It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Foods to eat during and after chemo

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-16-2017, 01:34 AM   #1
    Patomott
    (male)

Patomott HB User
    Foods to eat during and after chemo

Hi All,

This is my first posting a thread for my personal experience with chemo and cancer. A lil back story... in early August of this head I felt bloated and had pain in my lower side. After almost a week I went to the urgent to get checked out. After my CT scan was completed the Urgent care Dr looked at my scan got a second opinion from the surgeon onsite at the time and from there they decided to admit me into the hospital. Iím that was on a weds and the following Friday I had surgery. They removed my appendix, my cecum along with a 5cm x 6cm tumor.

About a week after being discharged I, I had a follow up. I had heard from the dr and they told me that no news was good news so you could image my surprise when the nurse told me she could give me my results and had to contact the surgeon. A couple minutes later he came in and told me that the tumor came back malignant.

I didnít know what to think At the time nor did I know how to process it.

I had an Oncology appt a few weeks later. She told me that they removed lymph nodes and out of the 7 or so they moved the cancer had spread to one of them. My diagnosis is stage 3 colon cancer.

From there she told me treatment plans and that I needed to get a colonoscopy and a genetic test done. My colonoscopy came back good no polyps etc. my genetic testing however came back positive for Lunch Syndrome.

To be honest this has been a very long, draining, confusing, and stressful 3 months. I told my family and friends and could not have asked for a better support system. And my I honestly couldnít have done most of it with out Eddie, he has been such a support and amazing partner. Iím also extremely great full for my friend Lisa, she has been there for all my chemo appointments

Which now brings me to my original question for this thread.....

Iíve now completed treatment number 4 out of 12. I am having problems finding foods to eat. I am following a plant based diet (family term for ďveganĒ). No meat dairy or soy etc. nothing fried no fast food. Prior to starting treatment I was doing great and actually enjoying my plant foods haha.

My chemo makes it hard for food to digest. I was advised to stay away from foods with high fiber, fried, fresh fruits and veggies and nothing cold so I canít even have a juice or smoothie which is what I crave This is pretty much the basis of my plant based diet. Since chemo, Iíve ate lean chicken and tuna becuase after 4 days of not eating it was a sure way to get Protein.

Itís very contradicting, they Advise to eat meats and dairy while on chemo, however there are studies and documentaries linking animal products to certain cancers.

If anyone can please give me some feed back or advise on what they ate that would be great.

Thanks all I really appreciate any feedback.

-Nick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply