It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Stage IV colon cancer survivors ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
    futuresurvivor

futuresurvivor HB User
    Stage IV colon cancer survivors ?

Anyone here with spots on liver or lung but no signs of active disease? I had ct tuesday a spot still shows on my liver and swollen node on one lung. Dr. says it could be scar tissue from the tumors. I had 4 on my liver. He said it looks good and for me to keep doing what ever i've been doing. He didn't say i'm in remission but CEA is 3.5 and ct results have been the same for the last 5 months . I am sooooo excited over this. Does this mean remission? I feel healthier than I have in years. I took chemo for 6 months 5fu/leuc/cpt-11 and clinical trial vaccine ALVAC. If the vaccine works the cancer won't come back. Has anyone else had this vaccine?

I'm a 40 year old female dx Nov.2002

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 07:47 AM   #2
    tillyden
    (female)

tillyden HB User
    Re: Stage IV colon cancer survivors ?

I'm a 40 year old female dx Nov.2002[/QUOTE]
    I am glad to hear that you have done so well. It is nice to hear good news. What stage did they put your cancer, and did you have problems with side affect to the chemo? best wishes , Djdenw

Old 03-30-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
    LABWS99

LABWS99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by futuresurvivor
    Anyone here with spots on liver or lung but no signs of active disease? I had ct tuesday a spot still shows on my liver and swollen node on one lung. Dr. says it could be scar tissue from the tumors. I had 4 on my liver. He said it looks good and for me to keep doing what ever i've been doing. He didn't say i'm in remission but CEA is 3.5 and ct results have been the same for the last 5 months . I am sooooo excited over this. Does this mean remission? I feel healthier than I have in years. I took chemo for 6 months 5fu/leuc/cpt-11 and clinical trial vaccine ALVAC. If the vaccine works the cancer won't come back. Has anyone else had this vaccine?

Which vaccine is it your taking, my mother recently had a tumor remover from her liver and diagnosed with stage 4. she still has 2 spots on her liver about the size of a nickle and is currently undergoing chemo. she is 49 years old. She is taking a vaccine now that is like what you are taking not sure which one. You were only on chemo for 6 months? have you gone into remission yet? Sounds like my mom and you have the same situation. I would like to know how your doing now and if you and her do have the same thing.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
    futuresurvivor

futuresurvivor HB User

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm doing fine, thank you for asking. Wow, they removed a tumor from her liver? My dr.wouldn't touch mine. He said there were too many.
    Yes only 6 months of chemo and no radiation for me. The vaccine I took was ALVAC/CEA. I went for a CT 3 weeks ago no activity and bone scan was clear . I believe faith, a positive attitude and taking care of yourself is really important in this battle. I think about this...if nobody were surviving stage IV the fatality rate would be 100% and it isn't. Tell her not to give up and keep her life as normal as possible. Do things when she feels like it and rest when she needs to. I learned that dust and dishes will still be there when you feel better. I will keep her and you in my prayers

Old 03-31-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
    LABWS99

LABWS99 HB User

She will be getting her first scan in may to see how the chemo is doing. But no doctor or chemo will save her, only god will and he is going to work his magic on her i know it. but she is taking it rough and has alot of questions. thank you for ur prayers and thoughts, its greatly appreiciated and she is a strong woman and will beat this. its just a rough road to take, and the chemo is what wears her down so we will keep the faith. Ill be sure to keep you in my prayers as well. take care.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-01-2004 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-19-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by futuresurvivor

Dear Stage IV Survivor:

What about a PET Scan to determine if the spots are really cancer--or spots, scar tissue, shadows, etc.? A PET will be more accurate and able to tell you what cells are abnormal. I am a 31 year old male dx 9/03 stage IIIC rectal cancer survivor-- pre-op chemo and radiation and still have 6 months post-op chemo ahead. Oncologist was really disappointed that I had 6/10 positive nodes post-op even with the Oxaliplatin/Leucovorin/5FU and Radiation I received. I am about to start the Saltz regimen, after my Ileostomy is reversed this week. Good Luck to you!! Just a suggestion with the PET--- I'm sure you probably already considered it.

Closed Thread