It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Benign Colon Cancer

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
PKT
(male)

PKT HB User
Post Benign Colon Cancer

I am a happy 73 yr old man who has recently been diagnosed with Early Stage Colon Cancer. I also have bad back, an enlarged prostate, a common iliac aneurysm and an abnormal stress test. But I am content and on occasion enjoy making love to my wife. My problem is that I do NOT want to undergo MAJOR Colon Cancer surgery to evaluate my lymph nodes which appear fine on a CT scan. The Am Cancer Society cites 5 year survival rates (90%) after surgery but does not give a number if one opts not to have the recommended surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Benign Colon Cancer

Hello PKT

There is no such thing as Benign Cancer. Either it is Malignant (Cancerous) or it is benign (not).

The great news is if they caught this early enough, it is actually curable! You stated it is early stage. I would have to assume that with surgery, this is in that window. You do not want to miss an opportunity to be cured....colon cancer isn't what usually kills a person. Colon Cancer spreads- very slowly- to all the other organs in the body and usually the spine...it is a horrible way to die as the cancer attacks vital organs which eventually shut down and death incurs.

The statistics you read were for people who have their colon re-sectioned and the cancer is not able to be removed...if your cancer is early stage as you said, there is a very good chance they can get it all and you will live a much longer healthy life. I would speak with your Oncologist, your GI doctor and whomever else is giving you this diagnosis and ask for specifics. Do not try to read about this on your own until you know exactly what stage this is, and where you stand. Finding out how they will do the surgery and what their expected outcomes is would be helpful.

I am sorry to hear you have to go through this. But, I would consider you very lucky...many people do not bother to find out until it is too late to do anything. I lost my father, grandfather and grandmother as well as 3 other relatives to Colon Cancer and it's metastasized tumors over the past few years.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-25-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
PKT
(male)

PKT HB User

Hi
Thank you for replying.
I have several weeks to decide before having a scheduled surgery
The surgeon is competent but appeared to be too eager to sign me up
I'm a retired engineer and need to convince myself that I'm not being hustled.
The colonoscopy tumor specimen was graded "Low" by a pathologist and a CT scan showed wall thickness but no spreading to lymph nodes.
Whereas rapid tumor growth could result in colon blockage
I'm trying to understand normal colon cells become cancerous.
Stains for heredity colon cancer were negative and my CEA was <0.5ng/ml
I'm searching for an oncologist who is not invested in "clinical trials."
Once again thanks for your concern.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear PKT,

My question is why are you so suspicious? I avoid surgeries if at all possible. But not when my life is at stake.

Colon cancer is a definite killer that is to be taken seriously. A low grade report is a Godsend. It means that you are a great candidate for getting all of the cancer removed and avoiding a slow death from spreading cancer, which used to be the only option. And it used to be that even after surgery that people still didn't survive. Doctors know much more about how to best handle colon cancer these days than they used to.

If you think surgeons benefit from the cost of the surgery, of course they do. They also have sky high business costs such as insurance, etc, because of the dangerous field of work they are in. I have never met a surgeon that was in it for the money (yes I have met many surgeons and have had many surgeries due to my own health issues). There are much easier and less risky ways to make money.

Whatever you do, take the colon cancer seriously and allow the doctors to treat it aggressively. Don't wait for it to spread. If you do that you can be sure it won't be an "oops" event. If you value the time with your wife don't risk your life over unfounded suspicion that surgeons are out there to rob you of your fortunes! Trust the doctors that they know which type of cancers must be handled aggressively.

Of course a surgeon will get a financial benefit. They deserve to be paid, for goodness sake! My husband is a retired jet engine engineer, but being an engineer isn't a reason to suspect surgeons are pushing colon cancer surgery for the money.

Let us know what you decide. But please don't encourage others to question whether they need surgery for colon cancer! First of all you know nothing of their true circumstances and secondly, you don't know how aggressive the cancer is that you have in your own body.

You can get more medical opinions by doctors/surgeons outside your medical group so you have peace of mind, but do the right thing.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
PKT
(male)

PKT HB User

Ya ya Girl
Thanks for writing.
It appears that Surgery is recommended for any colon growth > 2 cm polyp
I will most likely go for the surgery and hope I come out no less for wear.
Current medical protocol requires major surgery to determine whether or not a
colon growth is benign or malignant.

Last edited by PKT; 05-26-2017 at 01:33 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to PKT:
YaYagirl (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear PKT,

You're welcome PKT!

It may encourage you to know that it just so happens that last week my brother had to have a growth in his colon removed. It saved his life. He was told that the colon has no nerves and is just a tube, so the surgery discomfort was minor (with pain relievers of course), and he was home on the third day. Needed to rest a lot but that was last week and this week he is back at work, doing fine. His growth was not malignant and had only a 2% risk of becoming malignant, but those need removed regardless.

I hope this encourages you. I know these situations can be so distressing to go through, but try to relax through the process. The more you relax the less pain you will have and the faster you will heal.

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 06-03-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
PKT
(male)

PKT HB User

What procedure was used to remove your brother's colon growth ?
My surgeon is planning to do "a Laparoscopic subtotal colectomy" which is a MAJOR 3-4 hour operation and requires up to a weeks hospital stay.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #8
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

PKT, they performed the laparoscopic subtotal colostomy. They had to give him a transfusion afterward because the tumor had been 'sucking' his blood. He was released from the hospital the third day from checking in. But his doctor knows him very well and the doctor called him every day for awhile.

The surgery took a lot out of him, so he did lay low at home and follow the doctor's orders.

Reply Reply