It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Possible Symptoms of Cervical Cancer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2015, 01:55 AM   #1
    marykedb
    (female)

marykedb HB User
    Possible Symptoms of Cervical Cancer?

Hi Everyone!

I have been having some concerning symptoms of possible cervical cancer. In my entire life (I am 25) I have only had one pap smear and it was done 6 years ago (which is way too long ago I know). I have made an appointment for next week but needless to say I am a bit freaked out to say the least.

I had an appendectomy in December, so before hand they did a CT contrast scan as well as x-rays in order to determine what was wrong. So basically I was wondering if they would have picked up if I had cervical cancer? Or would the scan have been too specific and/or too close up?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
    junipersage
    (female)

junipersage HB Userjunipersage HB Userjunipersage HB User
    Re: Possible Symptoms of Cervical Cancer?

Your CT scan would be unlikely to pick up cervical cancer unless it was very advanced. I'm not sure what your symptoms are but many cervical cancer symptoms are non-specific and can be caused by other benign conditions. So no need to panic, but good for you for getting in for an exam. Hopefully it will come back all clear. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Possible Symptoms of Cervical Cancer?

I just want to echo that symptoms of cervical cancer can mimic those of benign conditions. So there is no need to panic. Also, don't beat yourself up over missing pap smear(s). The current guidelines say they should be done every 3 years beginning at age 21. Of course, any abnormalities would require more frequent testing. But even abnormal paps are oftentimes caused by benign (and even harmless) conditions.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cervical cancer, ct scan contrast, ct scan with contrast