It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Lab results tubulovillous adenoma on 4 polyps and atrophic change on 1.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2004, 10:06 AM   #1
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User
    Lab results tubulovillous adenoma on 4 polyps and atrophic change on 1.

I don't know what this means so if anyone here is familiar with these terms I would appreciate your input. I am going on a search now to find out what I can on the internet. At the hospital at the time of the test I was told that they found 3 and now I understand that there are 5. I am scheduled for the endoscopy for the 6th and then a follow up with the Dr. on the 12th.

Appreciate any prayers or thoughts on my behalf.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
    swtevnbrz
    (female)

swtevnbrz HB User
    Re: Lab results tubulovillous adenoma on 4 polyps and atrophic change on 1.

Hi Karefree,

I know you are glad to get the results, however nerve rattling they are. The wait is the worst part. I am waiting for my biopsy results as well. I had one polyp removed during colonoscopy last week. I have another weeks wait, at least.

By now I am sure you have looked up these terms and know they are not as bad as they sound. It seems your Doc's want further investigation with these other tests you have scheduled. These polyps can be a problem, but if they biopsied them already then you know they are not malignant. It is good you had them removed. Keep us posted on the other test results and if you get any other information regarding the procedure already done.

I will light a candle for you .
    Blessings
    Lori

Old 05-04-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KareFree
    I don't know what this means so if anyone here is familiar with these terms I would appreciate your input. I am going on a search now to find out what I can on the internet. At the hospital at the time of the test I was told that they found 3 and now I understand that there are 5. I am scheduled for the endoscopy for the 6th and then a follow up with the Dr. on the 12th.

Appreciate any prayers or thoughts on my behalf.

Hi Karefree:

Tubulovillous adenomas are usually finger-like projectons that are frequently seen with benign neoplasms of the colon and rectum. They are ususally velvety soft, and often missed on digital rectals, but picked up on colonoscopy and endoscopy. My understanding is they can be pre-cancerous, so it's important to have them removed. But, overall, good news! I wish you the best of luck on the 6th!

Last edited by CancerDad; 05-04-2004 at 12:05 PM.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #4
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Thanks for the candle and the good luck wishes from both of you. I did find the tubulovillous adenoma info but have had not luck with the term atrophic change. That just makes me worry more wondering what it means. Do either of you know if a polyp could burst? If so could that possibly be what atrophic change is and the reason for the blood during the original attack of cramping?

Lori, I will be praying for a good outcome for you on your biopsy. I agree with you that they waiting is the hardest part. I asked my sister who was diagnosed with lung cancer last year what was hardest, the waiting and the not knowing or the knowing. She said that she knew before the doctors did. She had the most grace while dealing with it all that I imagine anyone could have though and remained calm throughout.

CancerDad, I read in another post from you of the problems you were having after your last procedure. You are in my prayers that your recovery will be swift. I have another question for you also. Is the biopsy the actual removal or would there be an addition procedure of some kind. I thought the polyps were removed when they did the biopsy. Is that correct? Thank you for your support.

Karen

Old 05-04-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
    swtevnbrz
    (female)

swtevnbrz HB User

Karefree.....root word of atrophic is atrophy, which means to wither away, reduce in size. Maybe knowing this can give you a hint about what is going on with the other polyp. I would call and ask the Doctor if you have more questions. It's your body and you have the right to know what is happening.

Blessings, Lori

Old 05-04-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Lori, I will see the doctor on Thursday and I am making a list of questions to ask before or after the endoscopy. He suggested a high fiber diet but didn't give me a written list of recommended foods. I plan to ask about that and the lab results as well as any further treatments if they are necessary.

Did your doctor suggest a high fiber diet?

Karen

Old 05-04-2004, 06:02 PM   #7
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KareFree
    Thanks for the candle and the good luck wishes from both of you. I did find the tubulovillous adenoma info but have had not luck with the term atrophic change. That just makes me worry more wondering what it means. Do either of you know if a polyp could burst? If so could that possibly be what atrophic change is and the reason for the blood during the original attack of cramping?

Lori, I will be praying for a good outcome for you on your biopsy. I agree with you that they waiting is the hardest part. I asked my sister who was diagnosed with lung cancer last year what was hardest, the waiting and the not knowing or the knowing. She said that she knew before the doctors did. She had the most grace while dealing with it all that I imagine anyone could have though and remained calm throughout.

CancerDad, I read in another post from you of the problems you were having after your last procedure. You are in my prayers that your recovery will be swift. I have another question for you also. Is the biopsy the actual removal or would there be an addition procedure of some kind. I thought the polyps were removed when they did the biopsy. Is that correct? Thank you for your support.

Karen
    Karen:

Villous adenomas generally appear larger than other adenomas, and margins are less well defined. Rectal bleeding is the most frequent presenting complaint, as is change in bowel habits and mucous discharge especially with large villous adenomas. Atrophic changes are changes in a decease of size of one or more of the polyps. I don't believe that a polyp ever bursts, but can change in size like I stated.

Also, the GI usually removes the entire polyp, as long as he/she can get it.
    -- sometimes they can't with certain polyps, but the ones that were identified should have been removed relatively easily. I would just double check with your GI that they were-- he/she should have pictures. But, I'm assuming that you are going in for an endoscopy to see if you have any polyps higher up in your GI tract. If so, the GI should again remove and send to the pathologist for analysis. Otherwise, no other treatment should be required. I think that he/she just wants to discuss this with you a few days after once they conclude you have none higher up.

I wish you the best of luck with your endoscopy-- don't worry, they will give you nice drugs and you won't remember a thing. Please keep us posted.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:47 PM   #8
    maria1912

maria1912 HB User

Karen, the removal of colon polyps and biopsies are two different procedures. After the polyps are removed, they are sent to the lab for analysis. This usually takes a minimum of about three days, then the lab sends a report to your doctor. This report should detail what was found and whether or not there is any cancer present. You can also ask for a copy of this report.
    Reading food labels is the best way to make sure you are getting lots of fiber. Check the side panels of cereal boxes. Eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Rice is also a good source. You can do a search on google for fiber content of various foods.
    Are you having a colonoscopy? I have had four, and it is really no big deal. Best of luck!

Old 05-05-2004, 05:01 AM   #9
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Karen:

Again, if the GI can remove the polyp after taking a biopsy then he/she will so that they might save you from another procedure. Biopsying tissue is just taking a "sample" to send to the lab. Usually, a GI is trained and has enough experience to know what is troublesome, and what he/she is able and unable to remove. As I stated, your polyps are such that he/she should have biopsied and removed during your colonoscopy. Again, I think the endoscopy is to check out higher in the GI tract where these types of polyps can also grow. Good luck!

Last edited by CancerDad; 05-05-2004 at 05:02 AM.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:01 AM   #10
    swtevnbrz
    (female)

swtevnbrz HB User

Karefree....

Got my biopsy results yesterday.....no evidence of cancer. Yes, my Doc did recomend high fiber - lo fat diet. He wants me to get colonoscopy every five years. I am thankful for this diagnosis.

Keep us posted on your happenings.

Blessings

Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 AM   #11
    KrFr
    (female)

KrFr HB User

Congrats , Lori, on your good outcome. I am eating lots of fruit and veggies and trying to stay away from red meat. I really like chicken and fish so that isn't really a problem but I will dearly miss chocolate.

Maria, I had the colonoscopy 2 weeks ago but just got the results yesterday. I haven't spoken to the Dr. yet but the nurse did give me the results and I tried to look them up on the net. The tubulovillous adenoma was easy to find and all but one was just as CancerDad and others said. The one negative said that he daughter had to have a resection for the same kind but she had many connections in family with colon cancer and her mother who posted said that it was sessive. I think she may have been confused or I am one because I thought tutulovillous adenoma was not sessive.

I doubt I will see the doctor before the prodecure but I will take my list of questions just in case. If not I will have to wait until the 12th when my follow up appointment is.

I keep holding onto the thought that if something bad is wrong the doctor will call me. Am I naive? A case of no news is good news? Probably so but it is helping me get through the bad moments until I know exactly what is going on and what I need to do next.

Thanks to all again for all the support and information. I really appreciate the time that people have taken to share their experiences with me. It helps.

Closed Thread