It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Change in Stool

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
    volunteer
    (female)

volunteer HB User
    Change in Stool

Hello to all. This is my first time to post and I would appreciate any feedback. I experienced a major change in bowel habits beginning in August of 2004. I tried drinking more water, exercising and adding fiber with no improvements. I finally broke down to go see my Dr in December. FOBT was clean. He recommended Benefiber which has done nothing. My question to you alll is whether I should be concerned about change in stool. For the last month I have only been producing little round balls about the size of grapes.

Most everything I read indicates that pencil thin stools are of concern. What about little round balls?

I am 45 and this is my first serious bout with constipation.

Last edited by volunteer; 01-06-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
    HyperMan125

HyperMan125 HB User
    Re: Change in Stool

are you sure that when you added fiber you were getting 25 g a day?

Old 01-07-2005, 03:31 AM   #3
    volunteer
    (female)

volunteer HB User

I believe I am close to that and may even exceed that level. For breakfast I have been having Kellogg's All Bran which has 10 grams of dietary fiber. With that I have two tablespoons of flaxseeds which provides another 3 grams. I have been drinking prune juice which adds another 3 grams. I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and try to have fruit daily. I also try to have a serving of beans or peas each day. On top of that, I have been using the Benefiber twice a day. Four tablespoons daily of the Benefiber is another 12 grams of fiber, so I think I am there.

I am drinking right at three liters of water every day not including the cup of coffee, tea at lunch, etc.. I am exercising 5 to 6 days a week and have worked up to a three mile run which is great. I have really tried to everything possible to get my system back on track. Despite my best efforts I feel like things are going from bad to worse. Argghh!

Last edited by volunteer; 01-07-2005 at 03:32 AM.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:52 AM   #4
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User

You probably won't like this but try cutting out the coffee completely for 5 days and see if there is a change. Otherwise I think you are doing all the right things. Have you tried a laxitive? Try a Senna based one if you do, they are less 'drastic' in their effect than Ex-lax for instance.

Although I have heard of the little balls thing I can't say that I have heard it connected to cancer.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User

Since your stools are obviously hard you need to add colace aka docusate to your routine to help keep your stools soft. Also has your doctor tried to help you uncover what might be causing your constipation? Have you started any medications that might be causing it?

Old 01-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User

good point mlgable, acetominaphen (Tylenol) is constipating for instance.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:26 PM   #7
    volunteer
    (female)

volunteer HB User

Thanks for alll of your suggestions. My doctor seems mystified as to what is causing the problem. We discussed my meds and he doesn't think that is a factor. I take a thyroid supplement and use an estrogen patch. I haven't tried cutting out the one cup of coffee yet.

Yesterday I saw streaks of blood on two of the small feces and so now my Dr is recommending a colonoscopy. It hasn't been scheduled yet.

During my Drs. appt on MOnday he recommended that I add a dose of the Benefiber in the middle of the day. If that didn't do the trick he recommended trying Senokot. The third option was an old drug called Colchicine. Of course all of this may change with the colonoscopy.

I am drinking more than 3 liters of water a day, and I am going regularly, it's just such a drastic change in the stool that has me concerned. I have wondered if it is possible that my hysterectomy from Sept of 2003 has resulted in adhesions. Could that be distorting my bowels and producing this problem???

Old 01-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #8
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlgable
    Since your stools are obviously hard you need to add colace aka docusate to your routine to help keep your stools soft. Also has your doctor tried to help you uncover what might be causing your constipation? Have you started any medications that might be causing it?

I agree completely with mgable. Adding a stool softner- not laxitive- to your diet might help. Usually when you hear of "ball" type stool it is due to contsipation. This certainly could be caused by adhesions to your bowel which are slowing down motility. So the surgery could be the cause of it. The little streaks of blood are probably due to alll the straining, but a colonoscopy is a great idea.

Also, often times, fiber works differently in different people-- taking a suplement could be BINDING you up, making things worse instead of better (which you have been countering by drinking lots of water). I would add the docusate, cut the fiber, and try a bathroom regimen of abdominal massage after breakfast (or dinner-- within 1/2 hr of either)-- start with lower right quadrant, slowly massage up, under the ribs and across, and back down the left side to right over the pubic bone. Done be afraid to massage a little. And starting top down first might be a better idea, and then complete the horseshoe.

Also, outside the bathroom, try to break up some of that scar tissue by grabbing the skin and working the scar with your fingers downward into the abdomen to try to break things up. Go gently, but you will get a sense of what is too much or little. A pushing motion on the skin is also great (like an "indian burn"), referred to as fascial massage, will help break that up. Did you have your hyst open or lap? I'm assuming open, but same would apply to the smaller incisions of lap.

You can also drink something warm while doing your bathroom regimen, or before if you're afraid to bring something in the bathroom with you... coffee would be great!!! For many, coffee actually has a laxitive effect, and the warmth of the liquid will help to stimulate the bowels.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it works out.

Regards,
    CancerDad

Last edited by CancerDad; 01-12-2005 at 07:16 AM.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #9
    wkat
    (female)

wkat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by volunteer
    Hello to all. This is my first time to post and I would appreciate any feedback. I experienced a major change in bowel habits beginning in August of 2004. I tried drinking more water, exercising and adding fiber with no improvements. I finally broke down to go see my Dr in December. FOBT was clean. He recommended Benefiber which has done nothing. My question to you alll is whether I should be concerned about change in stool. For the last month I have only been producing little round balls about the size of grapes.

Most everything I read indicates that pencil thin stools are of concern. What about little round balls?

I am 45 and this is my first serious bout with constipation.
    first time here. Please help...I have had diarehha every morning for the last couple months...I am waiting for insurance before I go to the Dr. Has anyone had these symtoms and if so could it be cancer????

Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
    dal29
    (female)

dal29 HB User

Hi,

My mother had the same type of change in stool. It was hard for her to have a bowel movement and when she did the stool was small, hard and pebble like.
    She had a colonoscopy and has been diagnosed with rectal cancer. We do not know if it has spread, but she has cancer. I would recommend you getting a colonoscopy as soon as possible. Most likely your situation will be different, but don't fool around. Everyone get checked.

DAL

Closed Thread