It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Afraid i might have colon cancer

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #16
    filly1
    (female)

filly1 HB User
    Re: Afraid i might have colon cancer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Hi there. the good news is that it was a pedunculated polyp. If it wasn't it could have been missed as the other types are flat...

You should have answers very shortly as it usually only takes a day or two to get these biopsied. You will get a call as soon as they know I am sure.

Please come back and let us know the results. In the meantime, now that you were able to get all of that out of you from the prep, do you feel better physically? I always do the day after my colonoscopy.
    Yes I do feel better after having my colon cleaned out ---

Still waiting for the results of the biopsy----i guess it will take another day or so. I wonder though, i never asked my doctor about this since i was in a daze from the anesthesia, would i have any problem pooping due to the trauma of having the polyp removed. I know it is minimally invasive procedure, but they still have to remove it with a hot snare and cauterize the area. I have terrible constipation for which i do take a large amount of magnesium but i was wondering if i would have a problem having a BM after removal of the polyp.

I don't know if you have any idea about this or not but thanks for your response to my postings - it really is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #17
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You should not have a problem pooping after the removal. This is done thousands of times a day; the removal method with the cauterization should simply leave a tiny scar on the colon; not big enough to block anything moving through- and should not bleed once it has been cauterized.

Make sure you are up and walking around as much as possible to both get things going and to help dissipate the gas inside you.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #18
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear filly1,

After a colonoscopy, it's totally normal for some of us that we need to get our bowels back in balance. For some of us it is not quick or easy.

Magnesium had stopped helping me, too, after my colonoscopy. It is not unusual that some of us do need to take extra measures to get back to normal after a colon cleansing. Remember, a colonoscopy clears out everything including healthy digestive flora from the body. Everyone's body reacts differently. Most may have no problem, but some of us do.

As I had mentioned, taking magnesium was all I had needed before the colonoscopy, but did not help me at all after. Weeks later I still had to take Phillips laxative every night.

To resolve this, my endocrinologist suggested that I take daily prebiotics and probiotics and licorice drops (60 drops a day in water - got the drops from a health food store. no, not the same as eating American licorice.) and it took a few weeks but my bowels are pretty much normal now...for me. I occasionally still need to use Phillips laxative at night.

Last edited by yayagirl; 12-19-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #19
    filly1
    (female)

filly1 HB User

Hi: i got the results back from the path report: the path diagnosis is tubulovillous adenoma with high grade dysplasia. From what i can gather, this means the cellular structure is abnormal, but no cancer: i have to get another colonoscopy in 3 years.
    It is clear to me that if i did not have the polyp removed when i did, i was on my way to having it turn to cancer.---- I also have to say the test was not nearly as awful as
    i expected. I was so stupid for waiting 3 1/2 years after having rectal bleeding to have the test. I thought, oh it's just a hemorrhoid, no big deal. very very foolish thinking. I dodgeda bullet that is for sure.

I want to thank those of you who cared enough to respond to my posts: it is so appreciated. Your thoughts and comments helped me to get that test.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Very happy to hear that it was nothing serious...nothing life threatening anyway. Yes, colonoscopies are LIFE SAVING procedures and usually the only people who get Colon Cancer are those who don't get screened.

After burying half my family, I am not one of those people! I go every 2.5- 3 years and dont even mind it anymore...as long as I am not worried about the what ifs- of NOT going, I can deal with 24 hours of hunger pains and a bad night of prep!

I hope you feel much better with this news and its the beginning of understanding how important screenings are! Now you can tell everyone you know "just do it" because its really not that bad!

Hugs and Happy Holidays!

Last edited by MSNik; 12-20-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:15 AM   #21
    filly1
    (female)

filly1 HB User

You really do have a serious family history of colon cancer-- you are very wise to have those periodic colonoscopies. What is most interesting about colon cancer is that if a person gets screened you can prevent cancer or catch it very early. it is so simple really. i had rectal bleeding , even on one occasion had rectal hemorrhaging and still did not get the test. I self diagnosed: i told myself it was only a hemmorhoid--- I was talking to this lady friend of mine- she is 80 something now and she has never had a colonoscopy; i advised her to get one. she probably won't.

I thought once the polyp came out some of the symptoms i had would get better but it hasn't changed those things. Obviously the important thing is getting that nasty
    polyp out of there.

Hoping you have a very merry Xmas and a happy and healthy new year.

Reply Reply