It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Grandmother died at age 36 when should I be screened?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
cburkey716
(male)

cburkey716 HB User
Grandmother died at age 36 when should I be screened?

Hey all,
I have been having minor first symptoms, no bleeding just stool changes. My grandmother died at the age of 36 to colon cancer. My mother has been screened at age 50 and never had anything. Just wondering which age I should be screened? I am 19
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2018, 04:32 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Grandmother died at age 36 when should I be screened?

Hello there. I feel for you. Both of my grandparents, my father and 3 other relatives died of colon cancer in my family. Its scary! I started getting screened at age 25; however, I never had any symptoms (like you describe).

My best advice to you since you are over 18 is to make an appointment with a GI doctor and talk to them about their opinion. You are not too young to have your first colonoscopy and since you are having symptoms, it might be worthwhile to get a baseline now. Colon Cancer is one of the slowest growing cancers and it is completely curable if found in time (before it spreads) but you won't know if you have any precancerous polyps unless you get checked.

Try to find a young doctor- someone who is up on the latest screening regulations. In my experience, I have found that the younger doctors are allot more "on top of things' than the ones who have been in practice for years. I found mine by asking around. I used social media to ask for referrals, I also saw two doctors before I picked the one I felt the most comfortable with. Fast forward it has been over 25 years since my first colonoscopy and I go back every 3 years to be screened., They have never found anything to worry about- but I like knowing that if they do, it wont be too late.

I hope this helps!

Old 06-29-2018, 07:19 AM   #3
cburkey716
(male)

cburkey716 HB User

Thanks for your reply, my mother and father as well as my doctor have advised due to it being a slow cancer I wait until I am 20-25 to be checked for anything (unless symptoms worsen) I only have the stool changes but I'm not the best at eating healthy. I should practice that

Old 06-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

In addition to seeing a doctor, have you given any thought to making dietary changes that may help prevent cancer? I am on such a diet myself as a result of so many in my family having had various forms of cancer.

What's recommended is a plant based diet that's high in antioxidants and fiber. Avoid saturated fats and highly processed fast-foods, especially baked goods made with white flour and sugar.

You don't have to get something just because it runs in your family. A genetic predisposition generally has to be triggered by something regarding lifestyle.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-29-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Absolutely you should be concerned and seek discussion with a GI, and request a colonoscopy with biopsies. Do NOT let anyone talk you out of having one because you are young.

Do you know what kind of cancer your grandmother had?

q

Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
cburkey716
(male)

cburkey716 HB User

quincy

Good evening,
The symptoms have been around for about a month, I have a doctor's appointment Monday and will hear what he says. She had colon cancer, but by the the time she went to a doctor it was in her liver and was too late, she neglected going to doctor for bloody stool for months up to almost a year.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
cburkey716
(male)

cburkey716 HB User

Absolutely you should be concerned and seek discussion
As far as which type of colon cancer I am unsure.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-29-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Let us know the outcome of your appointment on Monday.
Do you have siblings?

q

Old 06-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
cburkey716
(male)

cburkey716 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Let us know the outcome of your appointment on Monday.
Do you have siblings?

q
I will. And yes I have two brothers, both of which have never shown symptoms.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

You all should be screened.....just because for a good baseline at a young age. This is just my opinion, of course. Colon cancer happens in progression of cell changes, sometimes polyps, sometimes not....etc.
If your grandmother had siblings, and their children havent been checked, one doesn't know where the gene lies, and let's face it.....not many people talk about butt troubles or even thinks that there are family genetics at play.

I commend you bigtime to be enquiring.....best to be tested and go from there.

Yes, I know of a family with colon cancer history and mother and son deaths. After the son's death in his 20s, all his siblings, his and their children were checked. Only his daughter was positive cells....her colon was removed at age 15. Their families down the line will have to be screened as well because of early cancer activity and metastasis type.

Please let us know how the appointment goes.

q

Reply Reply