It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• I am 49, female and bleeding from rectum.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User
    I am 49, female and bleeding from rectum.

Two weekends ago I experienced a night of severe cramping and first constipation and then diahrea. The next monring there was a lot of blood during 2 more bouts with diahrea. I have had the same type of pain and constipation then diahrea symptions before but I have never had that much blood. I made an appt with my family doctor who referred me to a gastroenterologist. I have an appt. next wednesday for the colonscopy and another at the beginning of next month to do the test to see if my esphagus is alright.

After reading some of the threads on this forum I am feeling very panicky and scared. I had been telling myself that it was probably hemorriods because it was red blood and now I realize that is not always the case.

My mother had polyps removed in her early 70's and had ovarian cancer when she died after sugery from a blood clot at 77.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated as I really fee quite panicked now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
    L-Town

L-Town HB User
    Post Re: I am 49, female and bleeding from rectum.

Hi,

First of all, your doing the right thing by going to the gastro doc. He'll be able to tell you exatcly what's up. You may just have a fissure, or hemmeroids so try to stay calm. There are other reasons for bleeding that have nothing to do with cancer. I hope everything checks out ok for you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

L-Town

Old 04-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #3
    kellie2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kellie2 HB User
    Re: I am 49, female and bleeding from rectum.

Oh sweetie, please don't think the worse. What you are experiencing can be anything, and from the things I have read, most of the time it is not cancer. You may have one of those bowel disorders you read about on here, such as Crohns or colitis....which honestly to me, that's what your symptoms sound more like, especially with the pain. Your symptoms could also be caused by diverticulitis. All of these have every symptom you're complaining of, especially the pain and bleeding. The colonoscopy will tell your doctor for sure what is wrong, but when I was reading your post, 'cancer' wasn't what jumped out at me.....ulcerative colitis or diverticulitis did. Just try not to think the worse (I know it's hard but try) and know that we're thinking of you. Please post back and let us know how everything turns out, ok? You take care.

Old 04-11-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Thanks to the both of you for your words of reassurance. I really do appreciate them. I also appreciate your prayers. I had the dates wrong for the doctors appointment and will not be having the colon exam until the 20th. I find waiting to be the hardest part as I am sure a lot of people do. Thanks again, I know I have a tendancy to think the worse. Your kind words have eased my mind some.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:19 AM   #5
    michaelfloyd
    (male)

michaelfloyd HB User

i have ulcerative colitis and i had the symptoms you mentioned. i would wake up in the middle of the night with really bad cramps and have to run to the bathroom. i also had a lot of blood. now i'm on asacol and that's been keeping it under control. no more cramps, no more blood = happy me.

anyway, my point is... i was scared out of my mind, as you are, that it was cancer but it wasn't. as has been said, there are pleanty of other conditions that produce these symptoms. my advice to you is to not let yourself get on the internet and read all of this stuff... i regretted it when i did it and it just makes the wait that much harder. you will find out soon enough what it is... no need to stress yourself out even more by reading about worst case scenerios on the internet.

hopefully you'll find out it isn't anything too serious. please keep us updated.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:03 AM   #6
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Thanks, michaelfloyd. You have just described what I am doing perfectly! A little knowledge can be a scary thing. I am so glad to hear that your ulcerative colitis is under control. Do you have to monitor you diet also or is the medication the sole reason for your recovery?

Old 04-15-2004, 01:48 AM   #7
    michaelfloyd
    (male)

michaelfloyd HB User

well... certain foods make my stomach hurt a bit... mostly spicy and/or salty stuff... which kind of sucks because i love spicy and salty stuff. but my doctor told me that there isn't anything you CAN'T eat with UC... but certain foods may make your symptoms worse... and those foods vary from person to person.

mine is apparently early and located in the sigmoid colon... so i really haven't had much trouble with it... but i'm mostly worried about the possible problems i may have as i get older (i'm 24 now). but i guess it's kind of pointless to worry about that right now... so i'm just taking it one day at a time.

there is no cure for UC (aside from complete removal of the colon), so i'll be on these meds for the rest of my life... but that's a small price to pay i think. the thing that really sucks is i don't have health insurance, so i'm paying a ton of money every month for this medicine. i tried to buy insurance but they tell me they won't cover my meds because it's a "pre-existing condition"... that really makes me mad.

good luck with your exam. i hope everything turns out ok, please keep us posted.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #8
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

michaelfloyd, sorry to hear about your insurance situation. Your very right being on medication for the rest of your life is a small price to pay if it makes the quality of your life so much better though.

I am having the colon exam tomorrow and will be post with the results as soon as I get them. Thanks for the good wishes. I appreciate them and I reciprocate.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
    Bobby1111

Bobby1111 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KareFree
    Two weekends ago I experienced a night of severe cramping and first constipation and then diahrea. The next monring there was a lot of blood during 2 more bouts with diahrea. I have had the same type of pain and constipation then diahrea symptions before but I have never had that much blood. I made an appt with my family doctor who referred me to a gastroenterologist. I have an appt. next wednesday for the colonscopy and another at the beginning of next month to do the test to see if my esphagus is alright.

After reading some of the threads on this forum I am feeling very panicky and scared. I had been telling myself that it was probably hemorriods because it was red blood and now I realize that is not always the case.

My mother had polyps removed in her early 70's and had ovarian cancer when she died after sugery from a blood clot at 77.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated as I really fee quite panicked now.
    I too had the same thing you had - there was so much blood - thought the worst - went for a colonoscopy and it turned it out be internal as well as external hemorriods. Get the test done and let us know how you are doing..

Old 04-22-2004, 12:33 AM   #10
    michaelfloyd
    (male)

michaelfloyd HB User

hey KareFree, you said you were having the exam on the 20th... so i'm just posting to see how it went.

edit: oh nevermind, i just saw the other thread you made... i will post there.

Last edited by michaelfloyd; 04-22-2004 at 12:34 AM.

Closed Thread