It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• stage lV colon/liver plus diabetes!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
    bertie54

bertie54 HB User
    stage lV colon/liver plus diabetes!

My 57 year old husband was diagnosed with colon cancer 2 years ago. It has returned in the liver last month. The doctors want him to start chemo but the treatment would be once weekly for 48 hours. He is choosing not to take the chemo. He has been diabetic for 30 years taking insulin 2 or 3 times a day. He is in no pain now. Has anyone with or without diabetes ever taken these treatment? His daughter will be married in June and he wants to walk her down the aisle and not be sick from chemo. Everyone (none of which have ever had the treatment) are telling him to take it. He is a va patient so we are limited in what we can do. The doctors at Iowa City have told him that the treatments can add only 3 to 6 months to his life. They told him colon cancer is normally slow growing so he should have 18 mo to 4 years to live.
    Thanks for any info on this treatment
    Bertie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
    ktee_uk
    Inactive
    (female)

ktee_uk HB User
    Re: stage lV colon/liver plus diabetes!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bertie54
    My 57 year old husband was diagnosed with colon cancer 2 years ago. It has returned in the liver last month. The doctors want him to start chemo but the treatment would be once weekly for 48 hours. He is choosing not to take the chemo. He has been diabetic for 30 years taking insulin 2 or 3 times a day. He is in no pain now. Has anyone with or without diabetes ever taken these treatment? His daughter will be married in June and he wants to walk her down the aisle and not be sick from chemo. Everyone (none of which have ever had the treatment) are telling him to take it. He is a va patient so we are limited in what we can do. The doctors at Iowa City have told him that the treatments can add only 3 to 6 months to his life. They told him colon cancer is normally slow growing so he should have 18 mo to 4 years to live.
    Thanks for any info on this treatment
    Bertie
    Hi Bertie
    Am sorry to hear about your husbands condition. You will see from the many postings here that a lot of us are in favour of taking any chance that comes along to help us prolong life but each circumstance is different, each with it's own complications.
    My husband has had a year's worth of treatment (surgery/chemo). His prognosis was not good at start of treatment as they considered his liver inoperable but after the chemo they were able to carry out the liver resection he needed. Follow up chemo and radiotherapy were precautionary. He is a year on from diagnosis and we are very optimistic. BUT, there are no guarantees as you know Bertie. The way we both see it is that every treatment gains him more time.... and the more time he has then the more opportunity for him to make use of the new drugs and treatments that come along all the time and thereby giving him a better chance of cure. He is 45 y/o
    My mum is also just over a year from diagnosis. She had bowel op last march. She is 78. She also has secondaries to liver. She has many other probs like angina, chronic lung disease and vonWillebrands (blood disorder). We knew she would not tolerate aggressive chemo but she tried for 2 months. Side effects too bad so she stopped. But those 2 months did shrink her liver tumors and she is still here with us albeit a little frail.
    I hope the above gives you food for thought Bertie. Its a tough situation to be in. I must confess that i am a little confused about what your docs said regarding the cancer being slow growing and the life expectancy especially if it is in the liver. It clashes with what both my mums/husbands surgeons told me.
    I wish you well. Hope the wedding goes well...... June is only just round the corner.
    Good luck
    Ktee

Old 04-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Bertie:

There are SO many new therapies coming out-- many of which have less and less side effects. I understand your husband's desire to walk his daughter down the aisle... but what about beyond that-- grandkids, etc. I respect his decision either way-- it's not an easy one to make. But, with so much science is bringing, I would hope he considers all his options. I'm a young guy (31) as is your husband, with a lot of life left to live. I wish you both the best and good luck with the wedding!

Old 04-29-2004, 05:48 PM   #4
    Mclagh

Mclagh HB User

I am not sure if it is the same chemo I am now on but I had a PICC line inserted in my arm and have a 46 hour infusion every two weeks. It is only day 4 but my side effects have been virtually nil. I keep the bottle in a small pouch and a nurse comes and removes it so I am at home and doing all that normal stuff. I have also heard about chemo that can be somehow delivered right to the liver, called hepatic liver infusion?? I will be thinking of you all and hoping for the best.

Old 04-30-2004, 02:16 AM   #5
    ktee_uk
    Inactive
    (female)

ktee_uk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by B. McCullagh
    I am not sure if it is the same chemo I am now on but I had a PICC line inserted in my arm and have a 46 hour infusion every two weeks. It is only day 4 but my side effects have been virtually nil. I keep the bottle in a small pouch and a nurse comes and removes it so I am at home and doing all that normal stuff. I have also heard about chemo that can be somehow delivered right to the liver, called hepatic liver infusion?? I will be thinking of you all and hoping for the best.
    This is same regime my husband is on. He has had this current picc line in since last Oct/Nov. This weekend is the 6th of 6 treatments. Oxaliplatin and f5u. He has had another batch of 6 treatments between bowel and liver op. Here in the uk they will not give more than 12 treatments. He had kept all his hair ( a miracle as he has v.fine hair plus full beard ). Only side effects are sickness/diar which are treatable with other meds and a few probs with numbness in fingers/throat when touching drinking cold things...... he wears a pair of gloves when drinking beer !!!! This wears off a couple of days after each treatment.
    People do not even realise he is on chemo and comment on how healthy he looks !!!!! So things do not have to be bad when having some kinds of chemo.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
    Fred B

Fred B HB User

Bertie: I am 57 too. Tell your "OLD" man to do the chemo! My wife is 47 and was diagnosed with colon cancer stage 3 in May. She had laproscopic operation which resulted in finding cancer in lymph nodes. She started weekly (about 2-hours per treatment) 5FU on June 24 - she looks GREAT but the chemo has side effects. She just visited her oncologist and was advised she has "hands & feet syndrome" - basically swollen feet/hands, hands are reddish - no sensitivity feeling in fingertips - and skin on fingers starting to scale. Her doctor stated this usually happens later in the chemo - so her chemo was stopped for this week and next week she starts a program that will include wearing a pump daily for a week. Sounds unpleasant - but at 47 with a son just starting sophomore year at college - she is doing everything the doctors recommend. SO SHOULD YOUR HUSBAND!

Closed Thread