yourself a favor and listen to your intuition and research your condition and treatment options once you have a "diagnosis." And keep in mind that doctors as well as pathologists have various levels of experience as well as ethics.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 AM   #3
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Irongal14 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am a 36 year old mom of 4 and last month my normal pap came back showing atypical glandular cells so my doc performed a colposcopy last week. During my normal visit last month I mentioned to her severe hot flashes and painful intercourse but she sort of brushed it under the rug and said she could offer me a low dose birth control to help with the flashes. I had bleeding after my pelvic exam for about 3 days which was a first for me. I mentioned this to her last week during my colpo and she said she felt the lab "over read" my pap and that she thinks I just have an inflamed cervix.
    The acid didn't turn any cells white and my doc performed the ECC and endometrial biopsy. The nurse just called to tell me that the endometrial biopsy was normal but there weren't enough cervical cells to get a clear "picture" so the plan is simply to repeat my pap in 6 months. Am I just being a worry-wart by sitting here feeling like that isn't good enough? I have a family history of various cancers including brain, lung, thyroid, and colon and I really don't feel like she's giving the proper attention to my care! I am really considering getting a second opinion from a gynecological oncologist but I don't know if maybe I am just letting my emotions get the best of me.

Any insight or suggestions are so greatly appreciated, I'm just want some peace of mind with my health and I don't think my doctor is giving that to me. Thanks for reading!
    Peace of mind is so important. I kept having discharge and abnormal bleeding, which was brushed off by my GP as menopause. I was worried so kept going back. Eventually I was referred for an ultrasound scan and an MRI a scan, which showed a cyst on my left ovary. This turned out to be cancer. I had my surgery a year ago and they saved my life by removing the tumour and all my reproductive organs. I am well now.

If you are worried seek a second opinion. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let us know how you get on.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
    tamamill
    (female)

tamamill HB User

I am 52 years old and had my first abnormal pap of Atypical Glandular cells last year. My gyn performed an endometrial biopsy and colposcopy...both negative. I referred myself to a gyn/oncologist who performed a cone biopsy...again negative. I was due for a colonoscopy, and since I had read that this can be an indicator of cancer elsewhere, including the digestive tract, I had my colonoscopy shortly after. It showed a mucinous polyp at the tip of my appendix and when I had my appendectomy, it was discovered that I had appendix cancer...mucinous adenocarcinoma of the appendix. Gyn/oncologist agrees that the cells on my pap could have been a result of this. I am going on surgery number 3 for this now. My advice...take this seriously. Read the Bethesda study on AGUS/AGC. Many doctors, including ob/gyn's don't know enough about this or take it seriously enough. It is a very uncommon result of a pap smear. An article on OBmanagement website says this

"Details of the study

Schnatz and colleagues reviewed 3,890 Pap tests that had a finding of atypical glandular cells of undetermined significance (AGUS), for which follow-up details were available.

They found these rates of pathology:

8.5% low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions (LSIL)

11.1% high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions (HSIL)

2.9% adenocarcinoma in situ

1.4% endometrial hyperplasia

5.2% malignancy, The distribution of cancers was:

57.6% endometrial adenocarcinoma

23.6% cervical adenocarcinoma

6.4% ovarian and fallopian tube carcinoma

5.4% squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix

6.9% other cancer"

There are many articles referencing the Bethesda finding and other studies that indicate not to take this result lightly. And that aggressive followup is indicated. Some of my doctors confused the AGUS finding with ASCUS, which is more common. It is not the same.

Hope maybe this info helps.

Closed Thread

Tags
    agus, colposcopy, ecc