It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Colon cancer spread to liver stage 4

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
    marip1
    (female)

marip1 HB User
    Colon cancer spread to liver stage 4

My brother age 70 years old was recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer which has spread to his liver. His doctor is not planning on removing the tumor in the colon just chemo. Is this the usual protocol when colon cancer has spread to the liver?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Colon cancer spread to liver stage 4

Sorry to hear about your brother.
    I suspect that if it would depend on what kind of cancer regarding its behaviour, rate of spread and survival.

I need to ask if you have had a c-scope and screened for colon cancer?

Hugs,
    q

Old 08-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
    marip1
    (female)

marip1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Sorry to hear about your brother.
    I suspect that if it would depend on what kind of cancer regarding its behaviour, rate of spread and survival.

I need to ask if you have had a c-scope and screened for colon cancer?

Hugs,
    q

It's my brother that has the cancer and no he never had a colonoscopy.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Colon cancer is very much prevalent in families...my father, grandparents and brother all had colon cancer. I started getting colonoscopies at age 25... I have one every 3 years.

If your brother has colon cancer, you definitely want to visit a GI doctor and discuss your risks and start being screened.

I am sorry for your brothers condition.....this is avoidable by having colonoscopies after age 50; or before if there is family history.

You asked about protocol; stage 4 is very late stage; there is not allot they can do for him other than try to shrink the tumors with chemo. I hope they are successful.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marip1 View Post
    It's my brother that has the cancer and no he never had a colonoscopy.

It is you I'm curious about...i strongly urge you to have a scope and be screened based on the fact your brother has recently been diagnosed with advanced stage bowel cancer.

q

Old 08-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #6
    marip1
    (female)

marip1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Colon cancer is very much prevalent in families...my father, grandparents and brother all had colon cancer. I started getting colonoscopies at age 25... I have one every 3 years.

If your brother has colon cancer, you definitely want to visit a GI doctor and discuss your risks and start being screened.

I am sorry for your brothers condition.....this is avoidable by having colonoscopies after age 50; or before if there is family history.

You asked about protocol; stage 4 is very late stage; there is not allot they can do for him other than try to shrink the tumors with chemo. I hope they are successful.
    I had a colonoscopy done a couple years ago. No polyps were found. My question to you why do you go every 3 years? Were polyps found?

Old 08-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

When there is a strong family history (first relative (like your brother or my father) or grandparents, they want to screen you more often. I have never had a polyp- but they take no chances.

Colon Cancer is 100% preventable but ONLY when they find it before it spreads- and going every 3 years guarantees that they can do this...even if they were to find something, it would be small enough to remove and highly unlikely to have spread at that size...

Id rather have the inconvenience of a colonoscopy, even with the prep, then to find out I have colon cancer! Ill go every 3 years if thats what it takes. I also have upper endoscopies every 3 years at the same time... this type of cancer can be found in the upper GI area as well as the lower.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
    marip1
    (female)

marip1 HB User

I didn't know if you have a family history of colon cancer you should have a colonoscopy done more frequently. I'll mention this to my sister. She had her last colonoscopy also a couple years ago. Now that our brother has colon cancer our go every few years.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think that's a very good idea.
    q

Reply Reply