It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Colonoscopy next week...nervous

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2004, 06:51 AM   #1
    swtevnbrz
    (female)

swtevnbrz HB User
    Colonoscopy next week...nervous

Hi all,

I have a history of gastrointestinal problems for most of my adult life. Reflux, ulcers, constipation, diarhhea. Recently I have been having both constip[ation and diarhhea with some stomach cramping and lots of gas. I also have blood in my stool and sometimes alot in the toilet after a BM. My internist has referred me for a colonoscopy next week. I am a bit nervous , as I also feel a small lump in my abdomen. It is about where the transverse colon would be located. Of course my imagination is working overtime. Any words of encouragement or personal experince with these same issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 07:17 AM   #2
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User
    Re: Colonoscopy next week...nervous

Hi:

Did you get scheduled for the colonoscopy yet-- or just the gastroenterologist consultation-- usu. takes place a week or so prior to the actual colonoscopy. Nonetheless, DON'T WORRY! A colonoscopy is really no big deal. It's the prep part that is a pain (NOT Painful-- just a nusiance). The Fleet phosphosoda is the worst part-- use plenty of baby diaper ointment and that will help prevent soreness associated with the diarrhea. The colonoscopy part is literally 5 minutes or so-- a little more or less if they take biopsies (which you don't feel). They will give you some nice drugs (through an IV) to make you loopy and basically have a groggy memory of the whole experience.

Take it from me... a 31 year old male who has been probed more times than I'd like to admit.. having a colonscopy was the easiest part. I was, unfortunately, subsequently dx with Stage IIIC Rectal Cancer.

But, sounds like your pain and bleeding are higher up which could be a lot of things-- Chrohns, Colitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome with hemmorhoids, etc. Remember, anywhere along the colon will most likely become inflamed if something is going on-- and the more you palpate, the more inflamed it becomes-- possibly the "lump" you feel?? Did your internist feel the lump? I wouldn't stress over it.

I would try to sit back and relax (I know, easier said than done!) until after the colonoscopy is completed. You are definitely doing the right thing getting one, and will be relieved when it's over.

Best of luck to you. Please let us know what/if they discover anything.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

I am having one tomorrow so today I am drinking Colyte. It tastes horrible but it isn't intolerable. The waiting for the tests is what I find hardest but I am probably not the only one who feels that way. I will have to wait until the 6th of next month for the endoscopy and then perhaps I will get some answers. Good luck to you. I know it is hard to wait without being nervous.

To CancerDad, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
    swtevnbrz
    (female)

swtevnbrz HB User

Let us know how you make out on the colonoscopy tomorrow.

Blessings to you.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
    swtevnbrz
    (female)

swtevnbrz HB User

OK....had the colonoscopy done yesterday. It was a breeze. Slept through the whole procedure. The prep wasn't so bad either. They found one polyp that was removed for biopsy, 7 - 10 days for results. I feel confident.

Blesings to all

Old 04-29-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

swtevnbrz, I had 3 polyps that were removed and I still haven't gotten word back on the biopsy's. The waiting is the hardest for me. I have a phone number to call to get the recorded results and as of today there is no message for me. I will wait until next Tuesday and if there is still no message I will call the Dr's office.

Keep up your good outlook as I am sure it will make the waiting so much easier. I pray for a good outcome for both of us.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:10 AM   #7
    swtevnbrz
    (female)

swtevnbrz HB User

Keep the board informed about your results. I am hoping the best for us both.

Lori

Closed Thread